Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
is there any possibility of a new whiz-bang neurotoxin eradicating these things again?
Who knows?

That professor at the University of Kentucky (above) is apparently seriously trying to find something. I know the exterminator that worked in my current apartment building didn't just exterminate. If they found some bugs they could scrape into bottles (like pill bottles) to send/take to him for tests, they did. And, frankly, I think he is a better bet for information than OSU simply because Kentucky is more rural -- the schools, logically, would have departments more seriously interested in plants, bugs, etc.

I have some more stuff on/by him; but, I can only post so much at a time. Among other things, I've got two weblogs I'm trying to keep going. And, I am old and decrepit.

It's a shame, but I don't think there are many people from Northern Kentucky that frequent City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Who knows?

That professor at the University of Kentucky (above) is apparently seriously trying to find something. I know the exterminator that worked in my current apartment building didn't just exterminate. If they found some bugs they could scrape into bottles (like pill bottles) to send/take to him for tests, they did. And, frankly, I think he is a better bet for information than OSU simply because Kentucky is more rural -- the schools, logically, would have departments more seriously interested in plants, bugs, etc.

I have some more stuff on/by him; but, I can only post so much at a time. Among other things, I've got two weblogs I'm trying to keep going. And, I am old and decrepit.

It's a shame, but I don't think there are many people from Northern Kentucky that frequent City-Data.
You're right; we could use some more N Ky posters on here. Also some more posters from the suburbs would be nice, although i know we tend to get all indignant about suburbs and not be as welcoming as we ought to be.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
You're right; we could use some more N Ky posters on here. Also some more posters from the suburbs would be nice, although i know we tend to get all indignant about suburbs and not be as welcoming as we ought to be.

I think someone said it's a million people in Hamilton County. I would guess it's a half-million in Northern Kentucky. And, if you want to go as far as Montgomery County, that's at least another half-million. And, there is much that could be discussed.

Insofar as the bugs go, I think people that have run into the problem get tired of trying to fight it long before they are rid of them. They don't want to hear any more about it; but, it's still at hand needing attention. The thing is, until there is a genuine solution to getting rid of them, ways of living will be drastically changed. Easy tips are a godsend.

I honestly don't think there will be a solution within my lifetime.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 PM

In case you missed it: Jan. 24 story:

Man starts fire trying to kill bedbugs - UPI.com

Old 01-26-2011, 02:06 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Your dogged determination at raising awareness is commendable. Since you introduced the subject into this forum I have become much more aware how serious the problem is.

On Monday I watched an interview with a so-called expert from OSU. She said if DDT were re-introduced it would be ineffective since they had already developed an immunity to it. She also said the current insecticides were becoming ineffective due to the bed bugs developing an immunity. She also stated due to our regulations on bio-degradable current insecticides were effective for a few weeks at the best. When asked point blank how to combat them there was a lot of stammering and humming around. The best I got out of it was be vigilant and if you spot any of the little buggers, take immediate action to get rid of them, and be prepared for more than one treatment as you will likely not get all of the eggs the first time.

The seriousness of the problem as explained by the experts is one to be confronted. We are being warned as to how wide-spread this can be. Maybe our airport security needs to include bed bug sniffing dogs to prevent their easy dispersal.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,304 times
Default chapter 4 mental anguish

Many news articles point out that bed bug victims get depressed and paranoid. The articles, unfortunately, are often not thoroughly researched and/or well-written, and they end up implying that the bites themselves can cause insanity. Yes, you can go insane, but it's not because the bites have created some weird sort of infection that goes to your brain. Rather, you go nuts because of:
1. Insomnia. You either can't get to sleep because you're worrying about the bugs, or you wake up because you've been bitten and are itching like crazy.
2. Anemia. If you have a lot of bites for weeks on end, you can end up losing enough blood that you start to feel tired.
3. Paranoia. You start seeing the bugs EVERYWHERE. Even though it's been more than a year now since I moved, I still periodically imagine that I see the little vampires on the walls or on my bed.
4. Economic worries. Let's see now, I spent money on the following (A) disposal of my couch and chair, laundry (the expenses of detergent and doing the wash itself, over and over and over); and moving expenses; (B) extermination costs; (C) losing my initial investments in my furniture, clothing and personal belongings. Both my computer and my DVD player died after I moved and I think carrying them around just killed them; and (D) replacing my clothing, furniture, computer and DVD player after I moved. Those are the basics. There were other places my money got spent as well.
5. Agoraphobia. You go to work and a few necessary places, but other than that you feel forced to stay home, for one, because you now don't have any extra spending money, and two, you have to clean and throw away stuff and do laundry every day.
6. Depression. It is of course a side effect of all of the above.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Just a question. Since the little buggers seem to be so difficult to get rid of, what with burrowing into woodwork, carpet, etc., would it not be prudent to get an inspection when either purchasing or renting property. Can you purchase insurance against the cost of their damage and extermination?

I can appreciate the feelings of fear. Just reading about them in this forum has me itchy and on guard to anything looking like one. Those who have lived through a major infestation must be more than paranoid.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Your dogged determination at raising awareness is commendable. Since you introduced the subject into this forum I have become much more aware how serious the problem is.

On Monday I watched an interview with a so-called expert from OSU. She said if DDT were re-introduced it would be ineffective since they had already developed an immunity to it. She also said the current insecticides were becoming ineffective due to the bed bugs developing an immunity. She also stated due to our regulations on bio-degradable current insecticides were effective for a few weeks at the best. When asked point blank how to combat them there was a lot of stammering and humming around. The best I got out of it was be vigilant and if you spot any of the little buggers, take immediate action to get rid of them, and be prepared for more than one treatment as you will likely not get all of the eggs the first time.

The seriousness of the problem as explained by the experts is one to be confronted. We are being warned as to how wide-spread this can be. Maybe our airport security needs to include bed bug sniffing dogs to prevent their easy dispersal.

I debated answering you with two separate answers (takes up a lot of space), but I figured skippercollector's comments were well worth attention, and you do have points here.

And, I'm glad I got you on the alert. It might save you a lot of astonishment later.

In my very humble opinion, I think the biggest problem for Americans (because we haven't had the creatures for so long) is grasping the notion that this little bug is a predator and it's objective is to eat humans alive.... It took me quite some time to get my mind around that idea.

Well, "Get rid of them" is instruction from many sources. The thing is, no one explains how to do so.

Like a lot of other things, the dogs can "help." That's the debatable point. This can help, and that can help and the other thing can help and all this stuff can help.... Believe it or not, you can rent an apartment without a job, education, or any belongings, as long as you have a carpet sweeper -- "vacuuming" helps....

If they do much more checking at airports, it may be easier to walk.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
Many news articles point out that bed bug victims get depressed and paranoid. The articles, unfortunately, are often not thoroughly researched and/or well-written, and they end up implying that the bites themselves can cause insanity. Yes, you can go insane, but it's not because the bites have created some weird sort of infection that goes to your brain. Rather, you go nuts because of:
1. Insomnia. You either can't get to sleep because you're worrying about the bugs, or you wake up because you've been bitten and are itching like crazy.
2. Anemia. If you have a lot of bites for weeks on end, you can end up losing enough blood that you start to feel tired.
3. Paranoia. You start seeing the bugs EVERYWHERE. Even though it's been more than a year now since I moved, I still periodically imagine that I see the little vampires on the walls or on my bed.
4. Economic worries. Let's see now, I spent money on the following (A) disposal of my couch and chair, laundry (the expenses of detergent and doing the wash itself, over and over and over); and moving expenses; (B) extermination costs; (C) losing my initial investments in my furniture, clothing and personal belongings. Both my computer and my DVD player died after I moved and I think carrying them around just killed them; and (D) replacing my clothing, furniture, computer and DVD player after I moved. Those are the basics. There were other places my money got spent as well.
5. Agoraphobia. You go to work and a few necessary places, but other than that you feel forced to stay home, for one, because you now don't have any extra spending money, and two, you have to clean and throw away stuff and do laundry every day.
6. Depression. It is of course a side effect of all of the above.

And, maybe the most important thing here is "victim." No ordinary person in their right mind is deliberately trying grow and develop the things. The person is a victim, and often a totally unsuspecting victim. You're being eaten alive by something dumped on you and it's up to you to get rid of them....

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Just a question. Since the little buggers seem to be so difficult to get rid of, what with burrowing into woodwork, carpet, etc., would it not be prudent to get an inspection when either purchasing or renting property. Can you purchase insurance against the cost of their damage and extermination?

I can appreciate the feelings of fear. Just reading about them in this forum has me itchy and on guard to anything looking like one. Those who have lived through a major infestation must be more than paranoid.

I'd say an inspection is not a bad idea; but, most likely neither a seller nor a landland is going to be too agreeable if they have them.

The insurance is a good question. I don't have an answer; but an insurance agent should know. To be honest about it, I don't have anything worth insuring any more. I've been sleeping on air beds for two years. Cost for a big one: about $40 at the drug store. My sleeper sofa was replaced with a $6 lawn chair from Kroger's. Chest of drawers: big plastic tubs with lids -- $5 each on sale. There's nothing of value that could harbor another infestation.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati