Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 01:27 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Chicago isnt really a niche city. Niether are Dallas or Atlanta. Houston, Detroit, LA, Orlando, Boston, and Las Vegas are niche cities. Those cities may or may not have a diverse economy, but one industry reigns supreme.

There is more obvious economic diversity in Chicago, Atlanta, DFW, and places like Philly.
I'm still wondering why people are so convinced that Boston is a "niche" city. What is it that Boston is reliant on that would warrant it being a "niche" city?

It is a major player in education, government, high technology, biotechnology, nanotechnology, management consulting, and financial services like mutual funds, hedge funds, and asset management. I'm still not finding that one "niche" industry that Boston seems to be geared towards.

Can anyone elaborate as to why Boston has a niche economy in their opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 04:09 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
I started typing up the post- and it's going to take a few more hours... been 2.5 hours of typing it already... I'm going to sleep, so I'll get back to you on it tomorrow when I can fully complete it.
Probably my longest post ever.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Would you really call Houston a niche city now as well? I know Oil/Energy is the largest industry in Houston. But it does not dominate anymore. Especially when you have the TMC supposedly passing the office space of downtown Dallas. Especially when you have a fast growing Information Technology and Nanotechnology industry.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 AM

259 posts, read 543,127 times
um...lets please be serious...Chicago is the major transportation hub of the U.S. and thats pretty much it...Its a known proven fact...moving on

Old 07-04-2010, 12:38 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
I know I shall get clowned for this, especially by my good fried tmac, but to me, I see Atlanta and Boston as peer cities. Boston as hub of New England and Atlanta the Southeast. However, I concede that Boston's higher ed, high tech, and financial services industries are superior. Howver, if I'm not mistaken, aren't they both rated similar in these rankings?

Old 07-04-2010, 09:42 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Bay Area is the epicentre of Tech. New York City is the epicentre of finance. Boston is the epicentre of education and research. Houston is the epicentre of energy. Chicago is the epicentre of transportation.

I must ask though, what is the sector where Atlanta shines above the others? I am asking because I simply do not know.
Hip hop, a valuable airport, Whitney Houston, Ted Turner, the Weather Channel, "Designing Women," and several banks owned by people up the road in Charlotte.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:51 PM

468 posts, read 789,900 times
Is there anyway to contact these organizations?? After reading thru these forums it seems everyone has a problem with Atlanta being ranked so High.. I would love to find out there thoughts as to why Atlanta is ranked so high..

Old 07-05-2010, 12:14 AM

259 posts, read 543,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Hip hop, a valuable airport, Whitney Houston, Ted Turner, the Weather Channel, "Designing Women," and several banks owned by people up the road in Charlotte.
I wouldn't exactly call whats coming out of that city hip hop...and its kind of iffy to really rely on music..because in the early to mid 90s who in their right minds would have thought that the limelight in rap(not hip hop) would switch from NYC/West Coast to ATL...This music stuff switches every 15-20 years at the very most lol...Chicago was the epicenter for jazz in the 20s and 30s but is it right now?...so lets pick another one...and as far as a busy airport is concerned thats a good selling point but you have to be solid and outshine others in a particular area and ATL doesn't do that...sorry Houston does though..but as far as Atl is concerned for me its more hype than it is substance

Old 07-05-2010, 01:42 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
um...lets please be serious...Chicago is the major transportation hub of the U.S. and thats pretty much it...Its a known proven fact...moving on
Umm NO.

It has been proven that Chicago is largest of the transportation hubs in the US but transportation hubs are regional, so to answer you no. This is logistics and the US is a large country. Unless a city has annex land across the country to be everything to every region, a city can't niche logistics.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:58 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Is there anyway to contact these organizations?? After reading thru these forums it seems everyone has a problem with Atlanta being ranked so High.. I would love to find out there thoughts as to why Atlanta is ranked so high..
It’s not the organizations I would understand if it was one organization but it’s several, common man. As for the posters 1. People on these forums have a bias against southern cities. 2. Also there have always been this annoying Atlanta vs. Houston thing on these threads which isn’t new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City