Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:06 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,418,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
John 3:36 (King James Version)
"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

John 3:36 (New International Version)
"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

Luke 10:16
"He who listens to you listens to me; he who rejects you rejects me; but he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."

You're not rejecting me................
AIONIOS NEVER MEANS ETERNAL

For aionios, or any combination thereof, to mean "eternal" its noun form MUST mean eternal. It doesn’t. It is impossible for the adjective aionios to mean eternal. Aionios is an adjective. Just as the function of "American" (adj.) is to inform us of that which pertains to America (it is never greater than "America") thus also the function of "aionios" (adj) is to inform us of that which pertains to the eon(s). It is never greater than the eons. No aion is eternal. Therefore it is impossible for that which pertains to the eons to be eternal. See
THE EONS OF THE BIBLE WITH CONCORDANCE
The eons of the Bible With Concordance, God’s purpose of the eons.

A common argument is that the subject matter changes aion from meaning a long period of time to eternal. This is simply not true.
There are many places in the Bible where the translation of aion as eternal or everlasting makes no sense at all. But there are no places in the Bible where the translation of aion as a limited period of time does not make perfect sense.
Copy and paste into Google
tentmaker comparative concordance
Comparative Concordance of how the Greek words aion and aionios are translated in various Bible translations

TWO COMMON QUESTIONS

QUESTION ONE:
If aionion NEVER means eternal, won’t the life of God come to an end?

ANSWER: Of course God is eternal, but that is not what the use of the word aionios is saying about Him. God is the God of the eons.

THE EONS HAVE A BEGINNING
Literal Translation versus / King James Version

Heb.1:2 God made the eons / God made the worlds
I Cor. 2:7 before the eons / before the world
2Tim.1:9 before eonian times / before the world began

THE EONS END, INDIVIDUALLY AND COLLECTIVELY
Heb. 9:26 the end of the eons / the end of the world
1 Cor. 10:11 the ends of the eons / the ends of the world
Matt. 24:3 the end of the eon / the end of the world

HOW MANY EONS ARE THERE?
Col.1:26 hid from eons Past / hid from ages
Lu. 20:34 this eon Present / this world
Eph. 2:7 eons to come Future / ages to come
A minimum of five eons indicated

THE PURPOSE OF THE EONS
• Eph.3:8-11 purpose of the eons / eternal purpose
Eph. 1:9-1l; PhiI.2:9-l1; Col.1:l5-21; I Cor. 15:20-28

QUESTION TWO:
If aionion NEVER means eternal, won’t the life of the believer come to an end since the word is applied to both the life of the believer, and the punishment of the non-believer?

ANSWER:
While the believer is enjoying aionion life, the unbeliever will experience kolasis aionion Matthew 25:46 (which means age-during corrective chastisement).
Chapter Eleven

Believers do receive aionion life. But if this is all that God promised, there would be no assurance of life beyond the eons. However, at the end of the eons God abolishes death from His universe (I Cor. 15:26). This is accomplished by imparting the resurrection life of Christ to all who have not previously received it. Aionion life assures one of life up to that point. Beyond that, death is impossible. Furthermore believers are made immortal when the Lord returns (I Cor. 15:50-57). When one has been made immortal, death is impossible.

CHART OF GOD’S PLAN FOR THE AGES

Also see
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS An Analytical Study of Words

Also see
TIME AND ETERNITY (OLAM and AIONIOS) STEVENSON
TIME AND ETERNITY: A Biblical Study

There is a Greek word that Young translates eternal and that is "aidios" as in Romans 1:20, “eternal power and Godhead.” It can mean eternal unless it is limited by a qualifying phrase.
See Young’s literal translation of the Bible.

It compares with the Hebrew word qedem in Deut. 33:27 which should read
“The eternal (qedem) God is my refuge, and underneath are the age-during (olam) arms. (see Young's literal translation)
The Hebrew word olam compares with the Greek word aionios.
Both of them refer to a limited period of time.

The word aidios (not aionios) was in universal use among the Greek Jews of our Savior's day, to convey the idea of eternal duration, and was used by them to teach endless punishment. Here is the proof
HISTORY OF OPINIONS
and
The Origin and History of the Doctrine of Endless Punishment
and
Chapter 3 - Origin of Endless Punishment

Jesus never allowed himself to use it in connection with punishment, nor did any of his disciples but one, and he but once, and then carefully and expressly limited its meaning. Can demonstration go further than this to show that Jesus carefully avoided the phraseology by which his contemporaries described the doctrine of endless punishment? He never adopted the language of his day on this subject. Their language was aidios timoria, endless torment. His language was aionion kolasin, age-lasting correction. They described unending ruin, He, discipline, resulting in reformation.

If Jesus had wanted to convey the idea of “eternal” He would have used aidios, which was understood to mean eternal by Jesus' contemporaries.

Regarding the most common argument that the same word for "punishment" is also used for "life" also see the following:
Matthew 25:46 - “Aionian” or “Eternal”
and
All three of these articles should be studied with care, especially the third one.
biblical studies: Eon As Indefinite Duration, Part One
biblical studies: Eon As Indefinte Duration, Part Two
biblical studies: Eon As Indefinte Duration, Part Three
also see:
biblical studies: The Greek Word Aiõn
biblical studies: SCRIPTURE TRANSLATION PRINCIPLES
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:12 PM

11,972 posts, read 3,795,066 times
Thank you Rodger ......

Old 07-21-2009, 06:26 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,540,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Those whom you and many others presently condemn for ever, God will eventually reconcile.
"
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

"He who listens to you listens to me; he who rejects you rejects me; but he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth...."John 14:6

Old 07-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
"
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

And the wrath remains for the (AGE) which has a beginning and an (END)

God is also not mocked because what a man sows, he shall also reap.

Judgement is on deeds.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:38 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,968,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post

For aionios, or any combination thereof, to mean "eternal" its noun form MUST mean eternal. It doesn’t. It is impossible for the adjective aionios to mean eternal. Aionios is an adjective. Just as the function of "American" (adj.) is to inform us of that which pertains to America (it is never greater than "America") thus also the function of "aionios" (adj) is to inform us of that which pertains to the eon(s). It is never greater than the eons. No aion is eternal. Therefore it is impossible for that which pertains to the eons to be eternal.

Well, I see things in a figurative and literal light so it can be either one and in the correct perspective of usage it does not hinder the belief.

The problem with some of the teachings on this word it promotes a grammar rule that does not exist so therefor the teaching of such things can be rightly questioned.

L Ray Smith says that an Adjective of a noun cannot be greater than the noun it was derived from, there is no such rule since Superior is an adjective of Super.

I can read any translation and see Gods ultimate goal to reconcile all mankind and see it within the words that are in the translation. But that's just me.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:41 PM

Default Aionios NEVER means eternal

Quote:
"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

Yo, twin.spin. I can play the repeat the post game too.
The difference is I read yours, but you don't read mine.

For aionios, or any combination thereof, to mean "eternal" its noun form MUST mean eternal. It doesn’t. It is impossible for the adjective aionios to mean eternal. Aionios is an adjective. Just as the function of "American" (adj.) is to inform us of that which pertains to America (it is never greater than "America") thus also the function of "aionios" (adj) is to inform us of that which pertains to the eon(s). It is never greater than the eons. No aion is eternal. Therefore it is impossible for that which pertains to the eons to be eternal. See

A common argument is that the subject matter changes aion from meaning a long period of time to eternal. This is simply not true.
There are many places in the Bible where the translation of aion as eternal or everlasting makes no sense at all. But there are no places in the Bible where the translation of aion as a limited period of time does not make perfect sense.
Copy and paste into Google
Comparative Concordance of how the Greek words aion and aionios are translated in various Bible translations

TWO COMMON QUESTIONS

QUESTION ONE:
If aionion NEVER means eternal, won’t the life of God come to an end?

ANSWER: Of course God is eternal, but that is not what the use of the word aionios is saying about Him. God is the God of the eons.

THE EONS HAVE A BEGINNING
Literal Translation versus / King James Version

Heb.1:2 God made the eons / God made the worlds
I Cor. 2:7 before the eons / before the world
2Tim.1:9 before eonian times / before the world began

THE EONS END, INDIVIDUALLY AND COLLECTIVELY
Heb. 9:26 the end of the eons / the end of the world
1 Cor. 10:11 the ends of the eons / the ends of the world
Matt. 24:3 the end of the eon / the end of the world

HOW MANY EONS ARE THERE?
Col.1:26 hid from eons Past / hid from ages
Lu. 20:34 this eon Present / this world
Eph. 2:7 eons to come Future / ages to come
A minimum of five eons indicated

THE PURPOSE OF THE EONS
• Eph.3:8-11 purpose of the eons / eternal purpose
Eph. 1:9-1l; PhiI.2:9-l1; Col.1:l5-21; I Cor. 15:20-28

QUESTION TWO:
If aionion NEVER means eternal, won’t the life of the believer come to an end since the word is applied to both the life of the believer, and the punishment of the non-believer?

ANSWER:
While the believer is enjoying aionion life, the unbeliever will experience kolasis aionion Matthew 25:46 (which means age-during corrective chastisement).
Chapter Eleven

Believers do receive aionion life. But if this is all that God promised, there would be no assurance of life beyond the eons. However, at the end of the eons God abolishes death from His universe (I Cor. 15:26). This is accomplished by imparting the resurrection life of Christ to all who have not previously received it. Aionion life assures one of life up to that point. Beyond that, death is impossible. Furthermore believers are made immortal when the Lord returns (I Cor. 15:50-57). When one has been made immortal, death is impossible.

CHART OF GOD’S PLAN FOR THE AGES

Also see
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS An Analytical Study of Words

Also see
TIME AND ETERNITY (OLAM and AIONIOS) STEVENSON
TIME AND ETERNITY: A Biblical Study

There is a Greek word that Young translates eternal and that is "aidios" as in Romans 1:20, “eternal power and Godhead.” It can mean eternal unless it is limited by a qualifying phrase.
See Young’s literal translation of the Bible.

It compares with the Hebrew word qedem in Deut. 33:27 which should read
“The eternal (qedem) God is my refuge, and underneath are the age-during (olam) arms. (see Young's literal translation)
The Hebrew word olam compares with the Greek word aionios.
Both of them refer to a limited period of time.

The word aidios (not aionios) was in universal use among the Greek Jews of our Savior's day, to convey the idea of eternal duration, and was used by them to teach endless punishment. Here is the proof
HISTORY OF OPINIONS
and
The Origin and History of the Doctrine of Endless Punishment
and
Chapter 3 - Origin of Endless Punishment

Jesus never allowed himself to use it in connection with punishment, nor did any of his disciples but one, and he but once, and then carefully and expressly limited its meaning. Can demonstration go further than this to show that Jesus carefully avoided the phraseology by which his contemporaries described the doctrine of endless punishment? He never adopted the language of his day on this subject. Their language was aidios timoria, endless torment. His language was aionion kolasin, age-lasting correction. They described unending ruin, He, discipline, resulting in reformation.

If Jesus had wanted to convey the idea of “eternal” He would have used aidios, which was understood to mean eternal by Jesus' contemporaries.

Regarding the most common argument that the same word for "punishment" is also used for "life" also see the following:
Matthew 25:46 - “Aionian” or “Eternal”
and
All three of these articles should be studied with care, especially the third one.
biblical studies: Eon As Indefinite Duration, Part One
biblical studies: Eon As Indefinte Duration, Part Two
biblical studies: Eon As Indefinte Duration, Part Three
also see:
biblical studies: The Greek Word Aiõn
biblical studies: SCRIPTURE TRANSLATION PRINCIPLES

Old 07-21-2009, 06:58 PM

Default Jesus is the actual saviour of all

Quote:

JESUS IS THE ACTUAL (NOT JUST POTENTIAL) SAVIOUR OF ALL

Rejecting Jesus and not believing in Him is a temporary condition.

Sooner or later all fallen creatures everywhere will accept Jesus and believe in Him and enjoy His life after God's wrath (kolasis aionios, which means age-during corrective chastisement), motivated by his love, has done it's corrective work.

See the contents of the following link which Scripturally deals with the many aspects of the subject.
Savior of the World Series

Sadly, twin.spin will probably have no interest whatsoever in finding out that the Bible teaches that God is sooner or later save all fallen creatures from everthing from which they need to be saved (including their stubborn wills) because of what Christ accomplished by His death and resurrection, through the power in the blood of His cross.

Last edited by rodgertutt; 07-21-2009 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Well, I see things in a figurative and literal light so it can be either one and in the correct perspective of usage it does not hinder the belief.

The problem with some of the teachings on this word it promotes a grammar rule that does not exist so therefor the teaching of such things can be rightly questioned.

L Ray Smith says that an Adjective of a noun cannot be greater than the noun it was derived from, there is no such rule since Superior is an adjective of Super.

I can read any translation and see Gods ultimate goal to reconcile all mankind and see it within the words that are in the translation. But that's just me.
Paul,

I also am not too concerned over the "grammar" issue, I am more concerned over how there is 2 different meanings of the same word, and its dependent on what is being described. So when the word is used for life and damnation it has one meaning {eternal} and when it used in any other place it has a different meaning {world} {age} For a lot of people they would assume that there is 2 different words being used in the original, however, it is the same word.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Default aionian ALWAYS means age-during, NEVER eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Paul,
I am more concerned over how there is 2 different meanings of the same word, and its dependent on what is being described. So when the word is used for life and damnation it has one meaning {eternal} and when it used in any other place it has a different meaning {world} {age} For a lot of people they would assume that there is 2 different words being used in the original, however, it is the same word.
Was it not clear to you from post 107 that it NEVER has two different meanings?
This link makes that very clear
http://www.saviourofall.org/Tracts/Eons2.html

http://www.tentmaker.org/articles/co...ance_aion.html

Last edited by rodgertutt; 07-21-2009 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
Was it not clear to you from post 107 that it NEVER has two different meanings?
It is clear to me that it does not have 2 meanings - but what I see about twinspin and others posting is that even after lots of posts about "how can aion and aionios have 2 meanings?" they still go to their KJV and say but look it says right there - its ETERNAL, or they ignore the question and quote scripture that says ETERNAL damnation like it proves that the life and damnation are eternal.

Still waiting for a reply from twinspin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity