Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,185 times

Advertisements

I've read alot of posts of people moving to Cincy from other places in the country and I will be one of those this coming Jan for work. I'd like to get some honest feedback as to where the optimum living locations would be. I would also appreciate it if someone that has lived in Portland gave me their honest feedback as well if there is anyone that frequents this forum. (btw im Gay but not the "i need to live with every other gay person kinda of gay".. Im not defined by my gaydom)

My desires are but not set in stone:

1. Artsy kinda of area where I can possibly walk to bars, hear live bands playing, shop at unique clothing stores,

2. Kinda industrial area that has lofts and live work spaces

3. View of the river or any body of water. (currently live on the hill here where its somewhat close to our river and i can see it out our windows)

4. Not necessarily a super secure location as I can take care of myself but I do have a 68 stang and would prefer it not to get broken into. I know that lots of times street parking is all you get with lofts.

5. Style wise Im kinda more punk/alternative in my style of dress so that would be kool if i lived where that was reflected in others that are somewhat unique in their style. Im definitely not the grungy dirty alternative style more of the "i dress alternative and dont really conform all the time style"

6. Would prefer to not pay more than $1000 a month for a studio or 1 bedroom. $700 is better ;-)

Through my research on this forum list and other places, some places keep coming up... Oakley, Northside, OTR (gateway), Mt. Adams. But of course there is lots of conflicting views as which areas are safe, gentrified, artsy, conformist, etc. Generally speaking bad and good is subjective. But yea i dont want to be walking out my front door and have pimps pushing their wares and I don't want to see drug dealers coming and going across the street. But I can live in an area that is up and coming and has the younger 20somethings just working to survive.

Feel free to ask me other questions as well, im an open book. I know that im pretty specific in my desires so that will eliminate lots of options, and there might not really be a crosssection of fitting my wants, just know that I'm not tied to any one desire (except for the keeping my car safe one heh)

Thanks in advance for any input!
Dyon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 02:53 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,958,999 times
I think that you would be really happy in OTR. If you stick to the gateway quarter area, you'll be surrounded by like-minded folks as well as business people, retirees etc. Crime is getting pushed out of the area really quickly. The liberty / prospect hill part of Mt Auburn is worth looking into as well.

Mt Adams is fantastic, but nothing about it is "industrial" or "punk/alternative in style." The views are great and the people are nice though. It has virtually no crime.

Northside has everything else you mention except the views. It is in not the best topographical location.

Oakley is a nice area as well. It is more yuppie than alternative, but worth checking out. Will you have a chance to scope out the city before moving?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Oakley is a nice area as well. It is more yuppie than alternative, but worth checking out. Will you have a chance to scope out the city before moving?
I hope that I do. I'm still waiting on all the details and offers I can get. At least I hope they put me up in a hotel for 2 weeks so that I can see areas without renting sight unseen as it were. And thanks for your input, sounds like good info for sure. So the Oakley area has good views or is it similar to Northside?

Anyone else with any suggestions? :-)

Old 12-12-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfire View Post
I hope that I do. I'm still waiting on all the details and offers I can get. At least I hope they put me up in a hotel for 2 weeks so that I can see areas without renting sight unseen as it were. And thanks for your input, sounds like good info for sure. So the Oakley area has good views or is it similar to Northside?

Anyone else with any suggestions? :-)
Oakley does not have views either. The best views are in East Price Hill, Mt Adams, Liberty/Prospect Hill, Mt Auburn, south Clifton (university heights, fairview) has some good views too.

I think parts of Fairmount have views, including restoration's knox hill neighborhood.

My favorite view in the whole city is from East Price Hill.

Fortunately the architecture around here is really good, so there is always a lot to look at.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 PM

4,890 posts, read 13,875,670 times
Two niches of the city that are slowly redeveloping, pretty much "under the radar," might fit the bill: Brighton and Camp Washington. They're on the east and west sides of I-75, and in fact were once contiguous. Each is a formerly industrial enclave with some residential blocks as well, the latter particularly in Camp Washington. And both are getting off the ground as artsy communities of sorts - the numerous high-ceilinged factory and warehouse buildings that've gone mostly or completely unused for decades are ideal for loft conversions. Scoring a low-rent domicile would be no problem. Though I don't perceive either section as especially safe by night, neither are they dens of iniquity or hot spots of violence. If that were the case, the renowned Camp Washington Chili wouldn't be open 24-7 and draw the crowds that it does.
Northside remains the most "obvious" and logical choice, but you can forget about river views from any of these three areas. For a chance at sweeping vistas along with a boho feel, the best place to look would be south of McMillan St from Ravine eastward to Ohio Ave. Variously known as Fairview Heights, Clifton Heights, and University Heights, this section is heavily populated by students from UC and - as "Heights" implies - straddles a high hilltop overlooking Over-the-Rhine and downtown. "Redevelopment" along McMillan and Calhoun St's is glaringly stalled (vast vacant lots attest to this.) But a good bit of the area's funky vibe remains - a hookah bar here, natural-food store there, etc. Many are the rentals to be had thereabouts, in everything from Victorian row houses to "brick box" buildings from the 1960's. Crime is no stranger to this part of town, since collegians who are prone to be lax about walking around intoxicated and leaving doors unlocked are natural larceny magnets. But I always call the neighborhood's "Parker House" B & B my headquarters when on non-family visits to Cincinnati, and I've had zero trouble in the immediate vicinity. Your best bet for finding a "room with a view" would be along Emming, Klotter, and Warner St's west of Clifton Ave - or around Fairview Ave and Ravine St.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 AM

I like Goygoy's street recommendations in south clifton (Klotter et al). Klotter in particular is a very nice street. I like the section East of Ravine street the best (note that it is not a contiguous street - a topographic view will show you why). That is a fairly quiet street that many professors seem to call home.

Camp washington is worth checking out. Sidney, Bates, and that whole area is a super-cool residential enclave and incredibly close to downtown. It is a breeze of a drive or cab ride to northside or clifton gaslights. Unfortunately, the business district in Camp is more or less useless. You'll notice when you visit that there are many desperate looking business districts surrounded by reasonably nice residential neighborhoods. Just another sign of the side effects of living in a country with a big-box economy.

One other comment -- if you grew up in the west, you may find eastern / midwestern cities a bit shocking. The age of our cities is an asset but the outward pattern of development does not always treat the cores well. Sidewalks are broken, streets are in bad shape, there are a lot of abandoned buildings. So prepare yourself for that

Old 12-13-2010, 04:41 PM

Well thanks Goyguy and Progmac! You 2 have given me some good options. Hopefully i'll get a chance to be there before i actually have to rent a place so that I can walk around and figure out whats up. If not I think i have some good clues as to areas.... I guess if nothing more, I can always use google street view to see streets!

If there is anything else anyone wants to add please do, knowledge is power :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati