Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,472 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have recently accepted a job that will re-locate us to the Cincinnati area. My job will be near Sharonville so we are looking for houses within a 15-20 minute commute and wish to live outside of the city. Our desire is a single family home and will be looking to rent for a few years. We will only need a smaller home and our budget is a bit tight. We have a very young baby so safety is our top priority. Second most important would be a neighborhood that we could walk out of our front door and be able to take walks. We like rural environments and would love to have a nice size yard but is not mandatory. I would like to be within a 10-15 minute drive of a grocery and a superstore (not Walmart tho!). I would also love to be in a family community where we will easily be able to find in-home day care for our baby, a good pediatrician and a good hospital.

We will not need a good school system for a few years so that is not mandatory at this time but am interested in opinions of the best districts in the area.

I've been looking at rental homes in Loveland, Mason and Maineville. I'd love to hear some good town and neighborhood suggestions that fit the bill. Thanks for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 08:48 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
^^ The three towns you mentioned are fine places. But none of them are particularly walkable. People move there for primarily one thing - schools. As you say you have some time before that becomes a major concern. I have lived in Mason for almost 40 years now and I have driven every where for all that time. I don't think twice about it since parking is so convenient any place I go, but it is a driving not a walking town.

Have you considered Sharonville itself? Housing there is a little more modest and the smaller home at an attractive cost might be there. A good portion of Sharonville is walkable. If it is not attractive to you just go north of I-275 along Route 42 to Pisgah. Pisgah is just a census designated place in West Chester Township. Not much of a place to walk as I don't believe there are any sidewalks. Just keep working your way north into Deerfield Township. There's a little bit of everything in Deerfield. As you get to the northern portion of the township bordering Mason the property is older and more modest. But again, no sidewalks.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:46 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
The older, central part of Sharonville itself is a good option, as are Reading, Dillonvale, or Deer Park. None are as rural as you'd like, but you'll get a modest sized yard with your modest sized house. You might even be able to find an affordable rental in the older, central neighborhoods in Blue Ash.

Maineville will be walkable within whatever subdivision you're in, but no further. Loveland is walkable if you're in the central part of town, in the old village.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:23 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
OP, that is a good question - are you looking for subdivision walk ability (like taking the dog for a walk around the neighborhood) or more?

Also, what's your general budget? I think most of us are thinking you're talking $100-$150k, given the neighborhoods listed. If you're more in the $200k range, for instance, Liberty Twp might make the most sense.

Off the bat though, check out Greenhills. It meets your requirements well.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
OP, that is a good question - are you looking for subdivision walk ability (like taking the dog for a walk around the neighborhood) or more?

Also, what's your general budget? I think most of us are thinking you're talking $100-$150k, given the neighborhoods listed. If you're more in the $200k range, for instance, Liberty Twp might make the most sense.

Off the bat though, check out Greenhills. It meets your requirements well.
First of all the OP says they intend to rent for a few years and their budget is tight. So that does not put them in any particular budget. If they truly want walkability they need to look at older areas like Dillonvale and Deer Park, perhaps Greenhills.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:21 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
^I see. Thanks for the clarification.

There are some townhomes in Liberty Twp. off Yankee Rd. near the Dutchland Woods development (and Liberty Park) that might fit the bill. Otherwise, yeah, Liberty Twp. might not be a great option.

Here's more info on Greenhills:

Cincinnati: Greenhills Village

Old 09-10-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
^I see. Thanks for the clarification.

There are some townhomes in Liberty Twp. off Yankee Rd. near the Dutchland Woods development (and Liberty Park) that might fit the bill. Otherwise, yeah, Liberty Twp. might not be a great option.

Here's more info on Greenhills:

Cincinnati: Greenhills Village
A point or two. If you are going to be working near Sharonville, and have a very young baby, there is no strong reason to be in Liberty Twp. Not much walkability to speak off. That's where you go when schools become an issue.

The older neighborhoods like Deer Park and Dillonvale will give you more walkability. Granted they are older and you must consider condition of what you rent. But my estimation is you need a cheaper rent so you can save money toward a downpayment on a house in the areas with the better schools a few years from now. Am I right?

Old 09-10-2014, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,472 times
Hello all, thanks for the info! We do want to rent and are looking to spend $1200-1400 a month. The less expensive the better so we can save up for a house and college for the little one. We are willing to drive for longer walks but would love to be able to do a few miles around the house, even if it is around a sub-division! Looking around through Dillonvale, Deer Park and Greenhills and I'm finding nothing that fits the bill - ugh! There are a ton in our price range available in Maineville. Why do you think there are so many rentals? Not a desirable or perhaps a lot of new sub-divisions?

Old 09-10-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobi011 View Post
Hello all, thanks for the info! We do want to rent and are looking to spend $1200-1400 a month. The less expensive the better so we can save up for a house and college for the little one. We are willing to drive for longer walks but would love to be able to do a few miles around the house, even if it is around a sub-division! Looking around through Dillonvale, Deer Park and Greenhills and I'm finding nothing that fits the bill - ugh! There are a ton in our price range available in Maineville. Why do you think there are so many rentals? Not a desirable or perhaps a lot of new sub-divisions?
The answer on Maineville is very simple. When property became more expensive in areas like Mason, developers went out to Maineville and bought up a lot of cornfields. And they began to build a lot of houses on those cornfields. But that is all they did, build houses and more houses, no other infrastructure planning. But the attractively priced houses sold, boy did they sell. In the process they overran the capacity of the local school district. So the school district did what they do, we need new buildings, we need more teachers, we need to pass levies. The first couple of go-arounds the levies passed, but here they are again. The voters then said NO. The school district went into fiscal emergency and under control of the state. During this time the housing crunch happened. I read where some houses in Maineville lost 40% of their value. Would that shake you up?

Many people in Maineville have simply been unsuccessful in selling their property. Don't know about all of the rentals you are seeing, but they may be forclosures. The property itself is very desirable, some of the newest in the county. If you can find a rental there you like, engage it and maybe tie into a longer lease.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:57 AM

224 posts, read 297,568 times
I know someone who rents a house in Reading and seems to like it there. Her kids are school age. I don't know how much the rent is.

If you're willing to put up with a longer commute, then the Maineville area would be good if you're looking to rent a newer, nicer home. You may even be able to find one off of 48 that's closer to I71.

You should drive to Loveland sometime and check out the neighborhood across the street from Symmes Park. The street across from there is called Lindenhall, I believe. I know there's another street in that neighborhood called Heidelberg. There are probably a few rentals there and it would certainly fit your walkability requirement. They're somewhat older homes (mostly 1960s, I'm guessing).

Last edited by Misfit Toy; 09-11-2014 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati