Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:37 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

Most of us older guys got our start in Cincinnati Chili with Empress. Empress was located next to (across from?) the bus station which was located just about where the P&G Garden is on 5th Street. No good poker party was complete without a few dozen Empress coneys which were smaller than the Skyline version of today. I think I would routinely eat 10 of them by myself. I remember a run for Empress when we got 200 coneys. I think that might have been $20 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:31 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
Hmm, paying attention but I have not heard anyone in this thread mention anything about whether or not they have tried any one of the 3 Empress locations. So, my question was - has anyone tried it and would you recommend it?
I did the Empress location downtown once when I was a teenager. It was your standard chili parlor but not a place that I would generally go.

At that time, if I had the money, I preferred to go to the Wheel Deli on Sixth. More often, it was lunch at the Burger Chef on Race for the silver dollar sized hamburger patty and the fixins bar.

Personally, my favorite chili parlor is Milwaukee's Real Chili adjacent to the Marquette University serves a chili that is as similar to Cincinnati chili as anything I have tasted outside of Cincinnati and the portions are not so darned skimpy. And the restaurant looks like it has not been updated since the 1930's.

Real Chili - Milwaukee, WI

OnMilwaukee.com Dining: Real Chilis still hot, 76 years and counting

Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
The Empress in Hartwell closed a while ago, although the building is now repainted, still says Empress, and looks like it might reopen. I thought their chili was a bit tastier than Skyline and Gold Star. Where are the other two locations?
I didn't realize the one in Hartwell closed. The other two are in Delhi and Alexandria - that is if they are still open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
More often, it was lunch at the Burger Chef on Race for the silver dollar sized hamburger patty and the fixins bar.
Wow, Burger Chef - that brings back some memories. Funny thing is that I was thinking about that the other day - I was walking down 7th Street near Race and I looked down the alley and saw the Burger Chef sign still painted on the back of the building.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:52 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, my favorite chili parlor is Milwaukee's Real Chili adjacent to the Marquette University serves a chili that is as similar to Cincinnati chili as anything I have tasted outside of Cincinnati and the portions are not so darned skimpy. And the restaurant looks like it has not been updated since the 1930's.
Looking at your links, Real Chili does appear to be similar to Cincinnati style, though served a little more traditionally like a bowel of chili.

But I caught note of the sour cream garnish. Have to give that a try, as I love sour cream. Absolutely drown my baked potato in it and beef stroganoff smothered is one of my all-time favorites.

As I should have commented, Cincinnati Chili is or should not be a sacrosanct institution. Of course it has its parameters, but like everything else is subject to experimentation. I have stretched the envelope with a little diced jalapeno added to the onion. At least one of the local chains offers their pepper enhanced cheese on a rotational basis. Now I have the incentive to throw some sour cream in there - can't wait to try it.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 AM

884 posts, read 2,642,395 times
I miss Skyline. Hmmmn

They really should call it Greek Cincinnati Chili --or something to that effect. People that are used to traditional chili HATE our chili or they always compare it to the Texas style.

I am so happy that WEGMAN'S here in my area sells Skyline in the can. I'd love to see a franshise open up out my way.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
I miss Skyline. Hmmmn

They really should call it Greek Cincinnati Chili --or something to that effect. People that are used to traditional chili HATE our chili or they always compare it to the Texas style.

I am so happy that WEGMAN'S here in my area sells Skyline in the can. I'd love to see a franshise open up out my way.
It is a shame some people have to be so narrow minded they cannot accept variation. I love Cincinnati style chili and I also like very much the texas style. Even then, you get an argument as to what chili is. And this also extends to BBQ - arguments as to Kansas City, Memphis, Carolina, on and on. It is OK to discuss the variations and how they appeal to you. But to just blindly exclude evrything but your favorite is negative.

Recently, my local market has apparently been overstocking what they label as stir fry beef, as they have been selling it substantially reduced. I will admit I am not particularly familiar with stir fry techniques, though the label seems to be on everything - vegetables, meat, etc.

Since I had bought several packages, I had to decide what to do with them.
  • My first attempt was fajitas - fantastic. Warmed the totillas and piled everything else on - Pure Heaven.
  • My second attempt was beef stroganoff. Cut the stir fry beef into smaller sections and ran it through my normal stroganoff process. Again - Pure Heaven.
  • The third attempt was beef soup. Cut the stir fry strips into even smaller sections, browned them, and threw them into the crockpot. Others may argue how I can consider this a soup, since the veggies I add plus the other ingredients could classify it as a soup, chili, or stew. To this I plead quilty. To me it is the taste, not the classification.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:54 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
It is a shame some people have to be so narrow minded they cannot accept variation. I love Cincinnati style chili and I also like very much the texas style. Even then, you get an argument as to what chili is. And this also extends to BBQ - arguments as to Kansas City, Memphis, Carolina, on and on. It is OK to discuss the variations and how they appeal to you. But to just blindly exclude evrything but your favorite is negative.

Recently, my local market has apparently been overstocking what they label as stir fry beef, as they have been selling it substantially reduced. I will admit I am not particularly familiar with stir fry techniques, though the label seems to be on everything - vegetables, meat, etc.

Since I had bought several packages, I had to decide what to do with them.
  • My first attempt was fajitas - fantastic. Warmed the totillas and piled everything else on - Pure Heaven.
  • My second attempt was beef stroganoff. Cut the stir fry beef into smaller sections and ran it through my normal stroganoff process. Again - Pure Heaven.
  • The third attempt was beef soup. Cut the stir fry strips into even smaller sections, browned them, and threw them into the crockpot. Others may argue how I can consider this a soup, since the veggies I add plus the other ingredients could classify it as a soup, chili, or stew. To this I plead quilty. To me it is the taste, not the classification.
I go with KJ on this. Ingredients first, recipe second. Here he a got a good product at a good price and made it work three different ways. That how a good cook makes a meal. Good job KJ!

Old 11-13-2010, 03:38 PM

295 posts, read 974,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
The Empress in Hartwell closed a while ago, although the building is now repainted, still says Empress, and looks like it might reopen. I thought their chili was a bit tastier than Skyline and Gold Star. Where are the other two locations?
That Empress in Hartwell will reopen soon. From what I have been told, it will be a company ran store. My husband and myself will be glad to see it reopen. We liked their chili and we are also huge fans of their double deckers.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
I read on the Cincy Magazine site that the family which owns Empress is hoping to make a comeback and plans to open several new locations. They're renovating the one which is currently closed in Hartwell, planning to make that their flagship location.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,824 times
If you like a lot of flavor, go with Skyline. It's the best chili I've ever tasted and I get my fill every time I come back to Ohio. Some others prefer the blander Gold Star. It's really a matter of taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati