Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
There are 1000's of threads on CD, many with different subjects. If a thread is limited in it's scope it will die out. What some were doing was throwing their state out there even though it did not meet the criteria of what the OP was looking for just because they could not stand to see their state excluded from a thread I guess.

I never said a city needed to have 500,000 people to be significant but chances are a city with a population of 25,000 is not going to be known nationally over a city with 500,000.

And I really love these arbitrary points of knowledge people are throwing out to determine if people are intelligent. So I am not intelligent if I don't know all the state capitals or 5 cities in every state? There are some people that can recite the encyclopedia from memory but couldn't tell you what 2+2 equals, are they intelligent?

I guess I will just have to take being successful in life over knowing all the state capitals. I can't remember one time someone came up to me and said they were going to place an order with me if I could tell them the capital of Minnesota.
Nice assumptions buddy, but all I said was that EVERYBODY should know all 50 states, their capitals and be able to name a few cities in every state.

That's not that hard.

It's general knowledge. No where did I say should it be used as a measuring stick to determine one's intelligence. Do you think since everybody should know their A-B-C's that it means they are smart and intelligent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Nice assumptions buddy, but all I said was that EVERYBODY should know all 50 states, their capitals and be able to name a few cities in every state.

That's not that hard.

It's general knowledge. No where did I say should it be used as a measuring stick to determine one's intelligence. Do you think since everybody should know their A-B-C's that it means they are smart and intelligent?
Actually you said exactly that.

Quote:
I think everybody should know every state and their capitals, and be able to list about 5 cities in every state. If you can't, then you're probably not too intelligent of a person.
I don't know all the state capitals and it in no way means I am unintelligent as you have said. What it means is I devote my brain power to more important issues than rote memorization.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Actually you said exactly that.

I don't know all the state capitals and it in no way means I am unintelligent as you have said. What it means is I devote my brain power to more important issues than rote memorization.
That's too bad. I bet you have all the in's and out's of your Iphone memorized. Sure, I'll keep believing that your 'intelligence' level is higher than mine.

Plus, I'm talking in terms of Cities, states and the information regarding those states. I know that C-D now has threads for almost everything, but this website and forum started as a way to research cities and states and to discuss them. So, in a C-D forum, one should have a general understanding of all 50 states, their capitals and a few of the major cities in that state , that's all I'm getting at man. Stop splitting hairs and stick to the topic.

Oh, PA? Boom- Harrisburg, Capital. Cities? Philly, Pitts, Harrisburg, Reading, Scranton.

Oh, really? Nevada? Boom - Carson City, Capital. Cities? LV, Reno, Laughlin, Carson City, Henderson.

Oh, man, let's do a tough state. How about Vermont? Montpelier, Capital. Cities? Burlington, Rutland, Newport.. shoot. I'm actually stumped. I guess I'm a complete idiot.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
That's too bad. I bet you have all the in's and out's of your Iphone memorized. Sure, I'll keep believing that your 'intelligence' level is higher than mine.

Plus, I'm talking in terms of Cities, states and the information regarding those states. I know that C-D now has threads for almost everything, but this website and forum started as a way to research cities and states and to discuss them. So, in a C-D forum, one should have a general understanding of all 50 states, their capitals and a few of the major cities in that state , that's all I'm getting at man. Stop splitting hairs and stick to the topic.

Oh, PA? Boom- Harrisburg, Capital. Cities? Philly, Pitts, Harrisburg, Reading, Scranton.

Oh, really? Nevada? Boom - Carson City, Capital. Cities? LV, Reno, Laughlin, Carson City, Henderson.

Oh, man, let's do a tough state. How about Vermont? Montpelier, Capital. Cities? Burlington, Rutland, Newport.. shoot. I'm actually stumped. I guess I'm a complete idiot.
Well I guess you have it all figured out. People that know the most state capitals and other cities must be the smartest people around. You keep thinking that if it makes you feel good about yourself.

Quote:
I'm actually stumped. I guess I'm a complete idiot.
You'll get no argument from me.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
You understand that this is CITY DATA right?
A website designed for comparing and discussing the facts of cities and states?

So, yea bro, if I'm going to go onto a Rocket Science Forum on a website dedicated to Rocket Science, I should understand that I should probably know a little about the science of rockets.
UMMM, you understand that you said that anyone who hasn't dedicated their memories to trivia is not intelligent, right?? Congrats on figuring out what website you've landed on. Bravo, BRO, bravo.

Did any of us say we probably don't know even a little about any cities mentioned in this site?

You're advocating that everyone be more familiar with states they may never even go to, know anyone from, have any interest in, or have heard about since grade school than the average person is, and if they fail to do so they are unintelligent in your eyes. Judging by your level of deduction and reasoning, I'd say its you who is hurting in that department and not the next guy who may have dedicated his/her mind to more than geographical trivia.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
You'll get no argument from me.
Nor I.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Well, I agree people should know all the states and the capitals, along with a few cities in said states. That is much different though than knowing what goes on in those cities. I have no idea what goes on in Boise or Sioux Falls, nor would I want to. Where as other cities I can take it down to the neighborhood and even block to block knowledge...

Old 06-28-2010, 04:17 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
It would be nice if the people who regularly post on the general and city vs city forums at least have a general knowledge of the various states and cities across the country. I think most of us interested in geography, history, sports, climate, cities etc. should be able to name at least a few cities or towns in MOST states.

If not, they should stick to their state forums or at least to threads where they have a clue.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
It would be nice if the people who regularly post on the general and city vs city forums at least have a general knowledge of the various states and cities across the country. I think most of us interested in geography, history, sports, climate, cities etc. should be able to name at least a few cities or towns in MOST states.

If not, they should stick to their state forums or at least to threads where they have a clue.
You get it.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

The part in bold is the key though. The OP was not asking those with a vast geographic knowledge to name 3 cities within a state that are culturally different, it asked for 3 cities that were known nationwide in a state.

I have seen Stevens Point and Binghamton among others mentioned in this thread that do not remotely fit the criteria set forth by the OP.

Guess the people that brought up those cities should stay out of these threads also since they couldn't comprehend the original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City