Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Not in my lifetime (probably not in my grand-kid's lifetimes)
I agree. Public entities like county comissionares have planning people assigned to them. Now if they are not given an assignment to plan they become excess baggage with no purpose and should be let go. Doesn't mean any of that planning will go anywhere, it takes money to actually build something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 09:56 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
Oh Jeez. You had a once-in-a-generation chance for Cleveland/Columbus/Cincinnati high speed a few years back(or at least federal money created medium-speed rail with the possibility for future upgrades) and Ohio shot it down, even though it was federal and wasn't state money......but you want this?
And you had city subway infrastructure once. Always brought up every ten years or so then forgotten about again.
Pardon my skepticism for a county boasting the Ronald Reagan Highway and its conservative reputation (and anti-rail history) pushing through any legislation on tax expenditures or a bond issue for anything involving rails, esp. for maintenance costs.
If Union Terminal wasn't so gorgeous, I doubt you'd even care about Amtrak.
Here's what New Mexico did with the federal money. It's pretty great. Good ridership, for the most part. (I still miss Ohio though)
http://albuquerquedailyphoto.com/the-rail-runner/

Last edited by kpl1228; 10-08-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 10-08-2014, 10:36 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
How much demand is there for rail service from downtown Cinti to downtown Columbus/Cleveland? It's so impracticle, there's no chance of it operating on a stand-alone-basis post-construction. Where are the big population centers in those 3 cities? Most people live at least 5 miles from downtown----which means someone from Montgomery drives 12 miles south to pick-up the train....pay to park their car-----then upon reaching downtown Columbus/Cleveland....how do they reach their final destination which is likely to be at least 5 miles away? Do you rent a car, or take a taxi?

A total pain in the arse....especially when I can hop in my car and be anywhere in Columbus within 2 hours....which I'm sure is much faster than taking a train.

I've never understood the Democratic parties' seemingly obsession with rail. America is not Europe, we never have been, and never will be. This is a biiiig country. Now I do understand train service from major suburbs to downtowns to transport office workers----but the inter-city rail lines don't make financial sense.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:55 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
You have hit the nail on head. When the destination is a place one cannot drive or park, like NYC, etc. a train may make some sense. Although, rail technology is technology of the past. An 800,000 pound fossil fuel (diesel electric or dedicated electric) vehicle running back and forth on a schedule, sometimes empty, sometimes full, with a professional crew, makes no sense in an environment of 50mpg hybrid vehicles.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:06 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You have hit the nail on head. When the destination is a place one cannot drive or park, like NYC, etc. a train may make some sense. Although, rail technology is technology of the past. An 800,000 pound fossil fuel (diesel electric or dedicated electric) vehicle running back and forth on a schedule, sometimes empty, sometimes full, with a professional crew, makes no sense in an environment of 50mpg hybrid vehicles.

I'd hardly say there's an environment of 50mpg vehicles. In fact only one car, the Prius, is able to achieve 50mpg.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:15 PM

549 posts, read 848,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
How much demand is there for rail service from downtown Cinti to downtown Columbus/Cleveland? It's so impracticle, there's no chance of it operating on a stand-alone-basis post-construction. Where are the big population centers in those 3 cities? Most people live at least 5 miles from downtown----which means someone from Montgomery drives 12 miles south to pick-up the train....pay to park their car-----then upon reaching downtown Columbus/Cleveland....how do they reach their final destination which is likely to be at least 5 miles away? Do you rent a car, or take a taxi?

A total pain in the arse....especially when I can hop in my car and be anywhere in Columbus within 2 hours....which I'm sure is much faster than taking a train.

I've never understood the Democratic parties' seemingly obsession with rail. America is not Europe, we never have been, and never will be. This is a biiiig country. Now I do understand train service from major suburbs to downtowns to transport office workers----but the inter-city rail lines don't make financial sense.
You know Ohio has a population density greater than France, right?

Old 10-08-2014, 01:21 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
I'd hardly say there's an environment of 50mpg vehicles. In fact only one car, the Prius, is able to achieve 50mpg.

Uh huh. That and the Honda hybrid, VW TDI, Pruis Plug in (55mpg), Four (55 mpg), Volt, Tesla, Focus, Mits, Leaf.

The 800,000 pound behemoth was a technological advance when there were horse drawn carriages in the street and a tire was unlikely to make it 42 miles.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:51 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Uh huh. That and the Honda hybrid, VW TDI, Pruis Plug in (55mpg), Four (55 mpg), Volt, Tesla, Focus, Mits, Leaf.

The 800,000 pound behemoth was a technological advance when there were horse drawn carriages in the street and a tire was unlikely to make it 42 miles.
Um.. Cars came about when the horse carriage was still dominant in terms of individual transit. If the criticism is that rail is an old technology, why aren't cars?

Old 10-08-2014, 01:54 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post

For the record, does I-71 operate on a stand-alone basis? Why's it okay to provide massive subsidies to roads but not for anything else, especially when this is public money we're talking about?

And how is this a political issue? I see it more as a generational one, where older folks who grew up showing off their Studebakers at the local malt shop still get all googly-eyed at the latest issue of Car & Driver, while younger generations are increasingly "meh" about the entire culture.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:26 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Time to bring back the Honda CRX. I owned a first run of those in 1984 and bought another in 1987. I was able to get over 50 mpg on the highway in both cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati