Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the 'New' States is the best?
New Hampshire 14 11.76%
New Jersey 25 21.01%
New Mexico 34 28.57%
New York 46 38.66%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Yep twice the space and all them nice Illegal immigrants to keep you company.

Your tax dollars pay for their welfare and foodstamps too. So yea....

Anyway, They really made fun of jersey on the last comic standing show tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
Lived in New Mexico, found it to be kind of gnarly. Would never, ever live there again. Don't even really care to go back for a visit. Deserts are overrated.
Take away New York City, and I like New York state a whole lot better.
Never been to New Jersey. Has bad reputation that I hear is somewhat undeserved (mostly).
New Hampshire is pretty neat. I like northern New England in general. It's the only one of these four that I would consider moving to, and it's easily the most likely one I'd visit again. As for New Jersey, I may never get around to visiting, but I might think about it.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:01 PM

Wow, deserts are overrated now? ... sure.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Wow, deserts are overrated now? ... sure.
In my opinion, yes. Seems like a lot of people want to live in one, then they move out there and plant a bunch of grass and trees in their yards.
Or it could be that I'm just be grumpy tonight.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:22 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
You people need to understand that trying to compare the states and saying that one is better than the other is ridiculous because it's all based on opinion.

I'm surprised to see NM get almost as many votes as NY.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 PM

845 posts, read 2,830,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
For some strange reason, "illegals" live in Arizona and Texas but even though they're from Mexico (and this is an assumption I'm making) they don't really come to NEW Mexico.

The New York Times online, last month, had an article explaining how New Mexico is MUCH more accepting and welcoming of Mexicans than Arizona is, and not as paranoid of immigration. People with Hispanic names actually form a slight majority of New Mexico's population, but many of them have ancestry there going back to pre-statehood, so they are fully respected and integrated into the highest levels of society and politics, and you do not find in New Mexico the sharp dichotomy of Anglos versus illegals, that you find in Arizona.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:31 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
New York......

Old 06-28-2010, 09:34 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,169,984 times
It's time for some New Hampshire love in this thread!

Just a few things to love about NH: one of the healthiest and most well-educated populations. One of the safest states in the nation. One of the lowest tax burdens (no state income tax or sales tax). The second most heavily forested state. Four dramatically diverse and beautiful seasons (including some of the best autumn foliage anywhere in the world). History in every stone wall and town green. Charming old world villages and small, walkable cities. Organic street layouts and scenic winding roads. The most prominent mountains east of the Rockies. A high concentration of crystal-clear lakes and rivers. An hour drive between the ocean and the mountains. Snow on the beach in winter. Easy access to Boston and Montreal.

And some photos:

Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
It's time for some New Hampshire love in this thread!

Just a few things to love about NH: one of the healthiest and most well-educated populations. One of the safest states in the nation. One of the lowest tax burdens (no state income tax or sales tax). The second most heavily forested state. Four dramatically diverse and beautiful seasons (including some of the best autumn foliage anywhere in the world). History in every stone wall and town green. Charming old world villages and small, walkable cities. Organic street layouts and scenic winding roads. The most prominent mountains east of the Rockies. A high concentration of crystal-clear lakes and rivers. An hour drive between the ocean and the mountains. Snow on the beach in winter. Easy access to Boston and Montreal.

And some photos:

I was waiting for someone to display New Hampshire- What a beautiful state!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
In my opinion, yes. Seems like a lot of people want to live in one, then they move out there and plant a bunch of grass and trees in their yards.
Or it could be that I'm just be grumpy tonight.

You know what. You are right! Haha stupid Phoenix and Las Vegas.

In Albuquerque there is nothing but Xeriscaping.. but tree's are planted. Just not grass...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City