Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:34 AM

150 posts, read 171,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
When I was a tyke, the garbage men came around three days a week and got the cans from the back yard and put them at the curb. Today, not only do I have to do that job, there are pages of rules telling me how to do it and what fines I will face for not doing it right.
Didn't George Orwell warn us? Considert the complexity of urban zoning codes vs. the more relaxed life in the countryside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 07:56 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
When I was a tyke, the garbage men came around three days a week and got the cans from the back yard and put them at the curb. Today, not only do I have to do that job, there are pages of rules telling me how to do it and what fines I will face for not doing it right.
An interesting comment. I take these changes to relate to efficiency, that is, not paying high labor rates for garbage men to hunt down everyone's garbage cans. I remember when I was a Peace Corps volunteer, the railroad crossing to the village was staffed by a person who manually lowered the gates when a train approached. Why? Because labor was cheap, dirt cheap; cheaper than installing a crossing gate.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:03 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
An interesting comment. I take these changes to relate to efficiency, that is, not paying high labor rates for garbage men to hunt down everyone's garbage cans. I remember when I was a Peace Corps volunteer, the railroad crossing to the village was staffed by a person who manually lowered the gates when a train approached. Why? Because labor was cheap, dirt cheap; cheaper than installing a crossing gate.

Oh, I wish efficiency was the reason.

But, I doubt that my 84 year old neighbor who has to carry a week's worth of trash down the 12 steps from her house to the street sees the City's dumping of this task on her as opposed to using some of our tax dollars to have fit, qualified individuals do the job, as efficiency.

More like the desire of the City to give the money to the likes of Mahogany's Restaurant or build a street car.

Today, we work for the government, not the other way around as it should be.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 AM

Someone said 'he works best who works for himself' (sorry Ladies!). A layercake is a tasty treat...except when it is a product of government. They conjure up such nice cakes!

Old 03-03-2015, 10:00 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times
Looks like everyone will have the chance to shovel again Wednesday night and Thursday Morning. Possible 5 inches.

More snow expected after rain ends Wednesday | Weather - WLWT Home

Old 03-07-2015, 06:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Looks like everyone will have the chance to shovel again Wednesday night and Thursday Morning. Possible 5 inches.

More snow expected after rain ends Wednesday | Weather - WLWT Home
So glad the weather did not really come to the Northern suburbs. We didn't need it and still don't. Too bad KY was up to their ass in snow. Watching the weather melt everything in my neighborhood and thinking Thank God.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:59 AM

Didn't Hemingway write a story like 'A Farewell to Shovels' ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati