Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,405,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Not to mention that you don't have to be a trinitarian to understand that Jesus is the express image of the Father.
The funny thing is if you said "Jesus is the express image of the Father is an easy wasy of explaining the trinity" , all the trinitarians would be in agreement with you , why ? because you mentioned 2 parts of the christian trinity, the fact of the matter is many of the orthodox christian foot soldiers will blindly follow anything that uses the words eternal torment, trinity,judgement,condemnation, wrath and all the other stuff that orthodoxy is focused on .

An angry Universalist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,018,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888
Not to mention that you don't have to be a trinitarian to understand that Jesus is the express image of the Father.
An image of someone is not that someone. Allow me to explain.

When Jesus held a coin and asked His interrogators, "Whose image is this" and they said "Caesars" they did not think the image was literally Caesar but was a representation of what He looked like and what He represented as a ruler of the empire.

Thus also, Christ, being the image of the invisible God:

2Co 4:4 in whom the god of this eon blinds the apprehensions of the
unbelieving so that the illumination of the evangel of the glory of Christ,
Who is the Image of the invisible God, does not irradiate them."

is not THAT invisible God but is a representative of God.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:23 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,621,301 times
then SBU has changed, that was not the requirement for salvation 45 years ago.
billy graham never made that a requirement for salvation either.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 PM

11,948 posts, read 3,774,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
then SBU has changed, that was not the requirement for salvation 45 years ago.
billy graham never made that a requirement for salvation either.
It seems to me that the trinity was part of the tenents/doctrines/creeds of the Roman Catholic Church -- it is what they put in place to bind the people to them and unify them -- if you did not believe what they said you were a heretic and not "saved" The pope is the judge and jury for "that system" the protestant chuches have tried to brake away from that control, but still try and exert their control over the people with statements like "If you do not believe that Jesus Christ is God, you are not saved" and "If you do not believe like we do you are not part of 'the church' " to me it seems that they say that they are following the Holy Spirit and so everything they believe is true, and denying that the Holy Spirit is working in anyone else unless it is something they believe that they think does not relate to salvation and then it is fine to have different truths

Old 06-01-2010, 02:13 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,964,944 times
Jesus did not make clear this distinction when this poor feller got all excited.

Lk 18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none [is] good, save one, [that is], God.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:23 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,218,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Jesus did not make clear this distinction when this poor feller got all excited.

Lk 18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none [is] good, save one, [that is], God.
I believe that was because Jesus had yet to go the Cross - on the premise that the flesh is the problem. We see His "taking up of the cross" as our pattern; so long as the nature of the flesh is there, carnality will mix with His nature, making us impure.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I believe that was because Jesus had yet to go the Cross - on the premise that the flesh is the problem. We see His "taking up of the cross" as our pattern; so long as the nature of the flesh is there, carnality will mix with His nature, making us impure.

The premise as I see it is Jesus own statements.

If flesh is a problem, then Jesus had a problem.

Jesus tells us that the Father is greater than him, yet he says he does not see a problem with seeing him as equal to God.

The wording tells us that being one with the father is not the same as being the father.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:48 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,218,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
If flesh is a problem, then Jesus had a problem.
It's a sensitive issue, and a bit off topic - but we see that Jesus Himself "learned obedience through the things He suffered" and prayed "not My will, but Yours".

A High Priest well acquainted with our sufferings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity