Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:50 AM

11 posts, read 42,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Canned Skyline is available to you by mail order. Just Google it. As a life long Greek chili fan, I can tell you that there is really not much difference in the canned product and the in-store version.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. I grew up away from Cincy, but with both parents from the area we had the canned Skyline or the frozen chili and spaghetti sometimes.

Now that I'm living here and can eat at a real Skyline I think it's much better. Maybe I'm just excited about it being fresh at the restaurant, but the canned is definitely an acceptable option if you live far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 09:14 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
jlawrence... thanks for your feedback.

It is always good to hear from a connoisseur of Cincinnati brands. While my son-in-law was on a tour of duty in Iraq, the wife would send him packages of Cincinnati Recipe mix, in direct violation of all food product transport laws. Apparently he could get his local army cook to come up with the ground beef, spaghetti and cheese. He was always asking her to send more, the guys in my unit think this is great.
When I was broke, my friends in Southern Virginia (Fort Lee) agreed to pay me gas home to Cincinnati - on one condition. I had to fill their grocery list which would include:

100+ White Castles
Good Rye bread (unheard of in VA)
Turtle Soup
Canned Cincinnati Chili
Hudepohl
and other things

Nowadays, you can pretty much get anything anywhere so it is not as special to bring stuff back.

Personally, the other item I like is Droescher's French Chews. I can find them at Cracker Barrel Restaurants but more often than not, they are NOT fresh.

One other subject. Skyline (and UDF, for that matter) are terrible once you leave the Cincinnati area. When I lived in the Cleveland area, I trained a UDF manager on how to make a proper UDF milk shake. (Like you don't make a chocolate malt with hot fudge topping - no kidding.)

Old 11-07-2010, 11:09 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS View Post
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. I grew up away from Cincy, but with both parents from the area we had the canned Skyline or the frozen chili and spaghetti sometimes.

Now that I'm living here and can eat at a real Skyline I think it's much better. Maybe I'm just excited about it being fresh at the restaurant, but the canned is definitely an acceptable option if you live far away.

Oh, the fresh thing is really a lot better as you said. But my observation is that this is because of the bun, the pasta, cheese and the onion. And, while I have learned to make the pasta like the stores do, it is counter intuitive. You can't make Skyline as good at home, but the chili itself is pretty similar.

BTW, in the stores, the chili comes in a frozen block which is slowly defrosted in the steam table each morning and kept hot all day. So its not like it is fresh at any time in the store.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:42 AM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times
I'll second the advice to try the Skyline on Ludlow Avenue. It is BY FAR my favorite skyline location.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:01 PM

40 posts, read 133,117 times
One thing that really bugs me is when people from out of town go to skyline and get just the chili in a bowl (because that's how they are used to eating chili) without cheese or anything and base their opinion on that (usually negative). I think that you have to get at least a 3-way, cheese coney or possibly a chilito to truly experience what Cincinnati chili is about. Also, a lot of non-locals complain about lack of spiciness. Most skyline's have hot sauce, it improves the taste drastically.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Definitely newbies need to try at least a three way and a cheese coney to be properly initiated. I like all of the local chili parlors, but I have to agree that the Skyline in Clifton is somehow better, but that may be nostalgia talking since I'm a UC alum and we used to hit that location after drinking.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:12 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluorescent View Post
One thing that really bugs me is when people from out of town go to skyline and get just the chili in a bowl (because that's how they are used to eating chili) without cheese or anything and base their opinion on that (usually negative). I think that you have to get at least a 3-way, cheese coney or possibly a chilito to truly experience what Cincinnati chili is about. Also, a lot of non-locals complain about lack of spiciness. Most skyline's have hot sauce, it improves the taste drastically.
I've often said that out-of-towners don't understand Cincinnati chili, because the name "chili" sets up a totally different expectation. I think people would be a lot more receptive to it if it somehow were called something else.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:27 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Skyline is pretty good. I've always liked the chili from Demetrio's in Madison Place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Personally, I think the Skyline at Clifton and Ludlow is the best in town.
I like the atmosphere of that location, inasmuch as Skyline can have atmosphere, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluorescent View Post
One thing that really bugs me is when people from out of town go to skyline and get just the chili in a bowl (because that's how they are used to eating chili) without cheese or anything and base their opinion on that (usually negative).
That's how I was introduced to Cincinnati chili -- my friends didn't coach me on ordering, and I wound up with a bowl of watery meat and tomato paste. Bleah! I'm wondering "Where are the beans? Where are the chunks of tomato?" and my friends are looking at me like I've sprouted pumpkins from my ears. Took me a few years to try it again, the proper way.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:00 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
My wife believes I make her the best chili until I tasted some other chili in South Carolina. Holy cow was that ever so great.
My chili is as follows:

Ingredients:
Use a large crock pot
2 lbs of 80% - 95% hamburger then cook till brown and drain.
One large can of crushed tomatoes,
One large can of peeled tomatoes,
2 envelopes of McCormicks powdered chili seasoning,
One small can of tomato paste (some use a large can to taste)
One large can of red beans (kidney) drained of all liquid,
3 - 6 cloves of garlic,
I also use McCormicks or any other brand of chili seasoning to taste.

Put all ingredients in a crock pot and turn on high for 3 hours then low for 4 hours. Drop in some hot chili powder or "hot oil for chili" for more heat....

Old 11-07-2010, 04:24 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
My wife believes I make her the best chili until I tasted some other chili in South Carolina. Holy cow was that ever so great.
My chili is as follows:

Ingredients:
Use a large crock pot
2 lbs of 80% - 95% hamburger then cook till brown and drain.
One large can of crushed tomatoes,
One large can of peeled tomatoes,
2 envelopes of McCormicks powdered chili seasoning,
One small can of tomato paste (some use a large can to taste)
One large can of red beans (kidney) drained of all liquid,
3 - 6 cloves of garlic,
I also use McCormicks or any other brand of chili seasoning to taste.

Put all ingredients in a crock pot and turn on high for 3 hours then low for 4 hours. Drop in some hot chili powder or "hot oil for chili" for more heat....

That seems like a nice recipe for chili. Note though that the term "Cincinnati Chili" denotes something entirely different. While meat in a red sauce is involved, the combination of other flavors such as creates a dish that bears little resemblance with your traditional recipe.

Here's a link to more discussion of Cincinnati Chili:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/recip...tti-chili.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati