Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 04:20 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The serpent fed Eve that same garbage! "Only look, Eve. It's not so bad. God didn't really mean what He said. Touch it, it's all right. Now, bite it and open your eyes!"

God help us to put up a guard to the devil! Your Word is our sword! We will declare the whole counsel of God!

Eph. 6
[13] Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
[14] Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

Why would we need our loins girt about with truth? To trample the devil underfoot with the Word of God. He's nothing but a thief and a liar!
That's a really lame comparison to what I said Finn. You're so wrapped up in your own doctrine that you can't even see the truth when it's right in front of you. If you're not going to investigate and at least try and understand what Universalists believe then you have NO RIGHT to keep spewing these non-truths about what they do or do not believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 04:21 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Which argument do you use?

Seeing scripture in the light of how we percieve time which is how the words most often argued over in terms of "age / eternal" are actually used.

Everlasting is an abstract term, a period of time is an absolute term. Both are correct usages and does not present a problem against God saving all mankind at all.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:21 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
You constantly talk about "all the mistranslations" because it's the only way to justify UR. Why won't you trust God and believe He's capable of keeping His Word true and free from errors?

CantWait2Leave,

This is the exact same argument I used to use with my dad. I can see how patient he was with me, now. Well, actually he yelled a bit sometimes, but he was trying to undo some brainwashing. I would say, "Dad, if God is powerful then he would not let humans tamper with his word." Exactly that.

He sent me some papers and then he just became quiet after a while. It took me 5 YEARS to finally take a look at them, and only because I was on a downward slope into darkness, self-righteousness, and hatred.

When I DID start looking, I was BLOWN AWAY! There ARE errors in the Bible. I wouldn't look because I was too afraid of losing my faith. There are MANY errors and INTENTIONAL mistranslations in the Bible. Not only that, people are interpreting MANY passages of scripture LITERALLY, when, if you REALLY thought about (which I would NOT do for many years) would make ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!

This has all been rather hard to go through, but it has brought SO much freedom to my soul. I no longer grit my teeth in anger and frustration (well, kind of, when nobody listens to what I'm saying, I do---kind of hypocritical of me, I know, since I would not listen to anyone who tried to tell me about this before)

Anyway, I CANNOT go back to what I was taught. It simply doesn't match up to the truth. It doesn't. One thing I am ABSOLUTELY SURE OF: Hell in the traditional sense DOES NOT EXIST! It is the MOST unbiblical doctrine in tradition.

I am still studying the rest of UR's claims. Most of it I understand, but there are some parts I am still struggling with. I am the kind of person that wants ALL my pieces in place before I tell you the truth. I am NOT playing games. Not my forte.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:26 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, most of them don't. It is a worry-free existance, but hiding their heads in the sand does't make Satan and hell go away.
Finn_Jarber,

There ARE evangelical Christians (pastors and pew-warmers alike) out there who DO NOT believe in the Greek mythological hell. Not many will say so, but, sometimes they come around if you bug 'em.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:27 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
That's a really lame comparison to what I said Finn. You're so wrapped up in your own doctrine that you can't even see the truth when it's right in front of you. If you're not going to investigate and at least try and understand what Universalists believe then you have NO RIGHT to keep spewing these non-truths about what they do or do not believe.
You were replying to someone else, not me.

But I asked you who Satan is, and you did not answer. Is he the fallen cherub angel, the prince or Tyre, the deceiver who was thrown out of heaven?

Old 06-02-2010, 04:28 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,800 times
I do not believe Satan is a literal red beast with horns and a tail, that doesn't have any bearing on whether God saving all mankind is a reality or not.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:29 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Seeing scripture in the light of how we percieve time which is how the words most often argued over in terms of "age / eternal" are actually used.

Everlasting is an abstract term, a period of time is an absolute term. Both are correct usages and does not present a problem against God saving all mankind at all.
Okay, but you never mentioned hell. Do you believe in hell but don't think it's eternal?

Old 06-02-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Finn_Jarber,

There ARE evangelical Christians (pastors and pew-warmers alike) out there who DO NOT believe in the Greek mythological hell. Not many will say so, but, sometimes they come around if you bug 'em.
Yes, indeed there are. You'd be surprised than in some Christian denomication over 90% of the pastors do not believe in hell, and even at Baptist church 50% of the pastors don't believe it, and therefore they do not preach it. It is a sign of the times. Satan has been working hard to convince people that such place does not exist, and that even he does not exist, or if he exists, he is a lesser being than what he really is. However Jesus said it exists, so I'll go with His word.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, indeed there are. You'd be surprised than in some Christian denomication over 90% of the pastors do not believe in hell, and even at Baptist church 50% of the pastors don't believe it, and therefore so not preach it. It is a sign of the times. Satan has been working hard to convince people that such place does not exist, and that even he does not exist, or if he exists, he is a lesser being than what he really is. However Jesus said it exists, so I'll go with His word.
There's a difference between shrugging it off and putting your trust in the Living God, you know - the Savior of...?

Old 06-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I do not believe Satan is a literal red beast with horns and a tail, that doesn't have any bearing on whether God saving all mankind is a reality or not.
OK. That's one.

Eusebius, are you here? Do you believe Satan is the fallen angel? How about you Katlljj? Or Legoman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity