Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 05:20 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
After Cali, Fla, TX, and NY. Georgia can go toe to toe with any state in the united states. Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah, Macon, Columbus, Athens, Valdosta, and Brunswick..
This has got to be a joke.

Augusta: Outside of being home of James Brown and the Masters, no one cares

Savannah: A bit of a reach, but it is a notable tourist town with a port

Athens: College town and home of REM. If people aren't fans of the Bulldogs, no one cares

Macon/Columbus: Too close to Atlanta for anyone to really care about them but the people from there.

Valdosta: A pit stop for people on their way to Florida.

Brunswick: Who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
You left the capital of GA out Atlanta....

Besides Cali, Fla, TX, and NY, please give the name of states who are better?

It's certainly not Virginia or Maryland.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:29 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,322,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Would you say that Rochester, MN (110,000).. Duluth, MN (90,000).... Mankato, MN (60,000)... and St. Cloud, MN (70,000) are nationally known?
Maybe Rochester because of IBM and the Mayo Clinic, but thats about all people know of the city (other than the fact that it copied Rochester, NY's name )

I've also heard of Duluth and St. Cloud but couldn't tell you a thing of them.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:34 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,854 times
Quote:
After Cali, Fla, TX, and NY. Georgia can go toe to toe with any state in the united states. Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah, Macon, Columbus, Athens, Valdosta, and Brunswick..
As someone who resides in GA I have to disagree and say, no, it can't.

I had never even heard of Augusta, Columbus, Athens, and especially Valdosta and Brunswick until I moved to GA (and even IN Georgia, I hear nothing of Valdosta and Brunswick ever). Of course, keep in mind that this was before I was into the whole urban thing and getting on city data and whatnot. It could go toe to toe with Illinois and Washington (state) maybe.

Quote:

Tennessee, North Carolina, Ohio, etc

Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
How many people are familar with cities in NC other than Charlotte and Raleigh. Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham, and Asheville aren't well knowed.

TN besides Memphis and Nashville? Chattanooga & Knoxville aren't well knowed across the country either. And what other cities do people know about in TN? I would put Ohio ahead of GA.

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-22-2010 at 05:50 PM..

Old 06-22-2010, 06:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Yeah. My favorite band in the world is The Starting Line. They would always play shows in Allentown, PA. I always read that on their website and said to myself "WTF is Allentown?" is it a Philly suburb? Pittsburgh suburb?

And I graduated with a major in Urban Planning and another major in Geography and still hadn't known where in PA it was and if I heard just Allentown, I wouldn't have a clue.

Some of these people need to step out of their environment. From the Midwest, I don't think many people know where Bridgeport, Wilmington, Springfield or Cambridge are... Keep in mind that it's very plausible that the majority of people in this country are ignorant and just plain stupid because it boggles my mind how people couldnt know about them

In most areas it would be, it's about an hour from Philly but a whole other metro, a little less than a million people

Old 06-22-2010, 06:42 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
Quote:
How many people are familar with cities in NC other than Charlotte and Raleigh. Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham, and Asheville aren't well knowed.

TN besides Memphis and Nashville? Chattanooga & Knoxville aren't well knowed across the country either. And what other cities do people know about in TN? I would put Ohio ahead of GA.
Funny story about Chattanooga, I called my cousin and he was on his way back from Florida in his car and I asked "Well, which state are you in?" and he replied with "Not sure, but I just left a City called Chatternooga"

So, yeah you're probably right

Old 06-22-2010, 08:16 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Yeah. My favorite band in the world is The Starting Line. They would always play shows in Allentown, PA. I always read that on their website and said to myself "WTF is Allentown?" is it a Philly suburb? Pittsburgh suburb?

And I graduated with a major in Urban Planning and another major in Geography and still hadn't known where in PA it was and if I heard just Allentown, I wouldn't have a clue.

Some of these people need to step out of their environment. From the Midwest, I don't think many people know where Bridgeport, Wilmington, Springfield or Cambridge are... Keep in mind that it's very plausible that the majority of people in this country are ignorant and just plain stupid because it boggles my mind how people couldnt know about them
Yeah, I know of a lot of smaller cities, most I know exactly where they are but I have at least a clue of the others.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:41 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:

Yes, but you're mentioning states that have two well-known famous cities rather than one (Atlanta is by far the most prominent city in Georgia while the others are far less so).

Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,988 times
Quote:

Ohio has Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Toledo, Akron, Youngstown, Dayton.

Michigan has Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Holland, Traverse City, Detroit, Lansing, Battle Creek, Jackson, Flint, Ann Arbor, Sault Ste. Marie, Pontiac, Cadillac.

Minnesota has Minneapolis, St. Paul, Bloomington, Duluth, Rochester, Mankato.

Wisconsin has Milwaukee, Madison, Superior, La Crosse, every other UW college town.

Illinois, a VERY obvious one. Chicago, Rockford, Quad Cities, Springfield, Peoria, Bloomington, Normal, Jacksonville, St. Louis metro suburbs, Champaign, Urbana, I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out.

Kentucky: Lexington, Louisville, Covington/Newport (Cincinnati), Bowling Green, Paducah

We're more than empty space up here, guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City