Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:49 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
That has to be one of the scariest ideas I've heard, the local (or any) government getting rid of bed bugs. Cincinnati Public Schools treats their bed bugs in-house and it's a complete failure. I know this because of faculty and parents calling me to eliminate theirs, which I typically do for well under a $1000, in some cases, under $400, including the initial and two-follow-up treatments. It's a lot of work in the preparation and the treatment itself.
This is the old the public sector cannot do anything right at a cost anywhere close to the private sector. If this is true then we need to be privatizing public sector jobs at any opportunity we get. But I am not sure this is the ultimate best approach. Let the public sector jobs be equal in pay rates, retirement benefits, healthcare benefits, etc to the private sector Then I believe they can very well compete. But that means the public sector supervision also has to be put on an equivalent footing with the private sector. There has been a growing divide which needs to be narrowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post

My own experience several years ago led me to believe that the government needs to take over the business of bed bug extermination. The City of Cincinnati needs 10-20 crews going around all day, every day, exterminating residences and businesses. Again, the problem with the proliferation of bed bugs is not the disappearance of DDT, it's that people DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO HAVE THEIR PLACES PROFESSIONALLY TREATED. Because of this, the bed bugs aren't nipped at the beginning, multiply rapidly, and are carried on clothes and in shoe laces and in purses and in back packs to public places, where they might take of residence or be carried to another place.
There is at least one city -- Toronto, Ontario (yes, Canada, and almost due north) -- that has had a system, according to recent messages (with links if needed) posted by bedbugger.com. I have a strong suspicion if there were more than one city, that would be posted, too. Mention such a thing hereabouts and it's:

1. Ohhh.... There's just no money.
2. Why, all you have to do is go down to the hardware store and get (____).
3. Teehee! Sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite!
4. Well, you know some people just aren't clean.
5. Other.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
That has to be one of the scariest ideas I've heard, the local (or any) government getting rid of bed bugs. Cincinnati Public Schools treats their bed bugs in-house and it's a complete failure. I know this because of faculty and parents calling me to eliminate theirs, which I typically do for well under a $1000, in some cases, under $400, including the initial and two-follow-up treatments. It's a lot of work in the preparation and the treatment itself.
I'd wager it would cost kjbrill (for one) more, since his wife is disabled and he's no 35-year-old spring chicken.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
I'd wager it would cost kjbrill (for one) more, since his wife is disabled and he's no 35-year-old spring chicken.
You are right they would soak the Hell out of me, or try to. But being the stubborn ass Engineer I am, I would try and create my own cure. Far as I know we have not seen any, but frankly do not know why. Do cats eat bed bugs?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
You are right they would soak the Hell out of me, or try to. But being the stubborn ass Engineer I am, I would try and create my own cure. Far as I know we have not seen any, but frankly do not know why. Do cats eat bed bugs?
Regarding creating your own cure:

If you are a chemical engineer or near to it, I understand you can legally whip up a home brew batch of DDT -- you just can't sell it, etc. However, before you do that, investigate further as I understand modern-day bed bugs have developed a resistance (if not immunity) to it.

Regarding WHY there is "no cure":

That's easy enough. It's because they don't eat anything but blood, and that's usually vacuum sealed in some human. You can smash them, and that's not only messy it doesn't get to the root of the problem. And, you can suffocate them in some way, shape or form. That's what throwing things in a clothes dryer is all about. There is also the stuff that works on destroying their shells so they do eventually die, it's just not right away.

Regarding do cats eat bed bugs?

I have no idea of what cats might eat besides milk, fish, etc., but I understand the bugs will eat cat if they can't find human. And, watch where you mention that. A former neighbor with the bugs in a former apartment building had a cat that roamed the hall. When I found the idea they would feast on animals as well as human, I went to the former property manager and said something to that effect. She promptly called up a veterinarian who said they don't eat cat. That's illogical even if it isn't written down somewhere (cat has blood); but, that "authority" said otherwise.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 AM

Now you have me worried about our cat. But I assume if she had bed bugs we would know it soon enough as she would be biting at areas where they bit, sort of like fleas. And since she sleeps in our bed every night between the two of us, we would have bed bugs soon also.

I do not mean to make light of the bed bug situation. From what I read it is very real and very nasty, enough to be classified as a public health hazard. As such, I believe the Health Department should at least be charged with investigating whether infestations exist and to what degree. If they find such conditions exist in such as multi-unit apartment buildings, public buildings such as hotels, etc. they should have the power to order exterminations be performed. If the owners do not comply the Health Department should have the power to have the extrminations performed and bill the owners. Same concept as if you don't have your knee-high grass cut the City will have it done and bill you.

If, as you say, bed bugs only feed on blood, cleanliness should not be an issue. If normal cleaning products kill them that is a different story. But it is my understanding this requires direct contact, including the popular alcohol approach.

It is one thing if the beetles kill the ash tree in my yard, I just plant a different variety of tree. But it is a totally different scenario if bed bugs invade my house.

I can appreciate low-income people will not have the money to pay for an extermination. I have seen figures like $1,000 posted. That is probably equal to the month's rent plus the food for the family. These people do not have the income to fight the bed bugs. Again, classify it as a public health hazard and have the government intervene. If the government does not do the actual job themselves, which is probably best, have private exterminators do the job and the government compensate them. Just take a few of the dollars being given to private developers under the guise of public interest, and this bed bug problem can be quickly laid to rest.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:

From what I read it is very real and very nasty, enough to be classified as a public health hazard. As such, I believe the Health Department should at least be charged with investigating whether infestations exist and to what degree. If they find such conditions exist in such as multi-unit apartment buildings, public buildings such as hotels, etc. they should have the power to order exterminations be performed. If the owners do not comply the Health Department should have the power to have the extrminations performed and bill the owners. Same concept as if you don't have your knee-high grass cut the City will have it done and bill you.
Nice idea. Law is needed. According to the Bill Summary & Status shown here, this Bill has been sitting in sub-committee for over a year:

Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress):

Since you live in Ohio, and in fact relatively close to the Speaker of the House, why don't you call them up and ask them why it's been sitting in sub-committee for over a year....

...Just an idea....

Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 PM

I see my link above vanished. It WAS connected. And, I can no longer edit the post....

It's House Bill 967 (H.R. 967) and here's another source:

Bed Bug Management, Prevention, and Research Act (H.R. 967) - GovTrack.us

Hopefully, this one will stay connected.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
I see my link above vanished. It WAS connected. And, I can no longer edit the post....

It's House Bill 967 (H.R. 967) and here's another source:

Bed Bug Management, Prevention, and Research Act (H.R. 967) - GovTrack.us

Hopefully, this one will stay connected.
I noticed the Bill sponsor was Jean Schmidt, R-OH. Either she is aware of the problem in Cincinnati or just wanted to sponsor a bill. I think sponsoring a bill is some sort of badge of honor. If you don't sponsor a bill you are like a nobody. But it does not appear to be going anywhere.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I noticed the Bill sponsor was Jean Schmidt, R-OH. Either she is aware of the problem in Cincinnati or just wanted to sponsor a bill. I think sponsoring a bill is some sort of badge of honor. If you don't sponsor a bill you are like a nobody. But it does not appear to be going anywhere.
I don't know a thing about her, but it is legislation that would declare (or help to declare) the bugs a health hazard nationally as it changes their classification. It does some other stuff, too, like something about labelling on products.

Presumably something could be enacted locally. Now that would be a great selling point: "bed bug free city!" But, then you come down to who's going to pay for a bug patrol, and the health department is county-wide but not Cincinnati or some such thing. The Health department in Northern Kentucky is regional.

On the right of the page of the link that works there is a link to the THOMAS (Library of Congress) page that does work. There's information there.

So, it should all be declared a health hazard, etc.? Well, there are some laws that have been proposed that are going nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati