Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 05:35 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I wouldn't call my being right all the time as "desperate" . I'd call it experience combined with wisdom.
I've always been most impressed by your modesty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 05:14 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I've always been most impressed by your modesty
A wise man would be able to admit when his experience is lacking.

Today, the dead stop first occurred at Smith Edwards and it was on and off the brakes until it was dead stop again at Redbank entering the Kenwood cut. Yesterday it wasn't dead stop until Redbank, but then it opened up again briefly until Kenwood, and then was at a crawl up through Pfeiffer. Came to a dead stop again at Ronald Reagan. No rain either day, unlike Monday and Tuesday. It was pretty much par for the course.

The good thing is, unless something major goes wrong, heading north in the morning is always better than heading south on 71. But, in looking at the last 4 days, I wouldn't characterize it as a "picnic" if I was trying to get anywhere in a hurry.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:41 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
A wise man would be able to admit when his experience is lacking.

Today, the dead stop first occurred at Smith Edwards and it was on and off the brakes until it was dead stop again at Redbank entering the Kenwood cut. Yesterday it wasn't dead stop until Redbank, but then it opened up again briefly until Kenwood, and then was at a crawl up through Pfeiffer. Came to a dead stop again at Ronald Reagan. No rain either day, unlike Monday and Tuesday. It was pretty much par for the course.

The good thing is, unless something major goes wrong, heading north in the morning is always better than heading south on 71. But, in looking at the last 4 days, I wouldn't characterize it as a "picnic" if I was trying to get anywhere in a hurry.
This morning there was a pedestrian fatality on I-71 at Red Bank, and the police shut down the SB lanes for over an hour. The traffic was routed off the interstate and north to cross county for a bypass. It was by far the worst jam of the year, including the snowstorms. I had students show up to take their tests 45 minutes late.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:26 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
This morning there was a pedestrian fatality on I-71 at Red Bank, and the police shut down the SB lanes for over an hour. The traffic was routed off the interstate and north to cross county for a bypass. It was by far the worst jam of the year, including the snowstorms. I had students show up to take their tests 45 minutes late.
I heard about that. Terrible. I went through probably about 45 minutes before that happened. The man that was killed was the founder of the Rubber Duck Regatta and a champion for the hungry in Cincinnati. A real tragedy. My understanding is that they are having a difficult time figuring out what made him walk out into traffic.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Isn't there a way to get there by using secondary roads? At least for the drive home?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Isn't there a way to get there by using secondary roads? At least for the drive home?

Montgomery Road is a big mess. And, since it parallels I71 it is the most direct route.

If I find myself on the east side of Montgomery, sometimes I'll take Camargo.

If I am on the west side, sometimes Kenwood.

But, it is only a problem in the afternoon.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:09 PM

Don't take Montgomery Road any time soon. The utility companies are installing some sort of conduit up and down Montgomery Road from Norwood out past Silverton, and it involves closing lanes, covering holes with metal plates, and blocking traffic to get equipment in and out.

Another option for the ride home is Reading Road/Rt 42 to the Lateral, but honestly it is even more congested right now, particularly up around Glendale Milford and Sharon Rd. I-71 is really not that bad, all things considered.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:11 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I take Reading from Sharonville down. Usually not a problem and often switch off at Galbraith to Ridge.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I take Reading from Sharonville down. Usually not a problem and often switch off at Galbraith to Ridge.
If you are going that way, you should turn left on Columbia and go up the hill past Mt. Notre Dame instead. Columbia turns into Ridge, and you avoid all of the lights in Reading and the Cross County mess on Galbraith.

I wouldn't say that Reading Road is all that bad, but I-71, even with moderate traffic, is a faster way to get from Mason to Oakley. The only time when it is not is when lanes are closed. The same can't always be said for I-75. I frequently take Reading Road from Victory Parkway up to Section or Galbraith to get home to Amberley during rush hour and I get home in 15 minutes. Compared to I-75, I-71 is smooth sailing.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:36 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
Stay on the interstates. Stop lights will stop any gain you would make by taking back roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati