Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Houston 41 34.75%
Atlanta 5 4.24%
Boston 3 2.54%
Chicago 12 10.17%
San Francisco 5 4.24%
Phoenix 24 20.34%
Dallas 5 4.24%
Austin 6 5.08%
Detroit 11 9.32%
Philadelphia 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Atlanta and Houston come to mind
Hardly. Atlanta has a lot of films made about it and a lot filmed here. Houston has at least a lot of references made to it.

As for the rest of the list, all of those cities receive good representation in film and tv except for Phoenix. I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 03:08 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Nashville... that's one of my favorite films from the 70's, actually.
That's a good choice. I thought that movie from the seventies might keep it from being mentioned, also some movies about country singers, but from what I can tell Nashville is rarer in films than I would expect. I mean considering it has a good amount of musicians and culture. (They're starting to get more non-country music too. Although some of "The White Stripes" is all I recall)

Old 06-23-2010, 04:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Hardly. Atlanta has a lot of films made about it and a lot filmed here. Houston has at least a lot of references made to it.
like.. ?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:30 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
like.. ?
The Blind Side was meant to take place in Memphis but it was filmed in some portions of Atlanta. That's a recent film I can think of.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The Blind Side was meant to take place in Memphis but it was filmed in some portions of Atlanta. That's a recent film I can think of.

maybe i'm interpreting this differently

but i'm not talking about "filmed a few scenes in.."

i'm talking about movies where the city plays a dominant role in both the story and the filming. i do not remember any crime dramas with the Atlanta or Houston PD, for example, or action movies that take place primarily in these cities, or romantic comedies, or dramas, or anything at all. i do not remember these two locations depicted in depth in any way, like I can with Miami, New York, LA, Chicago, SF, or even New Orleans, Baltimore, or Seattle.

people don't depict the "modern urban deep south" too much in today's media. that show about New Orleans is the only thing that comes to my mind immediately.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times
Quote:
maybe i'm interpreting this differently

but i'm not talking about "filmed a few scenes in.."

i'm talking about movies where the city plays a dominant role in both the story and the filming. I do not remember any crime dramas with the atlanta or houston pd, for example, or action movies that take place primarily in these cities, or romantic comedies, or dramas, or anything at all. I do not remember these two locations depicted in depth in any way, like i can with miami, new york, la, chicago, sf, or even new orleans, baltimore, or seattle.

People don't depict the "modern urban deep south" too much in today's media. That show about new orleans is the only thing that comes to my mind immediately.
+1

Old 06-23-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
like.. ?
All of the blind side was filmed here, the story just took place in Memphis. I had a hard time keeping quiet in the theatre when they tried to do that...whilst having my condo in one shot and the MARTA elevated subway line in another, plus pretty much everything else.

Recently Zombieland, Remember the Titans, and the upcoming Killers were filmed here.

Also, Drop Dead Diva and the Vampire Diaries are filmed here. Not to mention about a dozen or so reality shows and award shows.

IMDB shows about 999 films and tv shows filmed here

IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Atlanta Georgia USA"

But as far as movies set here:

Pretty much every Tyler Perry movie

ATL

Stomp the Yard 1 and 2

The next Fast and Furious

One Missed Call

Chris Rock's Good Hair

Drumline

Beauty Shop

Profiler (TV)

Trois

Old school:

Matlock (TV)

Designing Women (TV)

Smokey and the Bandit

Deliverance

Sharky's Machine

Invasion USA (my favorite Chuck Norris movie BY FAR)

Gone with the Wind (Highest grossing film of all time)

So, Atlanta does get a lot of notice. I just think that there may not be recognition of that due to the niche market it currently fills, and what some people may not consider "A list" for the most part. They're still hits though.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:39 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
I voted for Phoenix, but then I realized I should have probably voted for Houston...I can't think of a film or TV show set in Houston, except for the old John Travolta mechanical bull country-western flick, "Urban Cowboy." (And of course all the films involving the NASA space center too)

Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
All of the blind side was filmed here, the story just took place in Memphis.
which makes it irrelevant, since it isn't a story about Atlanta, filmed in Atlanta.

Quote:
Recently Zombieland, Remember the Titans, and the upcoming Killers were filmed here.
Zombieland took place 'on the road', so it doesn't count. They did not spend the entire movie in Atlanta.

Remember the Titans took place in rural Virginia, so obviously that one isn't even close to being a movie that depicts Atlanta or Houston.

Deliverance took place on the Chatooga River, not Atlanta.

Smokey and the Bandit took place on the road between Texarkana and Atlanta, in the rural south, not in Atlanta.

i don't understand why this is so complicated.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
which makes it irrelevant, since it isn't a story about Atlanta, filmed in Atlanta.

Zombieland took place 'on the road', so it doesn't count. They did not spend the entire movie in Atlanta.
Didn't say they did. It was filmed here though...even if the story said it was somewhere else.

Quote:
Remember the Titans took place in rural Virginia, so obviously that one isn't even close to being a movie that depicts Atlanta or Houston.
Like I said, it was filmed here, not about here.

[quote=le roi;14741875]Deliverance took place on the Chatooga River, not Atlanta.[quote=le roi;14741875]

...about 4 Atlanta businessmen on a trip.

Quote:
Smokey and the Bandit took place on the road between Texarkana and Atlanta, in the rural south, not in Atlanta.
True, but again, the whole movie was filmed in Atlanta even if it said it was elsewhere.

Quote:
i don't understand why this is so complicated.
I'm not sure what the point of your posts are? First you ignored all the movies and tv shows I did specifiy were made and about Atlanta by picking ones I didn't say were all about Atlanta...just filmed here. Atlanta is definitley Hollywood when it comes to film making and story lines, and there should be more movies and tv shows with stories about day to day life in Atlanta, but it hardly ignored. Atlanta gets plenty of media exposure where fictional or real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City