Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Cincinnati tolerable to all races and mixed couples?
Yes 26 48.15%
No 12 22.22%
Maybe 17 31.48%
Not a chance 5 9.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 03:23 PM

6,343 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
LeahC88. Where do you live at present? Where are you originally from? Both you and your husband?
OK. I'm originally from Connecticut. Right now I live in Indy and it is apparent there are real racial problems here. Bought a home in NKY and have not seen much evidence of if there though I am sure it exists. Have been called a racist in Indy during my stay which is comical. At one time I managed a Domino's Pizza store in Connecticut and changed a store that was filled with nothing but caucasian employees to one that had over 30% minorities including Blacks, a Puerto Rican and someone of Chinese heritage. At least I am not being called a racist by people in Cincy.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:22 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Didn't Ohio recently have some incidents with black males being killed not to be a troll but I think its unfair to try throw Florida under the bus when your backyard isn't clean.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Cincinnati is pretty socially conservative for a city but we have mixed couples here in Kentucky and its even more socially conservative here and 99 percent of people don't even care anymore. Florida can be socially conservative as well in the Northern part of the state by Alabama. You can find racist people anywhere, even when I was in California and NYC I was shocked at how racist some people were, lot of the Mexicans didn't like the Blacks. Moral of the story is if you treat everyone the way you want to be treated the vast majority of the time you will not have any problems with anybody.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:46 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Cincinnati is pretty socially conservative for a city but we have mixed couples here in Kentucky and its even more socially conservative here and 99 percent of people don't even care anymore. Florida can be socially conservative as well in the Northern part of the state by Alabama. You can find racist people anywhere, even when I was in California and NYC I was shocked at how racist some people were, lot of the Mexicans didn't like the Blacks. Moral of the story is if you treat everyone the way you want to be treated the vast majority of the time you will not have any problems with anybody.
Agree some of the most racist people I met throughout my life were transplants from up north and I think it has to do with the segregation up their. Not being around people who are different from you really causes people to develop a more stereotypical opinion about a race. But like you said racists can be found anywhere which is my whole point don't throw a random state under the bus just because its perceived to be that way in the media.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:33 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,401 times
Wish the mods would simply shut down these baseless posts.

I'm with Wilson513 on this. Get over yourself, lady. Does anyone even bat an eye at a mixed couple in 2015? Not in any aggregate amount for you to get worked up about it.

These types of posts pop up for no other reason than to foment division.

All for expunging this thread from the boards say 'yea'... YEA

Old 01-16-2015, 07:38 PM

8 posts, read 15,124 times
Well, if I didn't hear or see racism happen, this post wouldn't be here. I'm just doing whats best for my family.
you must not have read my post earlier. My friend lives in Eastgate and has had her fair share of racism.
I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. And to say no one bats a eye at mixed couples
is way beyond me, because it has happened to me in other states, even down to
calling my children the N word.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:43 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahc88 View Post
Well, if I didn't hear or see racism happen, this post wouldn't be here. I'm just doing whats best for my family.
you must not have read my post earlier. My friend lives in Eastgate and has had her fair share of racism.
I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. And to say no one bats a eye at mixed couples
One thing I've learned over the years is that people will find any reason to discriminate against other people. Race is less prevalent these days though it can happen across all races including blacks against whites. Overweight people? Yep. Wear glasses? Yep. Move to another region from another one and you can find it too? I used to have to listen to cracks about being from NY when I lived in areas of MO and KS despite the fact I was from New England. Gay people? Yep. They get it too. Red haired people? Yep. Blonde women being the butt of dumb blonde jokes? Yep. Even the way you look such as being angry or perhaps in a distant state of thought can lead ignorant morons to conjure up something twisted.

Hope you understand the point. Everyone discriminates against someone else for most any reason they care to create. I've dealt with it too. In fact, having to endure all sorts of personal attacks and being bullied at the hands of customers or store clerks while in Indianapolis for the last 15 months has been an unbelievable experience. Much worse than when I lived in Kansas City. Can't wait to leave these cretins and thugs.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:43 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahc88 View Post
You definitely have valid concerns. My husband, son and I are white and our daughter (adopted at birth) is white/black so we are a transracial family. I probably would have said the same thing lots of people are saying "its 2015, no way this happens"; I was blissfully colorblind prior to adopting my daughter. And then, IT began happening. Nobody burned a cross in my front yard but it was obvious we were only being "tolerated". People won't understand the stares and dirty looks, the ridiculous comments unless they've lived our experiences. OP, you are right to question this anywhere you chose for your family. We are a military family and we've lived all over the U.S. although both my husband and I grew up in Ohio (south of Dayton). When choosing places to raise our kids, we've found military towns and college towns to be a good fit for us.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:04 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Default Here goyguy goes again: TL;DR warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
You definitely have valid concerns. My husband, son and I are white and our daughter (adopted at birth) is white/black so we are a transracial family. I probably would have said the same thing lots of people are saying "its 2015, no way this happens"; I was blissfully colorblind prior to adopting my daughter. And then, IT began happening. Nobody burned a cross in my front yard but it was obvious we were only being "tolerated". People won't understand the stares and dirty looks, the ridiculous comments unless they've lived our experiences. OP, you are right to question this anywhere you chose for your family. We are a military family and we've lived all over the U.S. although both my husband and I grew up in Ohio (south of Dayton). When choosing places to raise our kids, we've found military towns and college towns to be a good fit for us.
"Baseless posts" that "foment division" - those sorts of comments are parroted everywhere you go online when discussions such as this come up. It's the latest variation on "I'm not prejudiced, but..." Although the author of the quoted post isn't the only person who obviously Googles topics, in order to jump on board every thread relevant to them, who's joined this forum I'm always grateful for back-up! Those who don't have to endure the corrosive effects of profiling, hateful remarks, social shunning, etc are the first to wail that it's "whatever year" and because blatant violent episodes of bigotry are on the wane therefore the problem of racism has vanished.

"Eastgate" is a shopping mall and not the name of a suburb. (The only town in the Cincinnati area with "gate" in its name is Southgate, KY.) But its surrounding area is overwhelmingly Caucasian and middle-class, politically right-leaning moderate. Anderson Township to the west is primarily post-WWII subdivisions. Its older malls that Eastgate killed - Beechmont Mall and Cherry Grove Plaza - have been reconfigured with fair success so there's no blight brought on by retail desertion. Beyond Anderson lies the city's eastern neighborhood known as Mt Washington, not a "struggling" community by any stretch but one with its challenges. Like many an outer-ring urban sector it's saddled with aging and mostly uninteresting homes as well as a declining retail corridor. By having its location on the opposite side of the broad Little Miami River floodplain (crossed by the only levee in Cincinnati I know of) Mt Washington is geographically cut off from the remainder of the city yet is legally part of it. Sociologically speaking, it's in a sort of limbo between "urban" and "suburban."
Then, to the east we have the start of Clermont (pron. "Clair-mont") County. Postwar sprawl - strip malls, apartment complexes - was more confined to the main roads up until comparatively recently. With Anderson "built out," numerous generic subdivisions have encroached on woods and farm fields with Eastgate spurring the growth. The opening of the eastern leg of I-275 has only sped the process along.

If this description doesn't make it clear: Eastgate Mall and its vicinity would socially fall into the "tolerant" category as a rule. Diversity in Anderson translates into having a non-Christian household on your block (needless to say, still "White") - and history shows that the residents haven't always been kind in this regard. A small number of "pioneers" has begun settling in Mt Washington, with only one significant racial incident which made the news to speak of. (Italics added because who knows what doesn't land on the media radar?) So it's fair to say that although no "flight" is occurring, neither is there a complete absence of tension now that the houses aren't cool antiques or The Latest Thing and a few of "them" have crossed the levee. NOT recommended for move-in.

The OP has not gone into any detail about what sort of schools would be most appropriate, but my sinking feeling is that they'll have to forgo convenience - and academic quality to some extent - given their circumstances. Outside Cincinnati the suburban districts that have had the most good results with an "integrated" student body are all on the northern fringe. The Princeton schools in particular stand out; though not tip-top in the rankings they operate from a healthy tax base and offer an impressive range of subjects including plenty of AP classes. Sports teams do well and are energetically supported. What makes the district unique is that it draws from five highly disparate municipalities, everywhere from mansion-heavy old-money Glendale to chronically impoverished Lincoln Heights. (Naturally, all too many "Glendaleans" go the private/parochial route with their kids, but there's a healthy proportion that doesn't.) Once upon a time during my adolescence in the '70s and early '80s it was actually normal for genuine and deep friendships to form easily across class and racial lines. ("We're roommates at Ohio State, but we met at Princeton." "Yeah, I grew up in Springdale and he's from Woodlawn." Different colors, best buds.) More likely than not this still holds true.
The uber-suburban Lakota district (West Chester and Union Township) would also be a logical and solid choice. Not all tax measures have won at the polls, and student overcrowding is an ongoing issue, but the schools stay highly regarded. West Chester also has dwelling quietly within its developments a small AA middle to upper-middle class population.
Fairfield comes in a strong third.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:16 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
It's the latest variation on "I'm not prejudiced, but..." Although the author of the quoted post isn't the only person who obviously Googles topics, in order to jump on board every thread relevant to them
??? I didn't realize I needed an invitation to post here, but thanks for the warm welcome. The topic showed up on the main log in screen because it happened to be the most recently posted on for this forum. It caught my eye and I decided to participate. Having lived in the area for 20+ years and 90% of my family still is there, I keep up with Ohio. No agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati