Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:26 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony View Post
People teaching the wisdom of man when you have wisdom of God information in the bible book is like an amateur boxer teacher teaching people how to be a pro boxer for a living.

We never go to amateurs for expertise information.
Only with the bible book is this really practiced today.
That's easy and logical for any brain to understand.
Moderator cut: deleted . . but when it is praised and promoted as the way to wisdom about God . . . I have to respond. The source of wisdom about God is within each of us (if you believe Jesus is here as the Holy Spirit). The unmistakable sign that the inner voice you are responding to is of God is if it proceeds from a positive emotion. If it proceeds from ANY of the human negative emotions, like anger, vengeance, payback, greed, lust, fear, disgust, disapproval, meanness, etc.etc . . . THEN it is of John 8:44 . . . NOT Matt 4:4 and is NOT of John 10 people. We ALL KNOW what we actually are feeling in our inner hearts and whether it is positive or not . . . there is no confusion . . . only self-deception and that is of John 8:44.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 08:49 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .c.h.i.c.k.e.n.w.i.n.g. View Post
I've seen a bunch of stuff on here from peoples saying that they may be or may not be what they claim to be.

Is there anything Christians can agree on that they claim to believe?

What is truth?

Is it reletive?
The early church called themselves, believers, disciples, saints, and the church. Not until the gospel spread to Antioch did Jesus' followers begin to be called Christians, most likely at first by outsiders.

The greek follows the Roman pattern of designating a persons' followers by adding ian to his or her name.

1 Peter 4:16
Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.

Well, the bible says a Christians is a follower of Christ, and is to worship only Yahweh. Now the bible is also clear how a Christian should live, respect all people, be humble, be honest, live a moral life, be generous with time and money, not to be a hypocrite, Don't be self righteous, dont hold a grudge, forgive other, and many more.

The term Christian is used so losely that anyone now days can call themselves Christian. There are so many people who call themselves Christian, who are not living up to what God said you had to do, to be a Christian.

You find many people who are lieing to themselve and calling themselves Christian, and are far from God, and don't even look like Christ.

I find it odd that you find people who don't keep the Sabbath, don't worship God, following after their own doctrine, are the words meanest person, steal from God by not giving tithes and offerins, don't spend time with God, don't pray, kill people with their words, don't honor their body, look like the world, and have the nerve to call themselves Christian.

If you are a follower of Christ, you want have to tell people that you are a Christian, your life will speak for you, not your words.

So, if you want to know what a Christian, then all you have to do is read the bible to find that out.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:22 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .c.h.i.c.k.e.n.w.i.n.g. View Post
I've seen a bunch of stuff on here from peoples saying that they may be or may not be what they claim to be.

Is there anything Christians can agree on that they claim to believe?

What is truth?

Is it reletive?
It is my belief that genuine Christians are those who believe in Jesus Christ and do their best to live his teachings.

Yes, there is something Christians can agree on: that Jesus Christ is the Savior and Redeemer of all mankind.

Truth is that which is, which was, and which always will be. Now go figure...

Old 09-18-2009, 11:36 AM

159 posts, read 230,723 times
What is truth? John 17:17. We can throw all our ideas out there all we want but the bible says "there is a way which seemeth right unto a man but the end thereof are the ways of death". All that matters is what God says in His word. When we die that is all that will matter. Did I live my life like God wanted me to? Hopefully we can say yes we were saved the way He said do it and we lived and worshipped the way He said do it. Otherwise Jesus will say "depart from me ye that work iniquity, I never knew you".

Old 09-18-2009, 12:14 PM

87 posts, read 134,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
It is my belief that genuine Christians are those who believe in Jesus Christ and do their best to live his teachings.

Yes, there is something Christians can agree on: that Jesus Christ is the Savior and Redeemer of all mankind.

Truth is that which is, which was, and which always will be. Now go figure...
They can't even agree on that. Ninety percent of the churches think Jesus Christ is not the savior of all mankind but only a potential savior for a small percentage of mankind. Those who insist he is the savior of all often get called heretics.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtue_summer View Post
They can't even agree on that. Ninety percent of the churches think Jesus Christ is not the savior of all mankind but only a potential savior for a small percentage of mankind. Those who insist he is the savior of all often get called heretics.
Ok, you took it further than I had intended, but fair enough, there are about 38,000 Christian denominations according to Wicki, probably most of them interpreting or emphasizing a verse or more of the bible in their own way, so how about:

"Yes, there is something Christians can agree on: that Jesus Christ is Savior and Redeemer."

However those two words are defined?

Last edited by justamere10; 09-18-2009 at 01:13 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Truth is that which is, which was, and which always will be....
"And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come;" D&C 93: 24

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/93/24#24

Old 09-18-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
What is truth? John 17:17. We can throw all our ideas out there all we want but the bible says "there is a way which seemeth right unto a man but the end thereof are the ways of death". All that matters is what God says in His word. When we die that is all that will matter. Did I live my life like God wanted me to? Hopefully we can say yes we were saved the way He said do it and we lived and worshipped the way He said do it. Otherwise Jesus will say "depart from me ye that work iniquity, I never knew you".
That last quote in context (King James version) reads:

"Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matthew 7: 20-23

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/matt/7/20-23#20

Those verses demonstrate how important it is to pay close attention to the lifestyle teachings of Jesus Christ (the things he asks us to DO.) To know him, we must DO the things he asks of us. Things like: keep my commandments, feed my sheep, turn the other cheek, love your neighbor as yourself, etc.

What it boils down to, as I see it, is to love everyone and be quietly but anxiously engaged of our volition in giving selfless service to others.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:51 PM

159 posts, read 230,723 times
Absolutely justamere10 I agree with the previous statement. We must do all He says and exactly as He says it. People teach all you have to do is accept Him as Lord and you are heaven bound. yet, the very verses you showed reveal otherwise. :-) Good stuff!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:56 PM

Default So you say you are a Christian...

So you say you are a Christian...

Read the Sermon on the Mount. When that is your message and that is your life story, then you can tell me you're a true Christian, a faithful follower of Jesus Christ.

In Matthew 7 it says Christ's followers are "they who do the will of my Father which is in heaven." If you're not clear about what that will is, try reading Matthew 5, 6 and 7. Go through it carefully, then come back and tell me you're a Christian.

Tell me how you mourn with those who mourn.
Tell me how you're poor in spirit.
Tell me how you love your enemies and pray for those who mistreat you.
Tell me how you give to those who ask and pray to your Father for what you need.
Tell me how you go out of your way not to judge others.
Tell me how you are careful not to do your alms before men.
Tell me how you pray in secret.
Tell me how you go the extra mile.
Tell me how you have cut off the offending hand and cut out the offending eye.
Tell me how you have built your house upon the rock, not on some uncertain creed or interpretation.

Matthew 5

You may have gotten lost in your theology. You may have forgotten the message of Christ. You may need to go back to the Bible and actually READ IT for yourself!

If you are among those who so proudly and arrogantly declare that others who follow Jesus Christ but don't believe exactly as you do are not Christians:

Add to the above deeds repentance and humble and sincere prayer to find out if it's God who wants you to go around judging, excluding, and condemning those of His children who don't bow to the same creeds and beliefs of your own religious denomination.

You know, those of your brothers and sisters who humbly follow His Son.

Last edited by justamere10; 09-18-2009 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity