Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:18 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LOL. I've always said Cincinnati drivers are courteous to a fault; perhaps that fault is that they can turn aggressive on you within a year's time!
I think Ohioan58 hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
It just REALLY depends. Cincinnati drivers are weird. They're over courteous in some contexts. In others they are despicable hell for leather baby eating monsters.
That baby eating monster line is still cracking me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 10:56 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I think Ohioan58 hit the nail on the head.

That baby eating monster line is still cracking me up.
Your comments are right on. I usually like to consider who conducted the survey for the so-called list. Best I can find it is claimed some outfit called AutoVantage commissioned the study, but it doesn't identify who they commissioned it with, Tony's Travel Agency or who. Trying to identify AutoAdvantage itself was a challenge. Apparently it is a membership organization claiming discounts on car repairs, purchases, financing, etc. When I did a Google got a whole lot of hits claiming consumer fraud, downright deceptive business practices against them, etc.

The AAA has been around seemingly forever. Now if they published such a study and identified the source of the survey, I would put a little more credibility in it.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:27 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,466 times
OH. I just remembered something about local drivers that REALLY p***es me off! No respect, and in fact utter contempt for pedestrians. The uncivilized briar, hillbilly tendencies of nasty bullying coming out in full force.

When we've gone to Reds games in the recent past and walked from the parking lot to the stadium, the way drivers make ***NO*** concession whatsoever to peds and go out of their way to intimidate people from using cross walks even when they have the freaking walk sign **really** angers me.

The local drivers only respect peds when there is a cop nearby.

The "B.E.M." line that TomJones is so fond of has a basis in some of my actual opinions.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:53 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,047 times
Ok I drive a lot and I've lived on west coast and down southtoo . Frankly I do not think Cincinnati drivers are overly agressive...but they seem to lack "common sense" and think a posted speed limit is a mere 'suggestion'.

For example residential street speed limit is 35 and road is really twisty and has lots of side streets going in to it. What do Cincinnati driver do? Drive 55 and then SLAM on the brakes at every stop sign.

Or take the practice of entering a construction zone and them slamming on the brakes when they realize "Oh people are stopped or slowed ahead because its going down to one lane. FYI: Note to state highway workers. Putting signs that the right lane ends is a great idea BUT not just 500 feet on a freeway from where its happening and given the hills a little advance warning might be a good idea to notify people a little more in advance than that.

I'd love to own a brake shop in this city because you lack "common-sense-look down the-road-a-bit-and-not-the-hood-ornament-on-your-car.

Just the other day on my street someone goes flying down the street (speed limit 30) music so loud the the windows where shaking. A really wooded hilly area too. All of sudden, BOOM, because three deer walked across the road and driver hits a fence and a couple of small trees. Ran down there and a neighbor and I help him out of the car just as the police rolled up and he TOOK OFF running.......because he didnt even have a driver license. Police caught him because he was limping.

Crazyist thing I saw was last year with someone eating chinese food in box with chopsticks while whizzing past me on I74 doing at least 80 ( I assume driving with their Knees).

Cincinnati drivers are overly agressive.......just insanely stupid!

Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times
I also noticed on freeways were all doing 70+ some 75 and all of a sudden all these cars slam on their brakes and cars had to go to the shoulder because they slammed on their brakes really hard. (1-275)
Also does anyone eles notice that the drivers are the 1-275 are more aggressive and faster then any other freeway. Everytimme i go on that freeway someone in their mustang are always doing 100 just flying past us all.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM

148 posts, read 213,323 times
Thank you to several of you (below) who found words to describe what I've been feeling since moving here 2 years ago.

henslaya1- "... passive aggressive ... they like accelerating into the gap to keep you from changing lanes, pacing the car in the next lane to keep someone else from passing, "

ohioan58- "appalachians ... who love to fight"

various- "dangerously courteous"

wilwradio- "self absorbed, oblivious, nascar"

The best way I can describe it is as follows:

Passive aggressive is the #1. The speeding up to cut you off. It's not about them needing that position, it's about their self esteem problem that someone is actually in front of them. Stems from growing up in the biggest city in the region (superiority complex), coupled with an isolationist / small-thinking complex ("hey I'm from Cincinnati, why would I ever, ever want to go anywhere else?") which goes like this "Hey I own this town, and I own this road. You are obviously an outsider, and that threatens my delusion of being the King of all that I know, so you get behind me, so that I can perpetuate my delusional kingdom."

I live on a busy road and see the drivers faces all day long, so I know what I'm talking about. I've witnessed 10+ rear-end collisions in 2 years, and every one was a preoccupied, self-absorbed, little empire ruler who made a mistake and then got pissed-off that their victim had the gall to get in their way.

Add a heavy dose of lemming-ism to the psych complex. By far the most common pattern of the guy/gal who's blood pressure is exploding behind me, is for some reason chooses to stay behind me into that certain row in the parking lot, even though 5 other rows are easier for them to choose. Capable of disdain and retaliation, but not capable of thinking for themselves, it's an appalachian thing.

To wilwradio- glad you got out of KC. Any city who elects a mayor named "Sly Jones" has serious impediments to becoming world-class.

To the subaru drivers who dangerously let people out- your selfish need to feel significant, or your selfish need to make a political (liberal) statement, by your dangerous maneuver ("aggressive stopping") to let someone out, is dangerous and destructive, and you are impeding progress.

Lest you all attack me, my observations are accurate, and I am not attacking. I'm simply performing a cathartic exercise. And I am right. Couple weeks ago, talking with a professional level Cincy resident, here 8 years after living in northern Jersey and California, he asked me if I like Cincy. I replied "Yes very much ... The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the drivers ..."

I started describing scenarios, then he stopped me and said "rude, selfish and rude, is what cincy drivers are. Small town, isolated, and too emotional. Big cities have traffic systems that are impersonal, and there is no room for such personal acting out. Cincy is smaller than that, so there you go."

Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 PM

148 posts, read 213,323 times
Insular- that is the word, more accurate than "isolated".
Merriam-webster.com- "insular => being, having, or reflecting a narrow provincial viewpoint". "community that is not receptive of new ideas, especially from outsiders."
OMG- that is too good.
You just can't make this stuff up.
And I must say- I completely let Cincinnati off-the-hook on this, so long as they aspire to be world-class, because I've lived in Dayton, and it is orders-of-magnitude more insular than Cincinnati.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:39 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Also does anyone eles notice that the drivers are the 1-275 are more aggressive and faster then any other freeway. Everytimme i go on that freeway someone in their mustang are always doing 100 just flying past us all.

No way. Drive 70 on I-275 and you are passing most cars.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:37 PM

109 posts, read 166,290 times
I'm pretty sure 96% of Cincinnati drivers still haven't gotten the memo that 471 went from 55 to 65. Ten years ago.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
No way. Drive 70 on I-275 and you are passing most cars.
I posted this a long time ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati