Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
People forget why the 55 MPH National Speed Limit was set in 1974. The purpose was to save gas and our dependence on foreign oil. Of course nobody liked it and enforcement was terrible. It was eventually done away with.

When the Interstates were brand new and nice and smooth a 70 MPH limit was very reasonable in normal traffic volumes such as in rural Ohio, and even higher in the western states with much lower traffic densities. But even then when in a conjested urban area the limit was reduced to 55, which I believe is very rational. Urban environments have shorter exit and entrance ramps due to space constrictions, shorter line of sight distances to evaluate what is going on, more lane changes and jockeying. Here is where I feel the 55 MPH limit still makes sense from a safety standpoint to permit longer reaction times.

There are many Interstates which I feel are unsafe at 70 MPH due to condition. The amount of wash-board roadbeds, cracked and uneven pavement, potholes, is everywhere. Our roads are simply not being maintained as a high speed roadway should be. If you constantly have to correct the suspension of the vehicle the speed is too high.
Please New Yorkers go 85mph with extremely skinny lanes no shoulder and potholes everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Please New Yorkers go 85mph with extremely skinny lanes no shoulder and potholes everywhere.
There are a lot of drivers out there who think they are Mario Andretti, but the simple fact is they are not.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
There are a lot of drivers out there who think they are Mario Andretti, but the simple fact is they are not.

And the world will end if drivers go faster than 55mph....

Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
And the world will end if drivers go faster than 55mph....
Never said 55 MPH should be the speed other than I believe it is perfectly valid for conjested urban areas for the reasons I stated. 85 MPH on Fort Washington Way is assinine and unnecessary. 85 MPH out in a rural area may be perfectly valid providing the roadway is in shape to handle it. It is just that I see very few roadways in this part of the country in shape to handle that speed.

Perhaps it is the Mechanical Engineer in me which comes into play here. I am just more sensitive to what sudden stresses from potholes, etc. can do to cause suspension components to fail, wheel rims to collapse, etc. resulting in some hellacious crashes.

Excessive speed for the conditions may not cause the world to end but it will certainly cause lives to end.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:12 AM

Instead of speed limits getting lower they are raising it.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Instead of speed limits getting lower they are raising it.
And where did anyone advocate lowering speed limits? I am only against raising them beyond the condition of the roadway.

There are locations in Michigan which scare me to death with the increase to 70 MPH because the roadway condition is deplorable, especially the interstate between Chicago and Detroit. I-65 south of Louisville Ky is another stretch which is deplorable, so wash-boardy it is like driving on the ties of a railroad. Those want higher speed limits should in turn demand the roadways be maintained so it is safe for all drivers. This is not what I see happening.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
Quote:
People forget why the 55 MPH National Speed Limit was set in 1974. The purpose was to save gas and our dependence on foreign oil. Of course nobody liked it and enforcement was terrible. It was eventually done away with.

When the Interstates were brand new and nice and smooth a 70 MPH limit was very reasonable in normal traffic volumes such as in rural Ohio, and even higher in the western states with much lower traffic densities. But even then when in a conjested urban area the limit was reduced to 55, which I believe is very rational. Urban environments have shorter exit and entrance ramps due to space constrictions, shorter line of sight distances to evaluate what is going on, more lane changes and jockeying. Here is where I feel the 55 MPH limit still makes sense from a safety standpoint to permit longer reaction times.

There are many Interstates which I feel are unsafe at 70 MPH due to condition. The amount of wash-board roadbeds, cracked and uneven pavement, potholes, is everywhere. Our roads are simply not being maintained as a high speed roadway should be. If you constantly have to correct the suspension of the vehicle the speed is too high.
Very good points! Potholes and the like are like unplanned design features. And they can alter the safe driving speed drastically. They can be unpredictable and sneak up on you, which might lead to a speed limit alteration which might not appear to make sense at first blush. Or they can be very obvious, as in the case where sometimes residents on a residential street will prefer it not be maintained, to discourage through traffic.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
There are locations in Michigan which scare me to death with the increase to 70 MPH because the roadway condition is deplorable, especially the interstate between Chicago and Detroit.

Really? I just drove that stretch 3 weeks ago. 80mph+ the whole way and no issue. I did not see a single accident during the entire trip, so those poor road conditions must be overstated.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Really? I just drove that stretch 3 weeks ago. 80mph+ the whole way and no issue. I did not see a single accident during the entire trip, so those poor road conditions must be overstated.
Driving the 1-65 from Indy to Chicago is 80+ the whole way too and there is a lot of traffic not stopping traffic but more lots of cars. It was crazy weavers, people tailgating like crazy swerving in back of you. Cars not looking when merging its crazy not to mention there were potholes especially as i got closer to Chicago but the most craziest strech i ever been on was on the 1-95 from DC to Boston.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 PM

416 posts, read 701,380 times
Quote:
Ohio is the biggest offender of using underposted speed limits for revenue generation purposes. Prior to 1974, you could legally and safely drive 75mph on the Ohio Turnpike. Notice how the current speed limit is underposted?

The 55mph speed limit had zero compliance.
Link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati