Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 06:05 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,038,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This is what Jesus says about this matter: Luke 22:36 if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
And no doubt you are going to interpret this literally - and exchange your sword for a gun too? Good grief! Astonishing! This will make the world such a lovely place.

Heartsong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 06:11 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,793,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Hi Betsey,

What I don't get is how many "Christians" cling to this life with clenched fists as if it is the most important thing to them. I believe Christ died in order to deliver us from the FEAR of DEATH which subjects us to bondage. It's the FEAR OF DEATH that SUBJECTS men/women to bondage - the FEAR OF IT.
The Bible teaches personal responsibility. If you'd rather stand aside and watch your wife and kids being raped and murdered, then that is your choise. I choose personal responsiblity.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:21 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,455,410 times
Quote:
Hi Betsey,

What I don't get is how many "Christians" cling to this life with clenched fists as if it is the most important thing to them. I believe Christ died in order to deliver us from the FEAR of DEATH which subjects us to bondage. It's the FEAR OF DEATH that SUBJECTS men/women to bondage - the FEAR OF IT.
And the whole world is terrified of death and this world is full of that which it is terrified of! I hate guns. I hate violence too. I can't even picture Jesus picking up a gun or clinging to this world.

Heartsong
Heartsong, I understand, truly I do. No, I don't live in fear either, but in light of everything that's going on today, yes even here in my small tight- knit community where we all look out for each other, I'd rather have it and don't need it, than need it and don't have it!

Don't get me wrong..I'm still teaching my children to WALK away from violence any chance they get, be it in school, at church, or at play; but they still ( twins 5yrs-old & 10 the oldest) need mommy's and daddy's protection, you understand? They are still yet to young to fully comprehend, to understand the wiles of the devil. I too hate violence..but it's the reality that we live in today.

If it not for you, it's not for you. I mean, you could always throw a cross at them? (Okay, that was meant to make you smile....)

Old 05-15-2010, 06:57 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,207,471 times
Quote:
It's a good bumper sticker Bible verse. The NRA crowd would love it (I am NRA member)

Ummmm......You will notice that ALL commentary takes this as an allegory for a SPIRITUAL battle......

For Pete's sake......

RE-read my post.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
And no doubt you are going to interpret this literally - and exchange your sword for a gun too? Good grief! Astonishing! This will make the world such a lovely place.

Heartsong

I don't think he read my post......That particular verse is NEVER taken literally. It is talking about a spiritual battle that we are to prepare for. THE SWORD OF TRUTH! Keep fighting with the truth! But, since most people don't even know what the truth is anymore......sigh.

He that hath no sword, let him... buy one. Not to be taken literally, but a striking way of saying that enemies upon every side will assail them. Luke 22:36 He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Ummmm......You will notice that ALL commentary takes this as an allegory for a SPIRITUAL battle......

For Pete's sake......

RE-read my post.
Do you see doctors? Why? Why don't you just leave it to God?

Do you feed your family? Why don't you let God feed them?

If you feed them, then why won't you defend them?

What's next? You gonna let go of the steering wheel of your car and tell God to steer the car?

Personal responsibility and common sense are Biblical, and foolishness is also discussed in detail in the Bible.

Matthew 4:7 Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’â€

Old 05-15-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Do you see doctors? Why? Why don't you just leave it to God?

Do you feed your family? Why don't you let God feed them?

If you feed them, then why won't you defend them?

What's next? You gonna let go of the steering wheel of your car and tell God to steer the car?

Personal responsibility and common sense are Biblical, and foolishness is also discussed in detail in the Bible.

Matthew 4:7 Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

Ummmm. Finn_Jarber. You are not arguing with me. NONE of what I posted was from me. ALL was commentary from what some people call THE BEST and MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE teachers and preachers out there.....

Just throwing it out there for you, as so many posters out there like to talk so much about taking verses out of context and reading things into them that aren't there.

You can have whatever political views you want, but don't use that verse to back yourself up.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Ummmm. Finn_Jarber. You are not arguing with me. NONE of what I posted was from me. ALL was commentary from what some people call THE BEST and MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE teachers and preachers out there.....

Just throwing it out there for you, as so many posters out there like to talk so much about taking verses out of context and reading things into them that aren't there.

You can have whatever political views you want, but don't use that verse to back yourself up.
Why do you think I called it a bumber-sticker verse? Because it'is a JOKE.

Please make an effort to discuss the topic, and reply to the points which have been presented to you, and so far 100% ignored by you.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Why do you think I called it a bumber-sticker verse? Because it'is a JOKE.

Please make an effort to discuss the topic, and reply to the points which have been presented to you, and so far 100% ignored by you.
Hi Finn_Jarber,

Let me know what I ignored on this particular thread and I will get back to you.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Hi Finn_Jarber,

Let me know what I ignored on this particular thread and I will get back to you.
Posts 22 and 26 for example. You clung to the bumper sticker verse and ignored everything since then.

Now they make shirts too. The pro-gun lobby uses it all the time. It is also knows as the "Cool Hand Luke 22:36" verse.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity