Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 09:19 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You just have a tendency to exaggerate the influence and importance of Atlanta. CNN and Coke??? (I know Atlanta is more than those 2, but you used them once as a example to show the important of ATL) Those are great, but the USA will not suddenly go into a state of depression or go mad if we lost them. On top of that; Atlanta's influence in the south is not comparable to NYC's influence.
OMG!!!Exaggerate?Like when please?And like YOU of all people with Houston!!You go on and on about the OIL,OIL,OIL.So Houston becames the most important city on the planet because of the OIL!!

No its not comparable to NYC in size and scope but in function it is.Atlanta has always influence the South and even more so the nation today.The fact that international travel is still way up for Atlanta and is way down in Houston,Dallas,Boston and Philly.I do believe based on my constant travels and the business i run out of my home which caters to many international students,that Atlanta is fastly becoming more well known every day.That is not an exaggeration.Here are some facts:

Atlanta(other than Miami) is the most travelled city in the South by international visitors.13th .Just barely after Philly,San Diego,Boston,Honolulu,D.C.,Vegas,San Fran,Orlando,L.A.,Miami, and NYC at #1.
Houston is just behind Atlanta.However Atlanta (with a +7% increase) has constantly seen the greatest increase out all the cities in the list.In fact with the exception of 5 cities,all of the cities had DECREASES in International Travel.Houston had an -11% Decrease,Dallas@-25% decrease.
http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreachpag...and_Cities.pdf

So no its not exaggeration at all.Its like DAMN!!!How much to you have to show people to at least say "ok well those are good points to support your argument.Yet you guys just ignore and act as though none of that has ANY bearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 09:34 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,078 times
I've always felt that Boston, San Francisco and Washington DC have been kin-like. They would be second tier cities after the top three-NY, LA, Chic.

-They have similar size-city propers and metropolitan areas
-Very stable economies-high tech, education, research, financial power houses [Boston is the 4th largest financial center in the US in the Zyen study], similar/large GMPs.
-Vast cultural importance-musuems, music, art, parks, architecture

Old 07-02-2010, 09:48 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
O
Atlanta(other than Miami) is the most travelled city in the South by international visitors.13th .Just barely after Philly,San Diego,Boston,Honolulu,D.C.,Vegas,San Fran,Orlando,L.A.,Miami, and NYC at #1.
Houston is just behind Atlanta.However Atlanta (with a +7% increase) has constantly seen the greatest increase out all the cities in the list.In fact with the exception of 5 cities,all of the cities had DECREASES in International Travel.Houston had an -11% Decrease,Dallas@-25% decrease.
I do hate it when Fort Worth and the western half of the Metroplex is left off from these studies.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I've always felt that Boston, San Francisco and Washington DC have been kin-like. They would be second tier cities after the top three-NY, LA, Chic.

-They have similar size-city propers and metropolitan areas
-Very stable economies-high tech, education, research, financial power houses [Boston is the 4th largest financial center in the US in the Zyen study], similar/large GMPs.
-Vast cultural importance-musuems, music, art, parks, architecture
Out of all those things you mentioned you could have easily added ATL.It has one of the highest educated populace,its economy is stable and diversified,it is also very strong in education ,research,and finance.Its only main week-ness is that its in the South as many (particular North-Easterners),have a disdain to see that "what was is not now what is".There is no way ATL,DAL,HOU,even Miami can be any less than Tier 2 cities like BOSTON,SAN FRAN,and D.C.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:31 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Out of all those things you mentioned you could have easily added ATL.It has one of the highest educated populace,its economy is stable and diversified,it is also very strong in education ,research,and finance.Its only main week-ness is that its in the South as many (particular North-Easterners),have a disdain to see that "what was is not now what is".There is no way ATL,DAL,HOU,even Miami can be any less than Tier 2 cities like BOSTON,SAN FRAN,and D.C.
There's a difference in scale and basic structure though. How well educated is the population of Atlanta compared to that of Greater Boston or the Bay Area? How wealthy is Atlanta compared to these two (per capita GMP, probably significantly lower). What industries does Atlanta take a firm lead in? I'm leaving out DC because it's a strange case.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:52 AM

Yes, scale. Boston, SF and DC are on a huge scale-economically, financially and culturally. Studies not even listed in this thead rank the supremacy of these cities- on a world scale.

http://www.mori-m-foundation.or.jp/e...09_English.pdf

http://217.154.230.218/NR/rdonlyres/...S_GFC7full.pdf

I don't doubt the importance of ATL [et al], [but hell, I don't drink coke, I don't watch CNN, and I'm pretty sure Delta is one of the worse airline companies in the country-but my opinions, so]. But those southern cities have a lot of catching up to do to have the established economies of B, SF, DC. I know you wrote about the importance of Jackson-Hartfield, but how many of those visitors are actually staying in Atlanta, and not transfering planes? I mean I doubt, 40,000,000 people are visiting the city every year.

I can say for example, Massachusetts has the second highest number of high tech jobs, the second highest number of green industries after the entire state of California. I think that says a lot. Back in the '80s. We went through a period called the "Massachusetts Miracle." When the state bascially reinvented it's economy. For instance, though recently the state has been hit by the recession-it started later than the south and west and we've been out of it for most of the year now.

So it has to do with scale. Those cities economies and therefore importance are virtually unshakable.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's a difference in scale and basic structure though. How well educated is the population of Atlanta compared to that of Greater Boston or the Bay Area? How wealthy is Atlanta compared to these two (per capita GMP, probably significantly lower). What industries does Atlanta take a firm lead in? I'm leaving out DC because it's a strange case.
I stated those very reason earlier.
Telecommunication,
Higher Education,
Non-Profits,
The poverty rates are not much different
Of course the incomes are higher
The wealth last I checked was very comparable minus the cost of living
Now im not saying that Atlanta surpasses those but it most certainly competes on all levels

Old 07-02-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, scale. Boston, SF and DC are on a huge scale-economically, financially and culturally. Studies not even listed in this thead rank the supremacy of these cities- on a world scale.

I don't doubt the importance of ATL [et al], [but hell, I don't drink coke, I don't watch CNN, and I'm pretty sure Delta is one of the worse airline companies in the country-but my opinions, so]. But those southern cities have a lot of catching up to do to have the established economies of B, SF, DC. I know you wrote about the importance of Jackson-Hartfield, but how many of those visitors are actually staying in Atlanta, and not transfering planes? I mean I doubt, 40,000,000 people are visiting the city every year.

I can say for example, Massachusetts has the second highest number of high tech jobs, the second highest number of green industries after the entire state of California. I think that says a lot. Back in the '80s. We went through a period called the "Massachusetts Miracle." When the state bascially reinvented it's economy. For instance, though recently the state has been hit by the recession-it started later than the south and west and we've been out of it for most of the year now.

So it has to do with scale. Those cities economies and therefore importance are virtually unshakable.
Actually they are visiting Atlanta.That number had NOTHING to do with the airport.As you see in the numbers I also gave in regards to international travel to Atlanta:

I mean you guys say scale but scale is why New York is NYC.It does everything well.Many cities do a lot of things well also.Leading in just a couple of fields can cause a city serious decline.Leading by just being number 1. also means you can be a leader by number 3 to 10 and still be as important especially if you are a leadein the top 3 to 10 in multiple fields.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Aslo I might add that how do you make an assumption about something you have never experienced?That is very narrowminded.
Also you may not drink COKE,but im sure you have had some Coca cola product.
Perhaps even visited a Home Depot?Wendy's,Arby's?
What about being advised on an outbreak of flu issued by the CDC?
Maybe you do or don't have AT&T Wireless but if you do....
No CNN?What about the Weather Channel?TNT?Cartoon Network?

Old 07-02-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Aslo I might add that how do you make an assumption about something you have never experienced?That is very narrowminded.
Also you may not drink COKE,but im sure you have had some Coca cola product.
Perhaps even visited a Home Depot?Wendy's,Arby's?
What about being advised on an outbreak of flu issued by the CDC?
Maybe you do or don't have AT&T Wireless but if you do....
No CNN?What about the Weather Channel?TNT?Cartoon Network?
Those are the companies you seriously choose to reference on Atlanta's supremacy? Really, Home Depot and Wendy's? The CDC? I'll counter that with Harvard and MIT and about 500 other medical research companies located within 25 miles of the state house.

You have Wendy's, we have Friendly's...so? I like both, doesn't mean my economy is based on where I buy a hamburger. In N'Out burger is better-so kudos to San Fran, they win there.

I mean those things aren't that important on a national level. They just aren't. There's no saying that goes, "As, goes CNN, so goes the nation."

Boston is a center of finance-in fact one of the largest in the nation and world. Fidelity Group, State Street, John Hancock Co, Lincoln Mutual, Bain Capital, Sovereign Bank, Liberty Mutual- are literally the largest financial groups in the nation, all headquarted in Boston. Responsible for trillions of dollars of market managed capital, and billions of transactions every year. Only NYC and London are larger using these terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City