Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:01 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
I don't have any intention of doing it but is there much of a hunting community in Cincinnati and Ohio in general? I'm interested in shooting on a range though and i have seen that that's available in the area.
I dunno about hunting, but there are a relative dearth of shooting ranges around here. Dayton has many more than Cincinnati and Dayton is a lot smaller. Target World and/or Shooters Supply and Sporting Goods (in Northern KY) are likely your best bet. There are clubs around as well but I am unqualified to talk about them due to lack of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 01:08 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
It looks like there's going to be quite a variety of new food for me to try, maybe not to the benefit of my waistline.

I don't have any intention of doing it but is there much of a hunting community in Cincinnati and Ohio in general? I'm interested in shooting on a range though and i have seen that that's available in the area.
Most of the hunting in Ohio is in the central part of the state and involves birds. Pheasants are the most popular bird hunted in Ohio, quail and grouse to lesser degree. There is also quite a bit of rabbit hunting. We have a rather large population of whitetail deer in Ohio, but I believe their hunting in confined to bow and arrow.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:34 PM

258 posts, read 160,096 times
Thankyou for the information, the reason i ask is that when i've been looking at gun ranges and shops in the area they have had sections on hunting and i just wondered how prevalent it is.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:19 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Quote:
If you don't like hunting there are plenty of ways to enjoy shooting sports in the Cincinnati area. I am by no means an expert, but it is a hobby of mine and I have my favorite places. There are a handful of indoor pistol ranges in the area, and Shooter's supply in Independence Ky permits centerfire rifles as long as the rounds are not steel core. To me, shooting bottleneck rifle cartridges indoors at 25 yard targets doesn't sound like much fun, but whatever puts a smile on your face is fine with me. There are quite a few people that seem to enjoy doing a 30 round mag dump with an AR or AK on 10 yard targets.

There is a wonderful public outdoor range that is 45 minutes or so north of the city called Spring Valley. There are rifle, pistol, archery, and shotgun areas, and a daily pass is only $5. I vastly prefer the outdoor range to anything indoors, and whenever I want to shoot rifles or pistlols by myself or when my friends with rural land are not available, Spring Valley is my destination

There are a number of trap and skeet clubs around as well. I prefer the Lloyd WMA in Crittendon, Ky. If you are a competitive shooter or a beginner that has never fired a shotgun before, the club members are very welcoming. I would also like to recommend Elk Creek Hunt Club in Owenton, Ky. They have a very nice sporting clays course (it is like playing golf, but you ride around in a golf cart with a shotgun instead of golf clubs and shoot the various clay stations. You can rent shotguns there for a very nominal fee if you don't have any of your own. I took a group there for my friend's bachelor party a few years ago and we had a blast. There is also a winery next door that my wife appreciated more than the clays course.

If you have any gun questions, feel free to ask me. I enjoy shooting a lot, but I do not have the time to do it enough to warrant joining a private gun club, so I have plenty of experience using the various public resources in the area.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:29 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Thankyou for the information, the reason i ask is that when i've been looking at gun ranges and shops in the area they have had sections on hunting and i just wondered how prevalent it is.

There is a hunting season and a small number of folks do a lot of hunting. Shooting clays and indoor target ranges are a lot more widespread.

Many people from the UK have not shot a hand gun and it is a lot of fun to do. You can go to Target World (or many other spots) and rent a gun and a shooting lane, buy a couple of paper targets and some ammo, borrow the ear and eye protection and have at it.

I recommend it to relieve stress.

Here is a video of my son trying out a 44 Magnum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG96M...QM3BKo1WOCO9Y=

Old 03-16-2012, 02:49 PM

I've spent the last 8 years (and at various times over the last 22 years) mostly shooting Nato 5.56mm at targets over 300yrds that shoot back so i don't see a 10/25yrd range really floating my boat. I want to keep my hand in but not really sure how to go about it. I've been going to the nearby Royal Marine Commando camp for the last 6 weeks and firing a few rounds on the ranges there, nice 200yrd ones so after something along the same lines.

Even though i'm going to be in the US i'm going to be in the Reserves for a while to come and as i was a Senior NCO depending on what happens in the rest of the middle East there is still a chance i could be recalled. A few were recalled for Afghanistan that had experience in Iraq and as i only left in Jan.... well, have to wait and see.

I'm intending to get a Sig P226 (i've used an L106, British Army variant and liked it) as i'm required to possibly carry as part of the job i'm starting, so some pistol range work will definitely be handy.

Thankyou in advance for any advice.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:31 PM

With your military background and experience and also the reserves situation, make contacts as to whether any reciprocity agreements would give you access to any of our military facilities over here, including our National Guard. Just shooting at some target range doesn't seem to be your cup of tea (sorry couldn't resist).

Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM

@kjbrill
That's a very good idea, i'll e.mail the British Embassy in Washington and see what they have to say on the matter and if they're no direct help i'll try the US Embassy in London.

I think i might be getting a few of those 'tea' related comments over the years to come.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I think i might be getting a few of those 'tea' related comments over the years to come.
You better believe it.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
With your military background and experience and also the reserves situation, make contacts as to whether any reciprocity agreements would give you access to any of our military facilities over here, including our National Guard. Just shooting at some target range doesn't seem to be your cup of tea (sorry couldn't resist).
Didn't have a massive amount of help from the British Embassy on this matter as they told me it was a local administration issue and to try contacting my local Consulate and/or nearest military base. I thought i'd try my luck with the US Embassy in London as i have an acquaintance there. The gentleman i spoke to told me that when i get to the US to give him a ring and he'd arrange for me to have a pass to use the facilities at Wright-Patterson FB.

That should fit what i'm after nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati