Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Not to mention the fact that he ranked Atlanta ahead of Boston...
That has got to be up there as an unforgiveable sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
That has got to be up there as an unforgiveable sin.
Haha yes, a mortal sin indeed!

I wonder where clean_polo is?

Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,886 times
Quote:
Haha yes, a mortal sin indeed!

I wonder where clean_polo is?
I never said Boston's airport was some slouch, I just figured Atlanta's being the busiest airport in the world would hold some weight.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:16 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
It might be a reason that Atlanta would be considered more important than Little Rock, Arkansas...but not Boston. It's an airport.

Well here are a few things that make me think Boston is ahead of Atlanta.

GDP:
Atlanta: $269.799 Billion
Boston: $299.590 Billion

CSA GDP:
Atlanta: $276.197 Billion
Boston: $413.390 Billion

Boston is ranked as the #1 life sciences cluster in the country, the #2 Biotech cluster (http://www.allbusiness.com/economy-economic-indicators/economic-conditions-growth/5614766-1.html - broken link) in the country, #3 high tech city in the country, and the #1 nanotechnology cluster in the country.

Boston is the medical research capital of the country and arguably the world. Boston/Cambridge receives much more annual NIH funding than any other city in the country, with $1,924,398,042. New York is second with 1,249,925,616 and Baltimore is third with 834,538,583. Atlanta is 20th with 287,241,627 (Cambridge alone blows Atlanta out of the water).

Boston is ranked the #3 financial center (http://www.geneve-finance.ch/fr/place_fin/file.cfm/document/The_Global_Financial_Centres_Index_7.pdf?contentid =2190 - broken link) in the country, #14 in the world. It's #3 in terms of both private equity firms and hedge funds (Boston totals to $68.9 Billion, with SF third at $20 Billion) in the world, trailing only New York City and London. Boston is where the mutual fund was created and it's arguably the center for mutual funds in the planet. Financial services companies like State Street Bank, Putnam Investments, Fidelity Investments, John Hancock, and MFS are headquartered here. These institutions are often in charge of massive pension funds and retirement funds for major companies/governments across the country and planet.

Four of the top ten management consulting firms on the planet--including two of the top three--are headquartered in Boston.

Boston is home to what is far-and-away the most powerful and influential institute of higher education on the planet, Harvard University. It's also home to arguably the world's best tech institution on the planet, MIT.

So in summary, Boston has larger economy than Atlanta, it is the medical research center of our country, has the most impressive life sciences cluster in the country, it is among the elite cities on the planet in terms of high technology, biotechnology, and nanotechnology. It's a major force in finance especially when it comes to asset management, private equity, hedge funds, venture capital, and mutual funds. It's the educational Mecca of the planet, with schools like Harvard and MIT constantly producing government and business leaders who make impacts all over the world.

That's why Hartsfield International Airport is not more important than Boston.

Boston is "niche-y"...

This is why Atlanta is ranked higher (as it should be).

Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,631 times
I'm surprised people think Atlanta is more important than Boston. I'm not taking anything away from Atlanta because it's becoming more than just a regional power, perhaps it already has. However, to say it's more important or should be ranked higher than Boston is still a stretch.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:39 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Boston is "niche-y"...

This is why Atlanta is ranked higher (as it should be).
In other words, Boston dominates finance. What does Atlanta dominate?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:44 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Atlanta doesn't dominate any industry (maybe transportation). It's just good in a lot of different ones, but isn't the "king" of any of them, I guess I should say.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Atlanta doesn't dominate any industry (maybe transportation). It's just good in a lot of different ones, but isn't the "king" of any of them, I guess I should say.
Expand that thought...Tell us what Atlanta is really good at so we can compare it to what Boston is good at.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:52 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Expand that thought...Tell us what Atlanta is really good at so we can compare it to what Boston is good at.
Atlanta posters could probably explain it better, but I'd say: tech, telecommunications, media, non-profits, government jobs, and some medical (in addition to the already mentioned transportation).

Old 06-23-2010, 02:56 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times
Quote:
In others words Atlanta economy is more diverse than Boston. And LAMO while not ahead of boston in education, finance, and medical Atlanta is top 10 in all the these areas. On the flipside were is Boston in Logistics, Mass Media, Food industry, and etc? This is what he or she was saying. I would say Boston edge out Atlanta now but in 10 or 25 years I can't picture it.

And oh NY dominate finance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City