Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times

Advertisements

Something apparently new on the bed bug scene: insurance.

The way I understand it, places like hotels might soon be able to buy some kind of insurance which covers the loss of business in cases such as when a room (or suite) gets bed bugs and is, therefore, unavailable for renting until the insects have been eliminated.

Whether this would be available for other businesses or the likes of housing per se of any sort isn't clear to me. What also isn't clear to me is whether it would cover the cost of treatments which, because of the nature of the problem, can't be guaranteed anything like reasonably permanent. After all, the next person in the place (or in a seat at a restaurant or on an airplane) may be a carrier.

And, presently, I'm having some serious computer connectivity problems (it dies); so, I can't explore the matter, but I thought I would post at least this much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:34 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,997 times
Default Ewww factor: Cincinnati first in the nation for bedbugs

Cincinnati's No. 1 bedbug ranking no joke | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Quote:
The pest control companies Terminix and Orkin released in May their lists of the top cities in the United States for bed bug service calls in 2011. Cincinnati topped Orkin's list and was second only behind New York City on the Terminix list.

The number of Cincinnati health department inspections for bedbugs increased tenfold from 2007 to 2008, from about 70 to 757. There's no recent data on bedbugs from the city; the city health department ended inspections for bed bug complaints in 2009 due to city budget cuts.
Sounds like calling it "dirtiest city in the US." So Orkin sees more bedbug calls here than in cities 3x our size such as LA, Philadelphia (dirty), Chicago, Detroit.

It must say something about local habits and demographics.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Cincinnati's No. 1 bedbug ranking no joke | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Sounds like calling it "dirtiest city in the US." So Orkin sees more bedbug calls here than in cities 3x our size such as LA, Philadelphia (dirty), Chicago, Detroit.

It must say something about local habits and demographics.

Don't trust the local media for either information or news.

When I had the bugs, I tried to get two of the powerhouses to do in depth reports about the creatures. (And, I do know a few things about the news business.)

They wouldn't do it. The only angle they seem willing to use is:

This (one) irresponsible landlord has an infested building and this (one) victimized tenant is squawking.

The lady that told me about them (I didn't know what they were) had a family member that rented a place that had them. The bugs were eating up her baby. The media didn't go into that at all.

The local media does NOT consider bed bugs per se "newsworthy."

What's news in the linked story is the ranking (#1).

Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Default Another Fire In Cincinnati

My internet connection is not good. If this doesn't connect properly, can someone repost it so it does?

There's been another "bed bug" fire in Cincinnati, reportedly seven people homeless and $100,000 in damage. This is the early story:

Two-alarm fire tears through Avondale apartment - FOX19 News and Weather - Greater Cincinnati Area

Many people do not understand that alcohol is a CONTACT killer -- you have to hit the bug head on with it. It's not going to work with a real infestation. And, as I understand it, in some areas a landlord doesn't have to take any action if there is one.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:22 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Something apparently new on the bed bug scene: insurance.

The way I understand it, places like hotels might soon be able to buy some kind of insurance which covers the loss of business in cases such as when a room (or suite) gets bed bugs and is, therefore, unavailable for renting until the insects have been eliminated.

Whether this would be available for other businesses or the likes of housing per se of any sort isn't clear to me. What also isn't clear to me is whether it would cover the cost of treatments which, because of the nature of the problem, can't be guaranteed anything like reasonably permanent. After all, the next person in the place (or in a seat at a restaurant or on an airplane) may be a carrier.

And, presently, I'm having some serious computer connectivity problems (it dies); so, I can't explore the matter, but I thought I would post at least this much.
Who cares if hotel (plane, movie theater, bus, store) is covered??????????? Who pays us if we get infected in their establishment??????????

Old 08-13-2011, 08:26 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
And, I cant believe I posted again in this thread. 76 posts on a subject that everyone already knows about

Until the tree huggers finally allow a real pesticide to be distributed, this problem will spread and get worse. Posting in a city forum will not help

End of rant! I am sorry if I stepped over the line

Old 08-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Who cares if hotel (plane, movie theater, bus, store) is covered??????????? Who pays us if we get infected in their establishment??????????
Who pays you? Possibly said insurance company, depending on what is covered.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
And, I cant believe I posted again in this thread. 76 posts on a subject that everyone already knows about

Until the tree huggers finally allow a real pesticide to be distributed, this problem will spread and get worse. Posting in a city forum will not help

Everyone doesn't know or thinks it's someplace else.

As for tree-huggers and "real pesticides," do we take it anything is all right as long as it doesn't take the services of the fire department? They run the ambulances, too, you know.

Since the problem is spreading and getting worse, the more discussion, the better. No? City forums are just as good a place as any, but, personally speaking, I go elsewhere, too.

As for ranting, you had an excellent question -- who/what covers your costs?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:

did you know that DDT was not the "weapon of choice" against bed bugs even before it was banned? also, many BB populations show 100% immunity to DDT.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:49 PM

Ah! Found it.

Okay. Today's report, that is, the last local one that I have come across, and it may not have been a media reported thing....

As I understand it, bug(s) found on kid's backpack in school. Southbank river community, but not Newport or Covington. It's a disabled child, so was taught in a separate area. Relatively large family. Teachers took up a collection to pay for extermination services, but to what extent isn't known. School board did hear about it. There may be more to this in the days ahead.

Source of gossip: reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati