Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times

Advertisements

Let me just mention something. This topic will not stay near the top in this room. There's too much other activity. It will on the Kentucky board.

Even if you don't frequent the thread, please remember it, refer people, etc. The bugs are a serious problem with intricate features about which people are quite unaware. Case in point:

If someone has to throw out furniture (like a chair or bed parts), the thing is supposed to be wrapped up (sealed) in heavy plastic. The stuff that's supposed to be used is something like painters' tarp. In other words, you likely have to go to a hardware store and buy some just to get rid of the whatever.

In some places haulers won't take it, and in some places as I understand it, if it is not wrapped up when it's outside, people can be fined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Yes, I have read the same thing, articles to be disposed of have to be wrapped in heavy plastic. On the surface at least this seems rediculous to me, as I just cannot see the average person creating an effective seal. If it is the size of problem indicated, why have not task forces been set up to recover and process affected material? I am sure chemicals exist to destroy them, though a hazmat suit may be required to apply.

While those who have experienced an infestation say it is nothing anyone wants to go through, apparently the number of people affected is still not large enough to create a public outcry.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:12 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
other areas for paranoia: moving vans, the equipment of professional moves, storage units, any kind of transportation of goods or people.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yes, I have read the same thing, articles to be disposed of have to be wrapped in heavy plastic. On the surface at least this seems rediculous to me, as I just cannot see the average person creating an effective seal. If it is the size of problem indicated, why have not task forces been set up to recover and process affected material? I am sure chemicals exist to destroy them, though a hazmat suit may be required to apply.

While those who have experienced an infestation say it is nothing anyone wants to go through, apparently the number of people affected is still not large enough to create a public outcry.

When they get into something, it can be anywhere; and, in the moving, shoving (and sometimes dropping) of an affected piece of furniture the bugs are dislodged. In addition, if it's not wrapped up and ideally marked (and ideally doused with chemicals), someone is likely to carry it off.

You have to remember, the things are tiny -- the newborn (which are white, not reddish brown) are about the size of a grain of salt. Think salt and pepper, as once they've eaten they turn dark.

Maintenance wrapped up my couch. It had to go 125 feet down the hall and down the service elevator. It alse cost me $50 to get it out of my apartment and about $10 for the plastic and tape.

There are various reasons there are no task forces, etc. First of all, what landlord wants to admit the place has such bugs? I'd have to look it up, but I think it was the University of Cincinnati that checked out the situation and came up with 14% (plus) of the people affected. (I'll look it up later.)

Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
other areas for paranoia: moving vans, the equipment of professional moves, storage units, any kind of transportation of goods or people.

Please don't say "paranoia." If someone who has them doesn't get rid of them, they do seek out humans (that's lunch) and they multiply...a lot. Spray around, and they run. Did you ever hit an obscured wasps' nest or bee hive with the spray from a garden hose?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:26 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Please don't say "paranoia." If someone who has them doesn't get rid of them, they do seek out humans (that's lunch) and they multiply...a lot. Spray around, and they run. Did you ever hit an obscured wasps' nest or bee hive with the spray from a garden hose?
you're right. i thought i might get some flack for that word right after i posted it. i should have said "concern"

Old 01-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
you're right. i thought i might get some flack for that word right after i posted it. i should have said "concern"

Thank you!

And, for the rest of the world:

Apparently that report carrying the actual 14.5% statistic (2008) wasn't well distributed or it got lost in the shuffle; but, here's a reprint ferreted out by a New Yorker (not bedbugger.com):

Greater Cincinnati Survey: 14.5% of Cincinnati respondents (7.9%, Hamilton County) report a bed bug problem

The important PDF file mentioned is still online.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,810 times
I don't think there really is such things thing as bed bugs... I think people are confusing them for dust mites.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:22 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,304 times
Default bed bugs part 1

Carpathian,
I don't have time to write my entire novel in one sitting, so I'm going to tell you one chapter each day.
I live in Sayler Park, and lived in an eight-unit building from October 2000 to October 2009. In April 2009 (I remember it was Easter weekend), I noticed the itchy red bumps for the first time. All that spring and summer I kept going back to the dermatologist as we tried to figure out what was causing the rash. Creams and other allergy medications weren't working.
I complained to the landlord, and he told me about how the woman in the unit underneath me had acquired an old mattress. He also did have the exterminator come and look through my apartment but no bugs were found. The rash kept getting worse.
In August the woman downstairs moved out, taking her mattress and other belongings with her. Over Labor Day weekend I went away; meanwhile, the landlord began cleaning and updating her unit. I came home that Monday night and went to bed.
On the Tuesday after Labor Day I woke up, and that was the beginning of the horror movie. There were bed bugs, both babies and full-grown ones, all over my bed and curtains. No, these weren't ants, cockroaches, fleas, dust mites or any other type of creepy-crawly. They were bed bugs--little brown ovals the length, width and color of appleseeds--in other words, you can see them with the naked eye. The babies must have just hatched from their eggs.
To be continued....

I'm assuming that Cincy-Rise is joking.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
Carpathian,
I don't have time to write my entire novel in one sitting, so I'm going to tell you one chapter each day.
I live in Sayler Park, and lived in an eight-unit building from October 2000 to October 2009. In April 2009 (I remember it was Easter weekend), I noticed the itchy red bumps for the first time. All that spring and summer I kept going back to the dermatologist as we tried to figure out what was causing the rash. Creams and other allergy medications weren't working.
I complained to the landlord, and he told me about how the woman in the unit underneath me had acquired an old mattress. He also did have the exterminator come and look through my apartment but no bugs were found. The rash kept getting worse.
In August the woman downstairs moved out, taking her mattress and other belongings with her. Over Labor Day weekend I went away; meanwhile, the landlord began cleaning and updating her unit. I came home that Monday night and went to bed.
On the Tuesday after Labor Day I woke up, and that was the beginning of the horror movie. There were bed bugs, both babies and full-grown ones, all over my bed and curtains. No, these weren't ants, cockroaches, fleas, dust mites or any other type of creepy-crawly. They were bed bugs--little brown ovals the length, width and color of appleseeds--in other words, you can see them with the naked eye. The babies must have just hatched from their eggs.
To be continued....

I'm assuming that Cincy-Rise is joking.

Ah, yes. A rash. I'm susceptible to them. Since I thought I knew what it was, I didn't spend money on a dermatologist. Late February-March.

Go on....

(I'm assuming that Cincy-Rise is at best ill-informed.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati