Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Chili Do You Prefer?
Skyline 12 50.00%
Goldstart 4 16.67%
Empress 2 8.33%
Other 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 06:08 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,136,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
There used to be an Empress on Rapid Run Pike - anyone know if it is still there?
Dont know about that one but there is an Empress on Vine in Hartwell....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,981 times
Can't believe it took four pages until Camp Washington was mentioned.

Skyline is second, but the last time I was in-town I had a great meal and amicable conversation with the late night crew at a Gold Star on Third Street in Covington near Mainstrasse. First time I've ever had a decent experience both food and atmosphere-wise at a Gold Star.

There's a sports bar in Phoenix called "Hail Mary's" run by a family from Cleveland. Damnedest thing was that they served Cincinnati Chili and it wasn't terrible. A little dry, but otherwise pretty good.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 PM

69 posts, read 269,698 times
I didn't see this thread until the poll closed, but would have to vote for Skyline. I miss it so much that my folks send me care packages so that I always have a few cans of it in the pantry. I still have to come home to Cincy if I want a real coney. Nowhere else I have ever lived has ever really "gotten it" when it comes to Cincinnati-style Chili. I think it must be a taste that's developed over the years.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDiana View Post
I didn't see this thread until the poll closed, but would have to vote for Skyline. I miss it so much that my folks send me care packages so that I always have a few cans of it in the pantry. I still have to come home to Cincy if I want a real coney. Nowhere else I have ever lived has ever really "gotten it" when it comes to Cincinnati-style Chili. I think it must be a taste that's developed over the years.
I've learned not to be as picky about Cincinnati Chili now that I live outside the Tri-State. I've got cans and chili packets from Skyline, Gold Star, Dixie and other knock-offs in my cupboard and I've used all brands at one point or another to make chili for friends in California during college (they all loved the stuff).

You're completely right about the coneys, though. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I've never been able to replicate the coney's I've had at parlours in Cincinnati. There's something wonderful (and probably terribly unhealthy) about the way they taste. I'm guessing it has something to do with the brand/type of hot dogs and buns and the way they're cooked?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:07 PM

267 posts, read 722,652 times
rumor they add chocolate

Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
I've learned not to be as picky about Cincinnati Chili now that I live outside the Tri-State. I've got cans and chili packets from Skyline, Gold Star, Dixie and other knock-offs in my cupboard and I've used all brands at one point or another to make chili for friends in California during college (they all loved the stuff).
I have about 30 packages of the the Cincinnati brand chili mix (available at Krogers) which comes very darned close to the taste. It is a lot easier to ship than dealing with all of those cans.

Personally, the best canned chili was Stegner's but they are long out of business. I miss their turtle and mock turtle soups.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:49 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
If you want a great DIY recipe for Cincinnati chili, snag a copy of Mary Anna DuSablon's A Cincinnati Recipe Treasury.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have about 30 packages of the the Cincinnati brand chili mix (available at Krogers) which comes very darned close to the taste. It is a lot easier to ship than dealing with all of those cans.
Same here. I have maybe one or two cans of Dixie in the cupboard, but the rest are packets from Skyline, Gold Star and generic "Cincinnati-Style Chili" mix (which I've also found at Fry's Marketplace in Phoenix, which is owned by Kroger)

The packets require a little more work than a can, but that's where the Crock Pot comes in handy.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Same here. I have maybe one or two cans of Dixie in the cupboard, but the rest are packets from Skyline, Gold Star and generic "Cincinnati-Style Chili" mix (which I've also found at Fry's Marketplace in Phoenix, which is owned by Kroger)

The packets require a little more work than a can, but that's where the Crock Pot comes in handy.

C'mon, it is not THAT difficult.

Put 3 quarts of water in the pan.
Add the packet, add a can of tomato paste.
Boil the water,
Add ground beef. (Helps to put it in by strand to avoid lumps.)
Reduce to simmer for two hours.

About four minutes

Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 PM

I never said it was difficult, just a little time-consuming with the two hour simmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati