Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,839,699 times

Advertisements

Who added 50,000 downtown? Employment Residence? I doubt any town in America added that many this decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 11:00 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,719,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Who added 50,000 downtown? Employment Residence? I doubt any town in America added that many this decade.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to catch this ... LOLOLOLOLOL

Rest, what in the heck are you smokin! Can you PLEASE post a link showing where Downtown Indy gained 50,000 people?!? For ****s and giggles I wonder what NYC added to Manhattan?

I've read it all folks ... Jesus.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Your insults do not make more people ride trains.

Oh, my cousin likes trains. He took the train from Chicago to LA a couple of years ago. Had some great photos.

As for the planned results for rail construction, I assume that you mean lots of public employee wages and rising public debt.
Brother, those aren't insults ... you'll know those when they're there.

Quote:
If I had to get to midtown from Jersey every day I'd probably ride the train. But, guess what? I don't live in Jersey and I don't have to get to Manhattan in the morning. So there.
Holy mother of ... Wilson, I think you're finally starting to understand this whole rail concept! There is a God.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I just do not see anything which will produce a workable public rail transport system short of massive public expenditure and debt. The initial expense is worrysome enough, but the ongoing public subsidy of the operating expense bothers me even more. If we cannot operate a public bus system without a substantial subsidy, please tell me why rail will be any different.
KJ, stop ... just stop. Head on back over to the Breakfast Breakthrough thread.

Number one, you live in Mason. Two, I just got through watching another educational show trying to warn the U.S. how f__ked up our roads and interstates are and how many billions we're going to need to spend to replace and repair our roads ... and then fix again ... every few years.

Look up the term, "Patch and Pray."

Gotta give credit to this one, I don't think any of the other documentary's touched on this topic, but did you guys know that not only are we:

1. Getting to ridiculous gas prices.
2. Unable to afford to repair our current crumbling roads.
3. Unable to expand where needed.
4. Unable to tax "correctly" electric vehicles.
5. Unable to correctly handle over-crowding.
... but we're now faced with lawsuits regarding poor maintenance and vehicle damage/injuries?!?!?

What'd are we rolling in dough or just embracing this state/federal financial in suicidal form because we're hoping we won't be around to see the result? Wtf is going on here...

Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 AM

55 posts, read 89,610 times
As someone who currently uses the DART light rail here in the Dallas area and soon-to-be-Cincinnatian, I'd love to see some type of rapid transit put in there. It would be VERY nice to live downtown, go downstairs, hop on the rapid bus or train, and not have to drive and fight traffic. I hope Cincinnati gets this.....I'd ride it daily to work, if the route will go to the hospitals. Then, living at the Banks, I could walk everywhere else I needed. I could sell my cars and have NO car payments. In my opinion... Cincy will NEED this, because the city is evidently growing.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:03 PM

682 posts, read 1,630,036 times
Indianapolis in 2009 ALONE had a new population GAIN of 1.3 percent or 22,862 people. what is more important it had a "net migration" meaning people moving to the city of 7034 in 2009.

In 2006, a Brookings Institution study found that Indianapolis had the highest job growth of the 25 large Rust cities.

Here is a interesting link showing new condo construction that occurred in indy in just the last few years: http://www.indianapoliscondos.com/content/article.html?id=1516190 (broken link)

The university had added afew thousand apartments as well. Igf you want to see how much has been added go to google earth and search on indinapolis canal or mass ave:

The city is just starting a new "North of South" development:
North of South project clears rezoning hurdle | 2010-12-16 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

While Cincinnati has argued about the banks for years Indy built several "banks size ' developments. They have a better attitude about development that we in Cincinnati do.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Indianapolis in 2009 ALONE had a new population GAIN of 1.3 percent or 22,862 people. what is more important it had a "net migration" meaning people moving to the city of 7034 in 2009.

In 2006, a Brookings Institution study found that Indianapolis had the highest job growth of the 25 large Rust cities.

Here is a interesting link showing new condo construction that occurred in indy in just the last few years: http://www.indianapoliscondos.com/content/article.html?id=1516190 (broken link)

The university had added afew thousand apartments as well. Igf you want to see how much has been added go to google earth and search on indinapolis canal or mass ave:

The city is just starting a new "North of South" development:
North of South project clears rezoning hurdle | 2010-12-16 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

While Cincinnati has argued about the banks for years Indy built several "banks size ' developments. They have a better attitude about development that we in Cincinnati do.
I am sure being the capital and a younger city helps. I would take all of Cincy's ammenities over sprawly Indy any day though to be honest.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:32 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Considering the controversial claim of 50,000 new Indy DT residences, may I politely refer everyone to another recent thread listed under Columbus -- "The Columbus Skyline." In the middle of this thread (p.5) the conversation diverted to Columbus soon becoming the largest Ohio city in MSA & CSA population. Needless to say, I question this claim and I would like to see our "Cincy Posse" take this one on!

Old 12-30-2010, 06:20 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Cincy-Rise... What the H*ll does living in Mason have to do with an opinion on rail? If anything, the residents of the outer suburbs such as Mason, West Chester and Liberty Townships should welcome an alternate means of transportation into the City since the majority do not work where they live.

But emphasis on the toy choo-choo downtown, and the intercity slow rail does not address the problem. The metropolitan areas need effective mass transit to and from the city. And catch the emphasis on mass, not just a few, highly subsidized, people on a tourist venue.

My vote for this is an improved bus system. One of the problems with the current bus system is a lack of concentration of riders, making the usage volume low and costs high. But at least buses have the ability to circuit a loop at the suburban extent of their route to service additional riders. A streetcar, light rail, etc. is stuck on its tracks. You must have a combination of cost and convenience to ever get people to use mass transit.

So you can champion your view of rail, but I believe what is being termed high speed bus may be more effective. And if we are viewing metropolitan areas, high speed bus is not required, just plain old low speed bus on designated express lanes will do just fine.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
The thing about Indianapolis, based on an admittedly brief overnight visit there to see a concert @ the Vogue and staying downtown, was how little there was for a city that is supposed to be as booming as it is. You'd just expect....more. It could be I missed a lot, but the place was disappointing. Broad Ripple? This is it?

I need to go back and explore the place more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati