Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,546,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post
I don't believe Jesus is a liar, ....sorry.
When will people get that the message was the same throughout the bible.... sin=bad life, no sin=good life.... The ten commandments didn't work so Jesus came to pay the debt owed by all... So if there is still a debt owed for some... do you expect Jesus to die all over again? and again? and again?

Hebrews 9:26,27 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. Then Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But now he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself.

And since all have sinned... I would guess that would mean all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 PM

723 posts, read 1,047,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
The lie is presenting a fallacy that truth in scripture only exists if it meets your approval and wording. You will expect a scripture that is specifically worded as you say yet, you will not be able to demonstrate your fallacy with your own beliefs.

It is you that actually remain in your safe thinking because you believe it is dangerous to think differently than you already do.

If I am wrong, then let a scripture stand on it's own without any explanation. By itself it is either true, or by your logic the bible contradicts itself.

1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Now rather than believing this scripture, you will have to contextualize it to fit your belief.

Try supporting your beliefs without doing so. I have no such dilemma.
So do you believe that my op verses speak for themselves or are you going to contextualize them (like katjon did) to fit your beliefs???

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 09-04-2009, 09:36 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,957,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
So do you believe that my op verses speak for themselves or are you going to contextualize them (like katjon did) to fit your beliefs???

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

I'll do one to give you an example.

Mt 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed [the righteousness] of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Why does this have to mean that there are some who will never enter the kingdom, ever?

It doesn't, it means that the kingdom will not have unrighteous people in it. You need all the words The key word "except" is saying that no one unrighteous gets in. It is a statement of assurance.

And it aligns perfectly with 1 timothy 2:4 anytime someone is saved and brought to the knowledge of truth they meet the clause "Except"

Simple.

Nothing contextualized to twist, no words changed in either scripture when I described what I believe.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:48 PM

193 posts, read 289,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71
I don't believe Jesus is a liar, ....sorry.

When will people get that the message was the same throughout the bible.... sin=bad life, no sin=good life.... The ten commandments didn't work so Jesus came to pay the debt owed by all... So if there is still a debt owed for some... do you expect Jesus to die all over again? and again? and again?

Hebrews 9:26,27 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. Then Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But now he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fwif, I don't know who the poster was trying to put words in my mouth but I meant 'sorry' very sarcastically. I don't like smart alec posterswho try to put words in my mouth I'd never say.....especially when I was just posting scritpures.....umm....

Last edited by Shawn71; 09-04-2009 at 09:56 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I'll do one to give you an example.

Mt 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed [the righteousness] of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Why does this have to mean that there are some who will never enter the kingdom, ever?

It doesn't, it means that the kingdom will not have unrighteous people in it. You need all the words The key word "except" is saying that no one unrighteous gets in. It is a statement of assurance.

And it aligns perfectly with 1 timothy 2:4 anytime someone is saved and brought to the knowledge of truth they meet the clause "Except"

Simple.

Nothing contextualized to twist, no words changed in either scripture when I described what I believe.
Thank you phazel, for your explanation. But it still doesnt explain why Jesus would proclaim that some will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 09-05-2009, 02:27 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,339,267 times
Quote:
MATTHEW 20:28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for MANY.

Jesus gave his life as a ransom forMANY. NOT ALL
it's psychê - "soul", not "life" in this verse - this does not necessarily refer to Jesus' death, the wrong translation with "life" is misleading

ὥσπερ ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου οὐκ ἦλθεν διακονηθῆναι ἀλλὰ διακονῆσαι καὶ δοῦναι τὴν ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ λύτρον ἀντὶ πολλῶν.

Just as the Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his soul a ransom in exchange for many (NWT)

Old 09-05-2009, 06:39 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,957,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Thank you phazel, for your explanation. But it still doesnt explain why Jesus would proclaim that some will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
There is no explanation needed, the verse does not contain the phrase "some will not enter the kingdom of heaven" that is a religious bias.

It is saying nothing more than in no case "except" anyone who's righteousness exceeds the scribes and pharasees is allowed.

People believe that there are some who will not, but that is not what this verse is declaring unless you change the words. Don't change the words and try again.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:36 AM

MATTHEW 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, NEITHER WILL YOUR FATHER FORGIVE YOUR TRESPASSES.

OK this one says your Father will not forgive your trespasses, if you don't forgive men theirs. CORRECT???

MATTHEW 7:21 NOT every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

This one says: Not everyone that calls me lord will enter into the kingdom of heaven, but the ones that do the will of my Father. CORRECT???

I wasn't speaking just for the one verse that you gave me the explanation for, I was speaking in general of the many verses where Jesus speaks of people not entering the kingdom of heaven!!!!

I do not change verses or change interpratation. I read the verses for what they say. I know not everything is literal, but in the same token the universalists (not necessarily your individual views phazel) claim that all the verses which support our views are parables or not to be taken litterally. On the other hand the ones that state say.... Saviour of the world literally means everyone in the world. And I agree he is the Saviour of the world, but the world will not all accept him as their Saviour. I guess what it boils down to is at least we both consider him our Saviour RIGHT???

GOD BLESS YOU, PHAZEL
ALMOST2L8

Old 09-05-2009, 07:49 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,311,771 times
Quote:
The lie is presenting a fallacy that truth in scripture only exists if it meets your approval and wording. You will expect a scripture that is specifically worded as you say yet, you will not be able to demonstrate your fallacy with your own beliefs.

It is you that actually remain in your safe thinking because you believe it is dangerous to think differently than you already do.

If I am wrong, then let a scripture stand on it's own without any explanation. By itself it is either true, or by your logic the bible contradicts itself.

1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Now rather than believing this scripture, you will have to contextualize it to fit your belief.

Try supporting your beliefs without doing so. I have no such dilemma.
Scripture does not have to say word for word, But the Word (Jesus) have to have said it through is mouth, and He didn't say it, if so, we would have it in His word. Sorry, if Jesus didn't say, then it was made up throught the mouths of men. I will take Jesus word and not mans.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:53 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

Yes, I agree with you that Jesus died for our sins, all of our sins. But all will not come to Jesus, He even said that. Life is coming to Him. Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life. But there are some who are coming to other gods, not to Jesus.

So, if people continue to go to other gods, then that means they are not coming to the one who will give them life.

I am not against all people being saved, I honestly want all to be saved, but God says all will not come to me, they refuse, because they are ignorant and even think that other gods can save them. Like Shawn71 says, Jesus is not a man that He should like, so I will stick with Him (Jesus). So, if you want to argue with this debate of all being saved argue with Jesus, because I am only going by what He said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity