Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:45 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,200,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Bible teaches personal responsibility. If you'd rather stand aside and watch your wife and kids being raped and murdered, then that is your choise. I choose personal responsiblity.
Quote:
Do you see doctors? Why? Why don't you just leave it to God?

Do you feed your family? Why don't you let God feed them?

If you feed them, then why won't you defend them?

What's next? You gonna let go of the steering wheel of your car and tell God to steer the car?

Personal responsibility and common sense are Biblical, and foolishness is also discussed in detail in the Bible.

Matthew 4:7 Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’”
Quote:
Posts 22 and 26 for example. You clung to the bumper sticker verse and ignored everything since then.

Now they make shirts too. The pro-gun lobby uses it all the time. It is also knows as the "Cool Hand Luke 22:36" verse.
Thanks, Finn_Jarber.

I thought this was about bringing guns to church. But, yes, if my daughter or somebody I cared about were being hurt, I would "take them out."

I just don't think its a good idea to arm angry, fearful, self-righteous, pill-popping folks with firepower. But, whatever....

If you want to have a gun, I don't really care. Just don't use that particular verse from scripture to back your right to carry one is all I'm saying.

I did not understand the joke. Sorry....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 08:12 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I thought this was about bringing guns to church. But, yes, if my daughter or somebody I cared about were being hurt, I would "take them out."
That's my point.

Quote:
I just don't think its a good idea to arm angry, fearful, self-righteous, pill-popping folks with firepower. But, whatever....
You can't judge people like that. Most gun carrying people are regular folks, and not angry, fearful, self-righteous, pill-popping maniacs.

Quote:
If you want to have a gun, I don't really care. Just don't use that particular verse from scripture to back your right to carry one is all I'm saying.
I am licenced to carry a gun, but I have never taken one to church, and typically don't carry one on me elsewhere either. I have guns at home and would use the to defend my family against a home invader, but even then only if the invaders were armed and would refuse to retreat. If you have ever taken karate classes, you'll know that they always stress that just because you have the ability to cause harm to others, the best way is always to try to avoid violence.

As far as the Bible is concerned, the Bible says self defence is justified.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
That's my point.

You can't judge people like that. Most gun carrying people are regular folks, and not angry, fearful, self-righteous, pill-popping maniacs.
That's good to know. You put my mind a little more at ease. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

I just know the tone of the population has changed as of late, and the people that I have heard talking, well........I'm worried.

But, never mind.

[/quote=Finn_Jarber;14194385]I am licenced to carry a gun, but I have never taken one to church, and typically don't carry one on me elsewhere either. I have guns at home and would use the to defend my family against a home invader, but even then only if the invaders were armed and would refuse to retreat. If you have ever taken karate classes, you'll know that they always stress that just because you have the ability to cause harm to others, the best way is always to try to avoid violence.

As far as the Bible is concerned, the Bible says self defence is justified.[/quote]

I know a bit about karate, yes. And of course you can defend yourself. Go right ahead. I understand where you are coming from and I have argued these things myself.

But, darkness attracts darkness. Fear can attract violence. I just hope you are relying on GOD more than your firepower, cleverness, and strength.

If the WHOLE WORLD were to start powering up because of fear and anger; oh, wait........

Last edited by herefornow; 05-15-2010 at 08:47 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 04:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I just know the tone of the population has changed as of late, and the people that I have heard talking, well........I'm worried.
Yes, things are changing, and the country is divided. The right-wing propaganda machine has managed to spread a lie that Obama will take everyone's guns away, and it resulted in huge increase in gun and ammunition sales. Now many people who never had guns before have guns now, and many people have stockpiles ammunition at home. Remember the message in 2008 "you better start buying canned food and ammo is Obama wins". The clouds are gathering in US, and I am so disgusted with right-wing politicians that I won't vote for them again. I am disgusted with left wing too, so that leaves only the independents and libertarians to vote for, but the tea party endorses them, and the tea party spreads a lie too, so I won't have many choices in 2010 and 2012. What a shame.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, things are changing, and the country is divided. The right-wing propaganda machine has managed to spread a lie that Obama will take everyone's guns away, and it resulted in huge increase in gun and ammunition sales. Now many people who never had guns before have guns now, and many people have stockpiles ammunition at home. Remember the message in 2008 "you better start buying canned food and ammo is Obama wins". The clouds are gathering in US, and I am so disgusted with right-wing politicians that I won't vote for them again. I am disgusted with left wing too, so that leaves only the independents and libertarians to vote for, but the tea party endorses them, and the tea party spreads a lie too, so I won't have many choices in 2010 and 2012. What a shame.
I have been disgusted for a very long time. I try to not read the news (I don't have T.V.), but when I do, well......the steam starts pouring out of my ears. So.....

I'm trying to keep things simple for now; Just studying scripture and remembering that the God of Agape Love is much different than the god's of war, mischief, violence, darkness, and general mayhem.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:29 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,448,153 times
Quote:

How long can a person be repped for a particular comment? Someone said as long as it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll. A one, a two , a three , a four , a five , a six and on and on...........................and on!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity