Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times

Advertisements

I think the first Cherry Coke I had was at the drug store. I agree with Hyden that the canned ones you buy off the shelf today aren't quite the same.

Hyden, when you go to Cincy, don't forget to take your camera along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 PM

325 posts, read 1,125,488 times
NightBazaar, What do you want a picture of?? everything from our childhood is gone. Hyden

Old 02-18-2009, 10:06 PM

I'm just kidding. But if you happen to plan on being near the area, I'm sure there must be a street sign that still says Kingsley Drive. That's about it though. LOL! The orphanage is still there. And Mansion Hill (although no mansion) is still there. It'd be interesting to see what Coney Island looks like these days. I dunno. It'd be interesting to see some ground level views of the area just to see those changes more clearly. Aerial photos just don't give the same perspective.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 PM

69 posts, read 269,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
ChiDiana, That was my favorite, anything with cherry in it. I buy cherry surup like what you use for snow cones and put it in my pop myself, Coke or Pepsi doesn't come close with their mixture. I don't drink much pop though, mostly coffee. But when I get to Cincinnati one of the first things I do is go to Frishes and order Fish sandwich, onion rings and cherry coke. YUM YUM ! I might be there next month or April. Hyden
Great minds, then... I do the same thing, as well as Skyline. I also agree about the cherry syrup. I'm also a big coffee drinker. Someone gave me an espresso maker a few years ago and I love fooling around with that, too. Those cherry phosphates that were handmade at Hogues drugstore were great, though. I doubt that they would even taste the same these days. We really were lucky to have grown up when we did.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:53 PM

69 posts, read 269,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I'm just kidding. But if you happen to plan on being near the area, I'm sure there must be a street sign that still says Kingsley Drive. That's about it though. LOL! The orphanage is still there. And Mansion Hill (although no mansion) is still there. It'd be interesting to see what Coney Island looks like these days. I dunno. It'd be interesting to see some ground level views of the area just to see those changes more clearly. Aerial photos just don't give the same perspective.
NightBazaar, Coney Island was purchased years ago by a guy named Ron Walker who was in business with the Lindners (Great American, UDF, etc.) He must have had a soft spot for amusements as he bought and refurbished a couple of them. Nevertheless, Mr. Walker died suddenly of a heart attack at least a decade ago, I think. His widow, however, continues to rebuild Coney even bringing back some of the old rides.
Welcome to Coney Island Park

I had a friend that knew Walker and even though I never met him he sounded like a pretty nice guy.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDiana View Post
NightBazaar, Coney Island was purchased years ago by a guy named Ron Walker who was in business with the Lindners (Great American, UDF, etc.) He must have had a soft spot for amusements as he bought and refurbished a couple of them. Nevertheless, Mr. Walker died suddenly of a heart attack at least a decade ago, I think. His widow, however, continues to rebuild Coney even bringing back some of the old rides.
Welcome to Coney Island Park

I had a friend that knew Walker and even though I never met him he sounded like a pretty nice guy.

Great link! I've seen that before. I remember the Wildcat Roller Coaster Ride. Others included were the Cyclone, Shooting Star, Wild Mouse, the Rotor, Fun in the Dark, just to name a few. There was also a 'Tunnel of Love' boat ride (but I can't recall the name of it now) and a tower with rockets attached by cables that would swing out as it spun around. Many good times were spent there.

Yes, it's my understanding that an effort to somewhat restore Coney Island was underway, although a complete restoration isn't likely. I think somewhere in this thread, I posted some links about Coney Island. One website included a number of photos which showed the original entrance gate is still there.

I remember at least three amusement parks (including Coney Island) in Cincinnati. One was located on the same highway, not far from Coney Island, heading back toward the city. And there was a very small, but fun one at the zoo.

Way back then, Coney Island was the BIG amusement park of Cincinnati. Of course, it's pretty dinky compared to Kings Island. Still, there was a certain kind of magic and charm about Coney Island that just doesn't exist in the gigantic theme parks.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:38 PM

185 posts, read 458,881 times
NightBazzar,I recall in `56 or `57 the Roller Coaster @ Coney was the largest in the world,of course it wouldn`t come close to that now.However in our day Coney was our favorite place to go.We would go early & stay all day,what fun we had.A.F.D.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:47 PM

185 posts, read 458,881 times
Hyden,when you talk to Ronnie again ask him if he remembers the Farmers Market,I think it was on Duck Creek Rd.We would go there to get fresh veggies on Saturday.They also had a small circus there to entertain the kids while the parents shopped.A.F.D.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.F.D. View Post
NightBazzar,I recall in `56 or `57 the Roller Coaster @ Coney was the largest in the world,of course it wouldn`t come close to that now.However in our day Coney was our favorite place to go.We would go early & stay all day,what fun we had.A.F.D.

We did the same thing at Coney Island. We too would make an entire day of having fun there, sometimes well into the evening. I can almost see the lights, hear all the sounds, and smell the smells of the midway. There were a number of amusement parks, large and small around, but Coney Island was our favorite place too.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 AM

325 posts, read 1,125,488 times
Good morning, I woke up early about 6:00, I'll probably take a nap later . I am really looking forword the pictures that Shanoe trail has to put on here. It's going to be fun to look at. Bye for now, Hyden

Last edited by Hyden; 02-26-2009 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati