Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 09:39 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,418,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
have you tried underlining in your posts yet?
Alan not everyone posts the same way, I don't complain about the way you post, so at least allow me the same freedom you enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Did a darn good job at it although....

It was pointless.
clarification is never pointless

Old 08-23-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
Scott, he's not saying there are any physical parenthesis in the greek text. You are misunderstanding him. It's a matter of interpretation. When he says "not sufficiently noticed" he's not talking about any physical parenthesis marks that went unnoticed.
Hes talking about the mode of speach.

Do you really think He would have stated such if it was not there?

would not stating something that was not there bring him under ridicual of from other Greek scholars?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
For Pneuma to accept that - he would have to be "wrong" and so far he has not showed me that he is prepared to be "wrong".
before you try to pull the mote out of my eyes get rid of the beam in your own.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:51 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,907,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Man did not have to be disobedient to overcome evil with good, bless those who cursed him, love his enemies, forgive the trespasses against him or endure suffering and overcome sin.

That's not what I said.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
As for Scotts reading, it would be out of context in my opinion since it moves the one part to another portion and breaks the original context.
It is NOT MY READING, its Adam Clarkes who happens to be a Greek scholar.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
[/font][/color]

That's not what I said.
Bob in order for man to enter sin and death man had to be disobdeint correct? Is that not what you mean by God planned for man to enter into death?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I see that to support your point you conveniently ignore most of what God's Word says about salvation and the conversion process.

There are three entities at play - the mind, the flesh, and the spirit.

The flesh is our physical bodies and is created/programmed by God to function the way it does. It does much on its own, and none of that is "sin"; it fights disease, it causes breathing to happen, it creates chemicals to signal our minds that we are hungry, sleepy, in pain, comfortable, etc.

Our spirits are the parts of us that are given by God. It is our spirits which cause us to understand God to the extent that we can, and to understand the Will of God.

The mind strives to control both body and spirit. The mind is carnal because in our natural state, as we are born into sin, our mind seeks to serve and satisfy the flesh rather than the spirit. A renewed mind (renewed by the Holy Spirit) seeks to serve the spirit which is given of God. But our mind (heart) is renewed as a result of our conversion, which comes by faith first, then repentance. It is up to us to believe and then repent due to that belief.

The Bible is clear that faith does not come by a renewed mind, but by HEARING, and hearing comes by the Word of God. This is why we are given the Great Commission to spread the Gospel. If the Holy Spirit were going to cause Salvation by renewing only the minds of those whom he has chosen then we'd be either wasting our time or playing a game by witnessing and preaching the Gospel. It is clear that there is a reason for spreading the Gospel, and that the Gospel message is what needs to be HEARD by each person, because each person has his or her own will.

All people have a will with a God-given freedom to make choices. If not, then sin would in effect be impossible. Sin is the result of choosing one's own will over God's. If we were in a position where our wills were "locked in" to either obeying God or disobeying God then there would be no importance to spreading the Gospel or to salvation; those whom the Holy Spirit would never renew, no matter what, would not respond to the Gospel message.

To say we have NOTHING to do with our salvation is stupid, because salvation is granted individually. By virtue of that alone, each person has to have something to do with his or her own salvation. My repentence is my own, nobody can repent for me. The Holy Spirit can't repent for me, unless God's Word is a lie, which it isn't. I must repent. If my repentence is a work of the Holy Spirit then it is not MY repentence at all; I am reduced to a bystander.

You say that nobody can "take credit" for accepting salvation; how is it a "credit" to a person to accept a gift rather than reject it? In either case, the person has done nothing. Making a decision does not change the value of the gift. If someone wants to give me a $20 gift card, whether I take it or not the gift is still a $20 gift card, I have no credit to take for the gift itself. And if I accept the gift, it would be a false pretense for me to accept credit for the $20 value of it. Even when I spend that and benefit from the gift card, I can't take "credit" for having created the value of the card, the value was there regardless of my acceptance. My acceptance of it only means that I am involved in benefitting from it; there is no "credit" to be taken for benefiting.

Salvation is indeed based on our exercise of our free wills. Yes, we each have a carnal mind. The carnal mind goes against what God's Word tells us. That is why when one believes in God's Word the belief is based on FAITH; it is based on a belief chosen by us, with our carnal minds, to go against what our carnal minds find "logical" and to accept Christ through repentance and acceptance of Him, and THEN the Holy Spirit renews our minds, and makes us "new creatures". After salvation, our minds, even though still infected with sin, strive to seek God's Will over our own.

I don't understand why you want to call God's Word a lie with your own man-made doctrine.
the Head of the body cannot say to the feet I have no need of you.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Hes talking about the mode of speach.
What do you mean?

Quote:
Do you really think He would have stated such if it was not there?
He didn't say anything is "there" in the greek text. If you think he said that you misunderstand what he's saying.

Quote:
would not stating something that was not there bring him under ridicual of from other Greek scholars?
No. The greek scholars would understand him the same way I do. You are misunderstanding him if you think there are any physical markers in the text. The phrase in question is no where near "Christ" in the text. He is saying that other translators did not notice that the phrase in question could be applied to Christ via a paranthetical phrase, and since it could be applied to Christ, it must be because to apply to Herod etc. would be "impious and absurd". He's doing the same thing you are doing.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Bob in order for man to enter sin and death man had to be disobdeint correct? Is that not what you mean by God planned for man to enter into death?

You said "Man did not have to be disobedient to overcome evil with good, bless those who cursed him, love his enemies, forgive the trespasses against him or endure suffering and overcome sin."

But I never said that. For example, I am a man. I do not have to be disobedient to forgive sinners. Your mischaracterization of what I said, implies that one must be disobedient to be like Christ..

Last edited by Thy Kingdom Come; 08-23-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity