Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:57 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
She should do her best...at all times,,,in whatever she is doing...

Or get out of that line of work.
That is just so wrong on so many levels. If I, as a doctor, refuse to do an abortion should I also find another job?

We are supposed to be in the world but not of the world...what would distinguish me as a Christian from the rest of the world if I acted exactly as they do? I have just as much right to refuse to compromise my beliefs as they have a right to go elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 01:39 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
That is just so wrong on so many levels. If I, as a doctor, refuse to do an abortion should I also find another job?

a doctor has to do what the laws and the doctor rules tell he has to do.
There are also hospital rules that the doctor has to follow.

If a doctor cant follow the rules, then he (or she) needs to find a different job.
Shall we have some doctors in the emergency room that ask "What faith are you?" before they help you?
Shall we have doctors asking us "Who did you vote for?" before they help?

Im sure the people in the bible story who walked by the hurt man in the road felt that they had a good reason not to stop and help him..
It was left to the Good Samaritan to help.

That is to be the Christians guide,,,a person who sees only people asking for help, and helps them.

The Good Samaritan did not ask any questions of the man in the road....he just helped.

When Jesus asked the lady at the well for a drink of water, h violated many rules in doing so...
But he still did so.

Here is a question for you then about the topic of Abortion.
Now as you may know, Im about the most strongly Pro-Life member of this forum,,,so pay attention to how I word this Abortion Question....

Your friend is going to get an abortion.
She asks you to go with her because she is scared.
You and her walk over to the place, and you hold the door for her to go in...
Do you go in?
Do you go with her, hold her hand, wipe her tears?

Or do you stand outside?

Old 10-17-2009, 06:52 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

We are supposed to be in the world but not of the world...what would distinguish me as a Christian from the rest of the world if I acted exactly as they do? I have just as much right to refuse to compromise my beliefs as they have a right to go elsewhere.
If you are a doctor you don't have to work at an abortion clinic.If you are a justice of the peace you do have to follow federal law as it pertains to 'civil marriages'.

There was nothing contained within the article I read that said his 'religious beliefs' had anything to do with his position and it is irrelevant anyway as he does civil ceremonies,not religious ones.

I also think in this day and age that any christian would be thrilled that the interracial couple wants to marry,rather than live in sin and have children without benefit of marriage.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:20 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Default What does abortion have to with it?

Doctors don't have to do everything medical! You don't go to a Cardiologist if you have cancer....if you want an abortion you go to a clinic that specializes in it. It would be downright dangerous to go to a doctor for an abortion who was never trained in the procedures.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:30 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,272 times
My cousin is not Christian, and he is a gynecologist now, he had to peform an abortion during his internship/residency.

He was supporting a family of 6, they were poor, and he could have earned oodles of money performing abortions, but he choose not to. I remembered him coming to my Mom's house, choked up, and giving details regarding the procedure that caused him to be literally nauseous.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
My cousin is not Christian, and he is a gynecologist now, he had to peform an abortion during his internship/residency.

He was supporting a family of 6, they were poor, and he could have earned oodles of money performing abortions, but he choose not to. I remembered him coming to my Mom's house, choked up, and giving details regarding the procedure that caused him to be literally nauseous.

THAT is where you'd draw the line if you were so concerned about doing something that was against what you valued. He could have chose another medical field where abortion would never be an issue. And I commend him for not choosing the oodles of money. Just the thought of being an abortion doctor....(shuddering). (That coming from a non believer)!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
THAT is where you'd draw the line if you were so concerned about doing something that was against what you valued. He could have chose another medical field where abortion would never be an issue. And I commend him for not choosing the oodles of money. Just the thought of being an abortion doctor....(shuddering). (That coming from a non believer)!
Your inner self reveals your belief, DaniMae . . . not what we profess outwardly. Only a spiritually dead soul could perform an abortion without it affecting them negatively. You are far from spiritually dead . . . that makes you a believer(in God) . . . the only belief that truly matters (There IS only ONE after all). What we humans believe has NOTHING to do with what IS.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:09 PM

Default What?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your inner self reveals your belief, DaniMae . . . not what we profess outwardly. Only a spiritually dead soul could perform an abortion without it affecting them negatively. You are far from spiritually dead . . . that makes you a believer(in God) . . . the only belief that truly matters (There IS only ONE after all). What we humans believe has NOTHING to do with what IS.

So you are saying that an atheist/agnostic cannot possibly have problems with abortion? In the words of Ace Ventura..."Nonsense Poopypants!" Don't get me wrong....I in no way think it should be outlawed...but the thought of performing one is just creepy as I still see it as a person for the most part. A very touchy and volitile subject. Probably shouldn't discuss it any further as it may result in harsh words and infractions for all.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:23 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
So you are saying that an atheist/agnostic cannot possibly have problems with abortion? In the words of Ace Ventura..."Nonsense Poopypants!"
I didn't say that, DaniMae . . . I said belief in God is revealed NOT by what we profess to believe . . . but by our attitudes and behaviors toward life. Yours are not that of an unbeliever.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:10 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,485 times
What on Earth does abortion and/or a persons level of religious belief have to do with refusing to perform interracial marriage ceremonies as a civil servant? Are there actually still Christian sects who believe that interracial marriage is a sin? If so, JESUS CHRIST! What century are these so called Christians living in? And what will they do when they find themselves burning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity