Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 07:35 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
It was multiple rankings, the ones Houston and Dallas were in they still were ranked behind and also it's only 1 ranking that Dallas and Houston were missing from, not two. "Dallas wasn't in the the 2007 MASTERCARD RANKS U.S. CITIES but was in the 2008. I'm no longer arguing is Atlanta more important or not, I don’t care and the argument some times gets annoying. It just… well i mean your free to criticize the list but the way your criticizing it. If a car has a scratch it still can drive. Dallas and Houston were behind in most of the rankings to the point that it really wouldn’t help much. if Dallas and Houston were number 1 and 2 in the ranking that they were missing from. Same story with Philly.
As some colleagues said, I will not say that Houston and Dallas would be ranked higher, but pointing out that them being off the list makes it hard to look at the overall score. Which by the way folks, is just the authors opinion. I don't think he should be faulted for trying to consolidate a unified ranking of the global cities in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 07:53 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
As some colleagues said, I will not say that Houston and Dallas would be ranked higher, but pointing out that them being off the list makes it hard to look at the overall score. Which by the way folks, is just the authors opinion. I don't think he should be faulted for trying to consolidate a unified ranking of the global cities in the US.
In one study, Denver was included but Dallas, Philly, and Houston neglected. I cannot take that seriously at all.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:55 AM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
For the 1000th time, Atlanta is king of the Southeast which is a region that excludes Texas.
Yes I already know that. But when talking in terms of the entire South as a region, it becomes a different story. That's the vibe I'm getting from some of the posts in the past few pages of this thread.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes I already know that. But when talking in terms of the entire South as a region, it becomes a different story. That's the vibe I'm getting from some of the posts in the past few pages of this thread.
Well, to be frank, Ive never thought of the majority of the geographic region of Texas as Southern, just the eastern part. Atlanta and Georgia are a completely different kind of Southern than Texas.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If Atlanta is the capital of the South as many of you think it is. Than Texas is indeed not in the South. Atlanta has no bearing West of the Sabine river.
So who is the capitiol of the West?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So who is the capitiol of the West?
Depends on what you call the West. Different people have different definitions.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I think what it is, is that even according to the data listed, Atlanta is not that far ahead of Miami. Atlanta is king of the Southeast, there is no argument. However, you do come off as condescending to the other Southern Big Shots that also contribute significantly. And you know, as well as I do, some of those rankings should be called into questioning for leaving out DFW and Houston. I accept them, but with reservations cuz that sounds kind of odd to me.
Why do I come off as condescending when MANY on here are doing nothing but trying to discredit anything with Atlanta?If you look at all my post you can clearly see a pattern of those people who make very erroneous statements without a shred of reason to support and opinion or a fact.Yet because I do,I'm condescending?Lol!!Truth is I would love for someone to find ANY post where I said Houston,Dallas,Miami or ANY city was bad without at least quoting or supporting my thoughts with a study or report of some sort?I DON"T!!!Yet people hate it when I defend and SUPPORT Atlanta!.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Why do I come off as condescending when MANY on here are doing nothing but trying to discredit anything with Atlanta?If you look at all my post you can clearly see a pattern of those people who make very erroneous statements without a shred of reason to support and opinion or a fact.Yet because I do,I'm condescending?Lol!!Truth is I would love for someone to find ANY post where I said Houston,Dallas,Miami or ANY city was bad without at least quoting or supporting my thoughts with a study or report of some sort?I DON"T!!!Yet people hate it when I defend and SUPPORT Atlanta!.
You just have a tendency to exaggerate the influence and importance of Atlanta. CNN and Coke??? (I know Atlanta is more than those 2, but you used them once as a example to show the important of ATL) Those are great, but the USA will not suddenly go into a state of depression or go mad if we lost them. On top of that; Atlanta's influence in the south is not comparable to NYC's influence.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Look again. You will notice that Dallas, Houston, and Philly are missing from two rankings, not one. Those are three of the most important business centers in the country. For them not to be ranked, I cannot accept the final weighted score. I can only go by rankings that include all the major centers. If Atlanta is ranked higher on a study that includes all, so be it, but the weighted score of all the studies is s**t.

Yes but look at the 5 out of 7 rankings that all cities are rank as.If you take out the scores that do not rank them all,Atlanta still comes out ahead.Atlanta except one,comes out on top.Also all those studies put more emphasis on different things than each other.Its not all about just business.

Generally speaking the GaWc is the most commonly referred to.Its used in many publications world wide

Old 07-02-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Depends on what you call the West. Different people have different definitions.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City