Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 06:27 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,246,130 times

Advertisements

Overpass collapse closes I-75 SB, kills worker | Local News - WLWT Home

"
The roadway is expected to be shut down for at least 48 hours. I-75 SB traffic is being detoured to WB I-74.
The ramp from I-74 eastbound to I-75 southbound is also closed indefinitely.
News 5 Traffic
All commercial traffic traveling through Greater Cincinnati via I-75 must reroute onto I-275 or I-71 unless the driver is delivering within the I-275 loop.
All other drivers are asked to avoid the area if at all possible. Traffic traveling eastbound on I-74 will be rerouted to northbound I-75 or the Colerain/Beekman Avenue exit.
WLWT will provide more information as it becomes available

Horrible situation...prayers to the family...and if you live in W Chester, Fairfield, Hamilton, Monroe, Evendale, Sharonville, Glendale and so forth, I cannot imagine the suckage now of your commute to downtown. I probably went under that bridge hundreds of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 06:50 AM

610 posts, read 798,025 times
The two good things you can pull is that the ramp was closed, since it was about to be torn down anyways and that this happened late a night. Could have been really bad had it happened during the day.

71 south was worse than usual this morning but I have to be at work at 7am, so it wasn't horrible at that time. I heard by 8am 71 was just a parking lot.

What a mess.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:41 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,975,106 times
Traiffic on 71 is going to be INSANE tonight. I'm leaving work early and will work from home tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:37 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times
Here's hoping the media backs off with their stupid insinuating questions until the facts are learned in this collapse. I watched the TV briefing the Cincinnati officials conducted from near the sight and was appalled at how often they had to politely remark it was way too premature to address such a question.

My engineering background whispers to me somebody did something wrong here. The fact the bridge was in the process of being demolished says a mistake was made. This could be one of several things, such as improper evaluation of the inherent structural integrity to begin with, incorrect weakening of the structural integrity due to lack of training, experience, or just plain not paying attention. Since the span was being removed with an operating highway beneath it, I have to assume removal was to be in sections, likely at night when partial highway shutdown could be accommodated. But this early not much has been released on the planned removal process.

It is my understanding the Cincinnati Police will be the lead for Cincinnati in the investigation. Obviously the police must be involved. but to me this incident is a result of incorrect adherence to and application of engineering principles, and the police are not engineers. I sure hope the engineers from ODOT are (should have already been) employed in force to take pictures in minute detail so they can try to determine what actually happened.

I am concerned that in the haste to clear the debris to open the highway certain clues as to what actually happened may be lost. That debris must be moved with heavy equipment which will likely destroy much of it in the process.

It is also obvious to me just the tonnage of the debris falling on the roadbed must have caused a lot of damage. But once the roadway is cleared they can come in with pavement cutters, dozers, dump trucks, etc., dig out and replace the damaged section in the matter of several hours. If in fact a capable general supervisor is used, he can start replacement of one section of the roadbed before the other end is even cleared. This is when we find out whether our public employees can get their act together or not.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:00 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,537,114 times
There's no job too urgent that it cannot be done safely, and sadly....safety was not taken into account here. Now the mistake of a few must inconvenience many.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:20 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Traiffic on 71 is going to be INSANE tonight. I'm leaving work early and will work from home tomorrow.
northbound 75 is still open, right?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:32 PM

245 posts, read 333,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
northbound 75 is still open, right?
I checked the traffic cameras and 75N appears open. Of course you know it's going to run slow because of the 'rubber necking'.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:59 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,585,887 times
Southbound 75 is now back open. That was quick.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:11 PM

133 posts, read 205,234 times
Indeed. And it honestly it really wasn't that big of a inconvenience going from West Chester back to downtown today. Just took the I74 exit (4), essentially did a U-turn, and got home via central parkway instead.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:33 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,087,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
71 south was worse than usual this morning but I have to be at work at 7am, so it wasn't horrible at that time. I heard by 8am 71 was just a parking lot.

What a mess.
I can vouch for that. It was stopped at Mason-Montgomery so I jumped on 275 and swung through NKY to 471. Was much, much better. Despite the inconvenience (the one day I have to be in downtown Cincinnati!), glad the road (I-75) was cleared quicker than they thought.

Hope that the general contractor will be investigated heavily and properly. Does anyone know if NTSB or OSP has the first dibs on this investigation. Just curious if anyone has heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati