Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,595,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Jesus said He di not come to bring peace, but, a sword...and what do you do with a sword?
People tend to forget that Jesus...that Jesus they don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,228,780 times
Quote:
Jesus said He di not come to bring peace, but, a sword...and what do you do with a sword?
What sword did Jesus bring?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:08 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,151,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I said, nothing of burning in hell. I asked, do you tell people they have to repent and put their trust in Christ. If you don't then you are not giving the whole gospel.
So you don't tell people they are going to hell if they don't repent?

Quote:
I am focusing on the gospel and how it is presented rightly.
If you are threatening people with bad news then you aren't presenting the good news. The good news contains no bad news. The gospel is good news and it will prevail over any bad news.

Quote:
do you explain to them what is repentance and to repent from what?
Sure.

Repentance is from sin. It means to change your ways and sin no more.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Maybe its a spiritual sword....

I always find it interesting that the word sword contains the word "word"....

Old 12-03-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

Sure.

Repentance is from sin. It means to change your ways and sin no more.
but why must we repent? Do you explain sin to them since they have no idea what sin is or how exceedingly sinful sin is and that our sin is displeasing to God?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:23 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,217,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
To rightly divide the soul (the carnal nature) from the spirit (the eternal part of us that God is eternally faithful to).

C'mon URs, you knew that!

Old 12-03-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
but why must we repent? Do you explain sin to them and what they are doing is displeasing to God?

More questions, can you answer mine too maybe? Do you tell people the "good news" that they are going to hell unless they repent? Does that really sound like "good news" to most people?

And have you found that verse yet that says we all deserve to go to an eternal hell?

Now I will answer your question. Why must we repent? Because sin has consequences. Sin is wrong. Sin destroys. If a person continues to sin, it only leads to death. Now the good news is that Jesus died for each person in this world. He takes away the sin of the whole world. Jesus defeated death and was resurrected after 3 days. God has told us in His word that all will be made alive in Christ - death will have no victory.

Now, God's kindness leads a person to repent. God will work in you to bring you to a place where you will repent, and trust in God. Maybe today is that day.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,566,632 times
Quote:
I think Christ was authenticating His authority with the use of that analogy..The person wielding the sword gets serious attention pretty easily rather than if He were handing out flowers..

Old 12-03-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

Now I will answer your question. Why must we repent? Because sin has consequences. Sin is wrong. Sin destroys. If a person continues to sin, it only leads to death. Now the good news is that Jesus died for each person in this world. He takes away the sin of the whole world. Jesus defeated death and was resurrected after 3 days. God has told us in His word that all will be made alive in Christ - death will have no victory.
Smoking does all that too.....You have not explained sin rightly.."sin is wrong, it destroys"-that is an abstract incomplete way of explaining the consequences of sin but what is sin?....The Apostle Paul said, he did not know sin......... what is sin? How do I know I sin or am a sinner?

All I heard was me...me....me....the gospel of "me". Just what sin does to the individual totally ignoring who sin ultimately hurts and offends which is God. King David said, to you and only you have I sinned against.

How about God abhors sin, that when we sin it is an offence, like the stench of vomit in God's nostrils which is why we must repent and turn from our wicked ways

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-03-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,217,398 times
Quote:
You have not explained sin rightly.."sin is wrong, it destroys"-that is an abstract incomplete way of explaining the consequences of sin but what is sin?....The Apostle Paul said, he did not know sin......... what is sin? How do I know I sin or am a sinner?

All I heard was me...me....me....the gospel of "me". Just what sin does to the individual totally ignoring who sin ultimately hurts and offends which is God. King David said, to you and only you have I sinned against.

How about God abhors sin, that when we sin it is an offence, like the stench of vomit in God's nostrils which is why we must repent and turn from our wicked ways
(Sorry to cut in)

If you're referring to Paul's explanation of sin, it's interesting to note that Paul said sin dwelt in his members despite his will against that fact. He explained that we must die to it by the application of the cross in our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity