Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,516 times

Advertisements

^Beaver, you mean they didn't show the fine on the ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,720,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
I'm not complaining, although I did receive two speeding tickets in July, but it seems like the cops in Cincinnati worry about speeding a lot more compared to other cities.
What info are you basing this on?

Is there a per capita-highway patrol-list somewhere that I don't know about?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”- George Carlin

Wow ... this is so true! Thanks for posting.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:11 PM

269 posts, read 779,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
What info are you basing this on?

Is there a per capita-highway patrol-list somewhere that I don't know about?
You're always asking what info something is based on. It's not based on any info! If you travel enough, it's fairly easy to notice. I don't have the time, nor do I really care to spend copious amounts of time on the internet searching for facts to post on an opinion thread.

And plus nowhere in my post did I state as a fact that the local cops write more tickets than other cities.

Last edited by high mileage; 08-12-2010 at 09:49 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 06:01 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
It didn't seem that fast though since there was hardly any traffic.
That's when you really have to be careful, especially on 71. The cops hide under the bridges on the curves (a valuable lesson that you have already learned LOL), and when there is little to no traffic, it's easier for them to pull out and nail you.

And after midnight, they load up on donuts and sit under the bridges all night. Especially on the weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”- George Carlin

Quote:
Sometimes they're not even on a cell phone or have any distractions. They're just driving slow in the left lane for no apparent reason. Then when you pass them on the right, they will look over at you and give you a 'kiss my a**' look and continue to mosey along. Lol. It's kind of funny when I think about it, but it is annoying as hell during the moment.
Those are the people that have the bumper stickers that say "I may be slow, but I'm in front of you". Just makes me want to rear-end them at 80 mph.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
You're always asking what info something is based on. It's not based on any info! If you travel enough, it's fairly easy to notice. I don't have the time, nor do I really care to spend copious amounts of time on the internet searching for facts to post on an opinion thread.

And plus nowhere in my post did I state as a fact that the local cops write more tickets than other cities.
A) If there was such a list I'd love to get my hands on it ... wasn't sure if there was.

B) One of my biggest pet peaves is people just throwing ***** out, claiming it as factual when it's not. If someone makes a statement that deals with statistics, geography, etc., you need to be able to back it up because I'll call you out on that every time.

... nothing good has ever come from generalizations.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:05 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Just why do so many people believe they are entitled to speed on the highways any dam*n way they see fit? I see no difference in this attitude than refusal to obey any law. To me the law is the law, simply obey it. If you don't like it then work to get it changed.

Maybe it is the Mechanical Engineer in me, but the current deteriorated highway system in the US does not warrant speeding. When Michigan upped their interstate limits to 70, the last time I was there, approx. 2 years ago, I felt they were unsafe at 55. Maybe I think too much while I am driving, but my Engineering background constantly tells me:
. If you hit one of these big potholes, what is the probability of losing control of the car?
. Or more than that, what is the probability of blowing a tire so you have no control of the car?
. How many of you have experienced a blowout at 80mph and have any idea how you lived through it?
Sorry people, but if you just have that compulsion to speed, then go and join a Nascar team.

In the meantime, I will work diligently to petition our local police to enforce the 25 mph limit on our residential street. We have some who apparently believe it is a 1/4 mile dragstrip between the stop signs. What the Hel*l is the Big Rush?

Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,538,959 times
Kjbrill, as someone who's driven on the German Autobahn, I have to agree with you 200%. Our roads cannot handle traffic going any faster than we currently are (some roads shouldn't even be posted for the speeds they are NOW...) But, IMHO, we 'Mericans (with some exceptions) don't have the proper mindset OR training to drive as fast as we do now.

As for the I-71 "Revenooers", I agree that they're a nuisance. But I've just gotten to the point where i set my cruise control and keep right. I pretty much do that everywhere. never thought I'd say this, but I feel that OH isn't as bad about writing tickets as our Hoosier neighbors. I've gotten to where I HATE driving in IN. They set unreasonable speed limits, frequently change the speed limit and keep artificially low speed limits for far too many miles at one stretch. They also have truck lane restrictions, which are actually less safe than not having them. There were FOUR cops in the first five miles of I-65 across the river from Louisville, KY when I delivered on THANKSGIVING morning last year. Three of the four had "customers"...

There's one more beef I have, if I may; Hazardous materials (HAZMAT) loads are not allowed in the Lytle Tunnel. But the (rather small) sign that tells you that is AFTER the Norwood Lateral...

Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
kjbrill - i agree with what you are saying. i am not a speeder. i might go 5 over, but usually i go right about at the speed limit. like you say, it is breaking the law. it is like people who don't pull required permits for work they do on their house.

regarding speed, what frustrates me is that the best i can tell the speed limit is not based on safety.

here is a terribly interesting report (very thorough) on the relationship between speed limits and safety: http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewc...4&context=jtrp

on page 22, a study is discussed that shows that the fewest accidents are reported among people going 10 mph over the posted speed limit. those going faster or slower than this were involved in more accidents. this study was done in the early 80s, so the speed limit was certainly 65mph or less.

it would seem, therefore, that actually increasing the speed limits in some areas would increase safety. i would think that rural ohio interstates could safely operate at 70 or even 75mph. food for thought anyways.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:07 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
There is not a single interstate in rural Ohio which is safe for 70 or 75 mph limits. Where have you been traveling? Simply look at the condition of the road and then tell me why you think it is safe for these speeds?

Many years ago, when I-70 was first completed, I drove from my house in Cincinnati to my uncle's in Pittsburgh, a distance of 300 miles, in 4 hours, or an average speed of 75 mph. The road was a ribbon - smooth as silk. My car was a 1966 Dodge Monaco, hardtop convertible, with a 385 hemi-chrysler-V8. That thing would just fly. But, most of the trip I never saw any other cars.

I think back about that (and yes I was speeding), but have to consider the differences in the roads, traffic volume, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati