Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times

Advertisements

There are jeeps in the employee parking lot and two are Rubicons... one has a lot of added equipment.

The owners live for the outdoors... mountain biking and back country all the time.

They really enjoy them so Jeep must be in tune with their market?

For me it is my Samurai that I bought for $1,000 fifteen years ago... use it around the ranch and it really amazes me how capable it is and except for a battery and oil and filters... I have not spent anything on it... can anyone say stop and smell the roses because mine is not going anywhere fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 01:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Popularity, demand, hype and image. Same as anything else. Look at ford superduty trucks. They sell a TON of them. I bet most don't get used as anything more than a daily driver.
Image will outsell actual need anytime.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:54 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,695,644 times
It's a Jeep thing. You wouldn't understand.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:01 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Very interesting question, MountainGuy . . .

I have a "relatively original" 1986 Jeep CJ-7 (the last year before Chrysler took over, changed the styling and named it Wrangler) with just a little over 100k miles on the odometer and I am always flabbergasted at the attention it attracts and the offers it draws. It is not uncommon to receive offers of $12k to $15k dollars for it. I removed the windshield wipers many years ago just to discourage notes and business cards.

It is definitely a FUN VEHICLE and I baby the crap out of it but there's gotta be some type of a "Cult Following" or worse.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:40 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
They retain their value because:
  1. they are unique in the car world
  2. they really can take you almost anywhere
  3. they have a macho appeal
  4. they are very simple - mechanically speaking
  5. they are very simple - electronics wise.
  6. they are almost bulletproof (at least they used to be)
  7. their parts are highly coveted even after the vehicle dies
  8. they are the ultimate convertible - i used to remove the top in early spring and replace it in late fall - if it got wet, it got wet.
THIS ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Wranglers are consistently near or at the top of the lists of vehicles with the lowest depreciation year in and year out. This is because the demand for them, even as they age, remains extraordinarily high

So yes, that means it is hard to pick one up cheap. On the flip side, the true cost to own remains low, because you will get your money back out of it when you sell it.

I have also found both of the Wranglers I have owned to be very reliable mechanically. I sold my last a few years back when gas hit $4 a gallon, and with my commute I was paying over $400 a month at the pump!
How many vehicles out there can you look at and know exactly what make/model it is? Jeep Wranglers--you know it right away.

They are very reliable, and very safe vehicles, contrary to popular opinion.

And there is a tiered market for them at all levels:

--lately yuppie type folks have been buying them as cool looking 'grocery getters'. The have insulation inside them to quiet the noise, and all sorts of creature comforts. All of this 'stuff' drives up the cost, and puts them into a different cost class of vehicle.

--once these folks take them off lease, or they get a couple years old, the used car buyer/teenager group snaps them up.

--then, when they start to get worn out, the off road/modified group buys the bones and goes to work.

--and finally, when there is nothing left but parts, there is huge demand amongst the modified crowd for original parts and pieces.

It's a Jeep thing. You have to understand it to understand it. The look. The wave. The relatively few of them which are around. The statement they make. It all creates demand, and higher prices.

My original wrangler cost me abut $15,000. I shudder when I see them in the mid thirties. But my Nitro is getting worn out, and nothing has a cooler look than a Wrangler, so even at these prices, count me in.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:34 PM

113 posts, read 619,276 times
Wranglers are so expensive because people want them for off-roading and going to the beach. I live in Florida, and people love there Wranglers. Trying to find a used one is next to impossible for a decent price.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:46 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,268 times
Status. Culture. People pay to say "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand"
I do, however, understand that there are vehicles of the same capabilities or better with a much smoother and safer ride for far less $.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:58 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
Status. Culture. People pay to say "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand"
I do, however, understand that there are vehicles of the same capabilities or better with a much smoother and safer ride for far less $.
Care to name one of these more capable less $ vehicles that could drive the Black Bear switchbacks in the thread about scary roads?

Old 02-03-2014, 05:21 PM

24,451 posts, read 25,987,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I'd love myself a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. But $40k fully loaded, which doesn't even mean a power seat? Just ridiculous. Wonder how much margin is in that price, surely can't cost as much as other $40K premium cars. They can't even make them fast enough at the factory, the demand is crazy.

Drove my dad's '97 Sport 5 speed back in high school a lot. There is nothing more fun than driving a Wrangler with the top and doors off on a summer night. Not a car I want to drive on my 50 mile round trip commute, too rough and loud.
Used and abused. Right on.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:22 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times
I only wish mine was a good as a Toyota. Mine has an under powered injected 350 / Auto with posi front and back, and I'm sure a Toyota gets better than 20 mpg.

http://www.scotthansen.net/jeep.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram