Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Chili Do You Prefer?
Skyline 12 50.00%
Goldstart 4 16.67%
Empress 2 8.33%
Other 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:19 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I voted for Skyline... but Blue Ash Chili is damn good too.
LOL - I voted the same way, but like Blue Ash Chili as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 11:39 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Feh on all Cincinnati chili Never could stand the stuff - I think it's the "secret ingredients" (rumored to be cinnamon and chocolate, albeit in trace amounts.) But the best of the bunch is Skyline. With cheese, over spaghetti, and with plenty o' oyster crackers, thank you.

'tis true what was said about 'nati chili not catching on outside the region. I love a bowl of fiery Texas-style m'self, and I think the collective taste buds of the country are with me on that one. Some Cincinnatians, from the West Side it's said, attempted to replicate the product in Boston. They operated out of a take-out joint called Riverfront Chili and may have stayed in business for as long as two years. (Would the place have been called Great American Chili had it opened today? LOL) OTOH I've heard that one of the chains, Skyline perhaps, has caught on in Florida due to all the Tri-State emigres.

Chili orders are part of the Queen City vocabulary that marks a person as being from the area, along with "Please?" In my work I do a lot of business with college students, and one day found myself talking with a guy who'd relocated from my adopted area to study at Xavier. I steered the phone call into chat about Cincinnati chili; "Love the stuff!" said he. He cracked up when I said I hoped he hadn't punched the first person who asked him if he was in the mood for a three-way. Chalk up one convert.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
OTOH I've heard that one of the chains, Skyline perhaps, has caught on in Florida due to all the Tri-State emigres.
Goguy, if you travel to Naples, Fla., it'll seem like you've never left home. It was so annoying -- I'd gone on vacation to get away from Cincinnati, and everywhere I looked there was a Fifth Third Bank here, a Skyline there ...

Old 06-25-2008, 07:41 AM

455 posts, read 1,885,017 times
I voted Skyline but was mostly thinking in terms of vs. Gold Star. GS kind of tastes like Manwich filling compared to Skyline and even the hot sauce is not as good IMO. There is a bar downtown, Tina's on 4th street, that has a really good hybrid of Texas/Cincinnati style chilli. The bartender girls there are verrrrr nice to look at as well...

Old 06-25-2008, 09:28 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
LOL...I'm squarely on the fence...I do Skyline for chili, and Gold Star for the coneys...but I'm gonna need to try some of these other places---my mouth is watering too :-)

Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
LOL...and one more quick note---I saw 2 of my fave Cincinnati posters (HartwellGirl and Hillside) on the same thread at the same time...and they weren't lobbing broadsides at each other! I love it!!! Now if I could get 'em both to join hands and sing 'Kum-Ba-Ya' LOL

Old 06-25-2008, 12:08 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
LOL...and one more quick note---I saw 2 of my fave Cincinnati posters (HartwellGirl and Hillside) on the same thread at the same time...and they weren't lobbing broadsides at each other! I love it!!! Now if I could get 'em both to join hands and sing 'Kum-Ba-Ya' LOL
lol or "stop the violence" by krs-one .

Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 PM

45 posts, read 213,992 times
i voted for gold star. It's the first ciny chili i had and been hooked ever sence. Anything else dosn't seem as good

Old 06-25-2008, 09:02 PM

205 posts, read 984,717 times
I voted for Gold Star, too.

I always put the hot sauce on my chili and Skyline's tasted like something toxic (it reminded me of what putting napalm on your chili might possibly taste like) and quite capable of inflicting a long and agonizing death (with prolonged use, of course).

Old 06-26-2008, 05:23 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Did everybody see the pictures in the paper a couple of weeks ago, of the minivan that ran into the front of the Skyline at Clifton and Ludlow? Freak accident? Or somebody whose jones for chili got out of hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati