Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times

Advertisements

Regarding Atlanta, you cannot overestimate the impact that Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport has had on the city's standing regionally, nationally and globally. Quite simply, it is the engine that drives the economy of the entire Southeast -- and it has been so since the 1950s. Put another way: The airport is not what it is because of Atlanta; rather, Atlanta is what it is because of the airport. Make sense?

Maybe this will help: 80 percent of the U.S. population is within a 2 hour flight to ATL, which is the largest hub of the world's largest airline, Delta. From ATL, Delta flies to more cities in more countries on more continents (6) than any other airline on earth. In reverse, that makes Atlanta the most easily accessible U.S. market for international travelers looking to do business in the booming Southeast. Delta is the ONLY U.S. airline that flies to the continent of Africa ... THE CONTINENT. Delta's Atlanta-Johannesburg service -- the longest direct domestic flight on earth -- has been an enormous catylyst for investment and trade between South Africa and Georgia. Atlanta's reputation in the developing countries of Africa, Asia and South America is extremely high due to the 1996 Olympics, the legacy of MLK and the role the city played in the American Civil Rights movement, the diplomatic efforts of former President Jimmy Carter, the global war on AIDS being led by the Center for Disease Control, as well as the reach of corporate giants like Coca-Cola, Turner Broadcasting, Home Depot, UPS, etc.

I dare say, Atlanta has greater name recognition -- and gets more respect -- outside the United States than it does here at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 10:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Regarding Atlanta, you cannot overestimate the impact that Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport has had on the city's standing regionally, nationally and globally. Quite simply, it is the engine that drives the economy of the entire Southeast -- and it has been so since the 1950s. Put another way: The airport is not what it is because of Atlanta; rather, Atlanta is what it is because of the airport. Make sense?

Maybe this will help: 80 percent of the U.S. population is within a 2 hour flight to ATL, which is the largest hub of the world's largest airline, Delta. From ATL, Delta flies to more cities in more countries on more continents (6) than any other airline on earth. In reverse, that makes Atlanta the most easily accessible U.S. market for international travelers looking to do business in the booming Southeast. Delta is the ONLY U.S. airline that flies to the continent of Africa ... THE CONTINENT. Delta's Atlanta-Johannesburg service -- the longest direct domestic flight on earth -- has been an enormous catylyst for investment and trade between South Africa and Georgia. Atlanta's reputation in the developing countries of Africa, Asia and South America is extremely high due to the 1996 Olympics, the legacy of MLK and the role the city played in the American Civil Rights movement, the diplomatic efforts of former President Jimmy Carter, the global war on AIDS being led by the Center for Disease Control, as well as the reach of corporate giants like Coca-Cola, Turner Broadcasting, Home Depot, UPS, etc.

I dare say, Atlanta has greater name recognition -- and gets more respect -- outside the United States than it does here at home.

Good post - I think there is something to that and the significance of such a large airport. It also helps facilitate business with the access via so many direct flights.

Just one note, The combined United/Continental is now the largest airline, but Delta is pretty close

Old 06-17-2010, 10:24 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Good post - I think there is something to that and the significance of such a large airport. It also helps facilitate business with the access via so many direct flights.

Just one note, The combined United/Continental is now the largest airline, but Delta is pretty close
Delta is still the largest airline in the world since the United/Continental merger has not been approved yet.

American gets dealt into United merger mix - latimes.com

Old 06-17-2010, 10:25 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Quote:
The United-Continental merger hasn't even been approved yet.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Delta is still the largest airline in the world since the United/Continental merger has not been approved yet.

American gets dealt into United merger mix - latimes.com

It will be...

Old 06-17-2010, 04:43 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
It will be...
It probably will be...and THEN United/Continental will be the largest.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It probably will be...and THEN United/Continental will be the largest.

But either way Delta is still huge

I am always stuck on US air because of the Philly Hub

Old 06-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:

I believe there are a few US carriers that fly out of JFK to Cairo - last I checked that is in Africa

Old 06-17-2010, 07:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:

the 96 olympics were an embarrassment. they did a lot for atlanta though

other cities either have already, or are already getting direct flights to Africa... NY > Abuja NY > Lagos Houston >Lagos... that is just off the top of my head. I think Boston has a direct to Johannesburg also... but don't quote me on that last one.
Anyway what is the big deal, stopping in Frankfurt or London? I'd rather do that actually, b/c its a freaking longggg flight. I've done it.

Last edited by grapico; 06-17-2010 at 07:30 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
the 96 olympics were an embarrassment. they did a lot for atlanta though

other cities either have already, or are already getting direct flights to Africa... NY > Abuja NY > Lagos Houston >Lagos... that is just off the top of my head. I think Boston has a direct to Johannesburg also... but don't quote me on that last one.
Anyway what is the big deal, stopping in Frankfurt or London? I'd rather do that actually, b/c its a freaking longggg flight. I've done it.
The Olympics may have been portrayed by a pissed off media as an embarrassment, but for those of us on the ground that was hardly the case. And you are correct, they did a LOT for Atlanta.

As far as Africa, only NY is as well connected as ATL. We have had a Lagos nonstop in place for a while now (routinely sold out), in addition to the J'burg flights. The J'burg flights are extremely popular, as they save 6 hours over connecting in London/Paris/Frankfurt. Fights to Accra & Monrovia just started this month. Delta has declared that they intend to be the market leader from the U.S. to Africa.

And I'm not quoting you, but Boston doesn't have any direct service to Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City