Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 06:52 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times

Advertisements

The Jeep was built for WW2, and when those guys came home Willys Overland started selling civilian versions and the CJ was born. The term "Jeep" was said to have been coined by the soldiers after a mystical character in the Popeye cartoon Eugene the Jeep. This vehicle is as American as apple pie, and entry level versions can be found for about $22,000 new. What a better way to give a stable vehicle to a family member that is good in poor conditions.
At Christmas this guy bought one and went down a steep hill in the snow and hit the brakes. He was able to jump out just before it went over. He then left it there for 30+ days. After some guys drug it off the hill and were stripping it he showed up to claim ownership, but it was in pieces by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 06:54 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One of the guys at work has a mercedes G... seems to have no problems when he goes back country with the Rubicon guys.
Yes. Starting at $115k. I don't think it fits the op specs.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:56 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times
A redesign is due in the next couple of years.

Quote:
DETROIT -- Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said the next-generation Jeep Wrangler must be lighter and have more powertrain options to improve fuel economy.

"We know we need to update the architecture. We need to take weight out," he said.

The next-generation Wrangler is up for approval in the next 10 weeks, he said.

The Wrangler is available with a 3.6-liter V-6 gasoline engine and six-speed automatic or manual transmission. Jeep executives have talked about adding a diesel variant as well as more fuel-efficient transmission options.

Wrangler purists fear that the off-roader might lose its solid front axle in favor of an independent front suspension, but Marchionne, 61, said the issue is that Chrysler can't build enough to meet demand. Wrangler's U.S. sales rose 10 percent in 2013 to 155,502.

"The problem we have with Wrangler is that we are at capacity," he said.

Marchionne said expanding Wrangler production to meet worldwide demand is "on the table now," but reiterated that the vehicle would be built only in Toledo, Ohio.

More info in this interview with some interesting comments:

http://www.allpar.com/history/auto-s...rgio-2014.html

Old 02-04-2014, 07:20 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
They'll say the POS Suzuki samurai and Geo tracker, probably tell you a Geo storm is a great sports car too!
They don’t make either anymore. Not sure about the Samrai but doors don’t come off the Tracker without a lot of work. Top down is ok but doors off is a whole different world. I really wish Toyota made something similar to their old FJ40. I’d buy it in a second.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 AM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The Jeep was built for WW2, and when those guys came home Willys Overland started selling civilian versions and the CJ was born. The term "Jeep" was said to have been coined by the soldiers after a mystical character in the Popeye cartoon Eugene the Jeep. This vehicle is as American as apple pie, and entry level versions can be found for about $22,000 new. What a better way to give a stable vehicle to a family member that is good in poor conditions.
At Christmas this guy bought one and went down a steep hill in the snow and hit the brakes. He was able to jump out just before it went over. He then left it there for 30+ days. After some guys drug it off the hill and were stripping it he showed up to claim ownership, but it was in pieces by then.
Why would he leave it there for so long? When I used to take my Jeep to Knik river/Glacier in Anchorage I'd see abandoned trucks in the middle of rivers, I had my jeep float away and die very briefly, it's the worst feeling. I was also told don't ever leave your vehicle if you get it stuck, you'll come back to it stripped

Old 02-04-2014, 07:34 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
My friend had a black 1978 CJ5 Golden Eagle Jeep back in high school that his father gave him in 1986. That Jeep got us noticed by a lot of girls and we took it everywhere -- four wheeling, down to the beach, everywhere. Then he got the wild idea that he needed to sell it andbuy something a little "more proper" as he put it. To this day, he says that was one of his biggest mistakes in life!

I wish I had bought it off of him.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:46 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
Hands down, the Jeep Wrangler--especially the Rubicon models--are the most backcountry capable 4WD's out of the factory that are sold in the US. Excellent maneuverability on trails, solid-front-axle (SFA) suspension, great ground clearance, etc. But, most Wrangler drivers don't use them for that, and the Wrangler pretty much sucks for any other type of driving. For years, the Wrangler has also compiled one of the worst reliability records of any vehicle sold in the US. They retain their resale value because of "cult status" and because there are still people who use them for their designed purpose.

As far as a good backcountry-capable used vehicle, the 1997-2002 Jeep Cherokee is about the best bang for the buck out there. Chrysler was stupid to stop selling them, but my understanding was that they did not want to spend the money to upgrade the Cherokee to the tightening emission and safety standards. The 4.0 straight six, after its first year or two of production, was arguably the best engine ever put in a Jeep. Again, my understanding was that it could not meet the 2007 emission standards. Unlike the same generation Grand Cherokee, that had a TERRIBLE reliability record, the Cherokee was fairly decent in reliability during those last 5 years of production.

All of that said, if Toyota would bring the FJ-70 to the US, it would pirate a huge number of Wrangler sales.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Chrysler was stupid to stop selling them, but my understanding was that they did not want to spend the money to upgrade the Cherokee to the tightening emission and safety standards. The 4.0 straight six, after its first year or two of production, was arguably the best engine ever put in a Jeep. Again, my understanding was that it could not meet the 2007 emission standards.
I will argue this, because it was not the best. I would say the 304 V8 was the best, and Kaiser motors used the Dauntless V6 starting in 1966, and is widely regarded and used as a swap into older CJ's to this day. No one, and I mean absolutely no one loves the 4.0, and wants to keep it. I am Jeep and can understand why someone could be confused, but it was not the best.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I will argue this, because it was not the best. I would say the 304 V8 was the best, and Kaiser motors used the Dauntless V6 starting in 1966, and is widely regarded and used as a swap into older CJ's to this day. No one, and I mean absolutely no one loves the 4.0, and wants to keep it. I am Jeep and can understand why someone could be confused, but it was not the best.
Are you maybe confusing the 4.0L with the newer 3.8L? The inline 4.0L has a huge following. It's a wonderful engine for the Wrangler's size and weight, especially the fuel-injected models (92-06, IIRC). The 304 was a solid engine for when it came out but by today's standards its very underpowered for the gas it sucks down. The 4.0L is still in many peoples' eyes the end-all be-all Wrangler engine.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
Are you maybe confusing the 4.0L with the newer 3.8L? The inline 4.0L has a huge following. It's a wonderful engine for the Wrangler's size and weight, especially the fuel-injected models (92-06, IIRC). The 304 was a solid engine for when it came out but by today's standards its very underpowered for the gas it sucks down. The 4.0L is still in many peoples' eyes the end-all be-all Wrangler engine.
Hal,
The power produced by a V type engine is way different than an inline design. As I said, people who build Jeeps (older 81" wheelbase) prefer the 3.8 Buick V6 for it's fit within the stock parameters. When AMC bought Jeep in 1970 they extended the hood 5" and introduced the inline as base engine with an option of the 304 V8. There's a huge AMC cult following with the AMC V8 that even convert GM injection systems on to these motors. While they're are thousands of the inlines still in service, the people who build these Jeeps rarely keep the inline and opt for a better powertrain. The rolled rig I posted was a 350 Chevy TBI that was an old inline conversion.

I would add, the Wrangler started in 87 has many conversions using either the Dodge 318, 360 to the stock transmission, or a complete swap to a Chevy 350. Some are even done in states with heavy smog regulations like California. That rolled Jeep was a legal CA vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram