Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is #1?
Philadelphia 146 58.17%
Pittsburgh 105 41.83%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 02:23 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesting View Post
Just for fun.
Pennsylvania's 2 biggest cities: The city of brotherly love and the city of steel! Which one do you think is better?
Which city wins in each category?:
My two favorite cities.

Location - Philadelphia (Closer to other big cities and the beach, although Pittsburgh is no slouch either)

Geography - Pittsburgh (Philly seems flat to me, then again everywhere I go seem flat. Pittsburgh's topography is very unique)

Size - Neither (Due to being extremely subjective. Philly is for BIG city life, Pittsburgh is for Big city life; I could be happy in either, but prefer Pittsburgh)

Lifestyle - Pittsburgh (Again subjective, but I prefer the climate in Pittsburgh [colder, snowier] and access to mountains for skiing is important for me)

Safety - Pittsburgh (Philadelphia isn't the crime ridden hell hole people make it out to be or it once was, but still isn't as safe as Pittsburgh)

Less Crime - Pittsburgh (see above)

Walkibility - Philadelphia (Neither is a slouch, but Philadelphia is flatter and more grid like making for easier commutes via walking)

Skyline - Wow, such a subjective thread. Pittsburgh's is more unique and in a better natural setting, Philadelphia has more larger buildings.

Downtown - Philadelphia (Pittsburgh's is rapidly improving, but CC is already threre)

Architecture - Tie (Both are top notch in this regard)

Food/Restaurants - Philadelphia (Pittsburgh's foodie scene is quickly catching up, but Philadelphia is top notch here)

Education - Tie. (Whoever keeps implying Philadelphia is better here needs to be realistic here they are VERY comparable)

- Penn (Phila) #9
- CMU (Pitt) #23
- Pitt (Pitt) #62
- Drexel (Phila) #101
- Duquesne (Pitt) #115
- Temple (Phila) #116

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges | page 10

Philadelphia has Penn, but Pittsburgh has 2 colleges in the top 100, and both have 3 in the top 150.)

Museums/Art/Festivals - Philadelphia (Just due to sheer volume. Both are highly regarded)

Tourist attractions/landmarks - Philadelphia

Generally nicer/friendlier people - Pittsburgh No contest.

Parks - Tie.

Diversity (people) - Philadelphia. (Pittsburgh's Achilles heel)

Diversity (neighborhoods) - Pittsburgh. (90 neighborhoods, and 130 sub neighborhoods, ranging from Appalachian backwoods [HAYS] to concrete jungle [OAKLAND] to South Philly [EAST ALLEGHENY] and everything in between)

Weather - Pittsburgh No contest. I hate heat.

Jobs/Economy - Pittsburgh (Both are doing "Okay" but terms of job growth, Pittsburgh is leading)

Things to do - Philadelphia

Better Reputation - Pittsburgh (Philadelphia still has a very negative tone about it, that's undeserved)

Sports - Pittsburgh No contest. The only city that can touch Pittsburgh in terms of successful sports is Boston.

Weather - Is on here twice.

Shopping - Philadelphia No contest.

Transportation - Philadelphia (SEPTA is much better than PAT, because SEPTA is a top 5 transit system. PAT is very good for its size, still top 10 for the country)

Vibrance/Nightlife Isn't a word. But TIE. (Philadelphia's downtown is far more vibrant, but Pittsburgh has MANY nodes of nightlife and vibrancy that isn't matched throughout the city in Philadelphia)

Cost of living - Pittsburgh No contest.

Pittsburgh - 11
Philadelphia - 11

Hmmm, wonder why they're my two favorite cities

Old 10-29-2015, 02:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is true. My point was that there are more native Midwesterners living in the Pittsburgh metro than there are Northeasterners from states other than PA. That's only natural since Pittsburgh is 60 miles closer to Detroit than it is to Philly.
I don't know where you got your numbers. Here's a graphic from 2014 for the entire state: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...l#Pennsylvania

Since you are referring to the Pittsburgh MSA, I'd wager a bet that most of the mid-westerners are from eastern Ohio, and most of the southerners from northern and NW West Virginia. Detroit is farther away, mentally, than Baltimore/DC. Chicago and even Cincinnati are in a different country. Pittsburgh beams east to southeast, not midwest.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:28 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
This is true. My point was that there are more native Midwesterners living in the Pittsburgh metro than there are Northeasterners from states other than PA. That's only natural since Pittsburgh is 60 miles closer to Detroit than it is to Philly.
You're WRONG!

Again, Pittsburgh far and way Trades more Population with the Northeast than it does any Midwest City, even Ohio ... mean more people move to and from Pittsburgh to/from other Northeast Cities. Midwest cities have almost no relation with Pittsburgh.

Washington DC
Philadelphia
New York City

These are the 3 biggest cities that Pittsburgh trades population with, same order both inbound and outbound.

Cleveland is the closest Midwest city and its comes in like number 6.

Quote:
I've never understood the Philly hate. I've run into a lot of people from Pennsylvania who have a strong disdain for it.

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/0...twrwp1DRQcc.99
OMG, Thank you .... These Philly Booster really live in a land of Make-believe. They have the sense of a Wall, called NOT Northeast, and Pittsburgh is on the other side.... Any sane, non-Booster that has been to both Pittsburgh and Philly, know they have more similarities in their structures and personalities than they do differences.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Definitely no rivalry. To be honest, I feel that the two cities are so far apart that they hardly think about each other. I would imagine that there's more of a rivalry between
Cleveland and Pittsburgh than there is between Philly and Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh and Cleveland? There isn't a competition, you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:
Place of Birth for Pittsburgh, PA MSA

South - 120,351
Midwest - 103,975
Northeast (outside PA) - 73,315
Source?

I would like to point out the fact that West Virginia (which is a southern state according to the census) is 50 miles from Pittsburgh and Ohio is 56 miles (a midwestern state) from Pittsburgh. A state by state comparison would be better.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:34 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
It's not that close. Philly and Pittsburgh are on different levels in terms of cities. It's like comparing Atlanta to Savannah in the state of Georgia. They're just on different tiers. The gap widens even further when you include the surrounding suburbs of each city. Pittsburgh can't compete with that.

Geography: Philly
Size: Philly
Lifestyle: Philly
Safety: Pittsburgh
Less Crime: Pittsburgh
Walkibility: Philly
Skyline: Pittsburgh
Downtown: Philly
Architecture: Philly
Food: Philly
Restaurants: Philly
Education: Philly
Museums/Art: Philly
Festivals: Philly
Tourist attractions/landmarks: Philly
Nightlife: Philly
Generally nicer/friendlier people: Pittsburgh
Parks: Philly
Diversity (people): Philly
Diversity (neighborhoods): Philly
Weather: Philly
Jobs/Economy: Philly
Things to do: Philly
Better Reputation: Pittsburgh
Sports: Edge to Philly(more diehard and loyal fans)
Shopping: Philly
Transportation: Philly
Vibrance: Philly
Cost of living: Philly (more bang for your buck)
Proximity to other places: Philly
Suburbs: Philly

Old 10-29-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
That's not boosting. He has an opinion but his opinion is predicated on facts.
This is what you call, NOT BEING A BOOSTER! , opinion predicated facts, Study it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
My two favorite cities.

Location - Philadelphia (Closer to other big cities and the beach, although Pittsburgh is no slouch either)

Geography - Pittsburgh (Philly seems flat to me, then again everywhere I go seem flat. Pittsburgh's topography is very unique)

Size - Neither (Due to being extremely subjective. Philly is for BIG city life, Pittsburgh is for Big city life; I could be happy in either, but prefer Pittsburgh)

Lifestyle - Pittsburgh (Again subjective, but I prefer the climate in Pittsburgh [colder, snowier] and access to mountains for skiing is important for me)

Safety - Pittsburgh (Philadelphia isn't the crime ridden hell hole people make it out to be or it once was, but still isn't as safe as Pittsburgh)

Walkibility - Philadelphia (Neither is a slouch, but Philadelphia is flatter and more grid like making for easier commutes via walking)

Skyline - Wow, such a subjective thread. Pittsburgh's is more unique and in a better natural setting, Philadelphia has more larger buildings.

Downtown - Philadelphia (Pittsburgh's is rapidly improving, but CC is already threre)

Food/Restaurants - Philadelphia (Pittsburgh's foodie scene is quickly catching up, but Philadelphia is top notch here)

Education - Tie. (Whoever keeps implying Philadelphia is better here needs to be realistic here they are VERY comparable)

- Penn (Phila) #9
- CMU (Pitt) #23
- Pitt (Pitt) #62
- Drexel (Phila) #101
- Duquesne (Pitt) #115
- Temple (Phila) #116

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges | page 10

Philadelphia has Penn, but Pittsburgh has 2 colleges in the top 100, and both have 3 in the top 150.)

Museums/Art/Festivals - Philadelphia (Just due to sheer volume. Both are highly regarded)

Parks - Tie.

Diversity (neighborhoods) - Pittsburgh. (90 neighborhoods, and 130 sub neighborhoods, ranging from Appalachian backwoods [HAYS] to concrete jungle [OAKLAND] to South Philly [EAST ALLEGHENY] and everything in between)

Jobs/Economy - Pittsburgh (Both are doing "Okay" but terms of job growth, Pittsburgh is leading)

Better Reputation - Pittsburgh (Philadelphia still has a very negative tone about it, that's undeserved)

Sports - Pittsburgh No contest. The only city that can touch Pittsburgh in terms of successful sports is Boston.

Transportation - Philadelphia (SEPTA is much better than PAT, because SEPTA is a top 5 transit system. PAT is very good for its size, still top 10 for the country)

Vibrance/Nightlife Isn't a word. But TIE. (Philadelphia's downtown is far more vibrant, but Pittsburgh has MANY nodes of nightlife and vibrancy that isn't matched throughout the city in Philadelphia)

Pittsburgh - 11
Philadelphia - 11

Old 10-29-2015, 02:38 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
I'll go with Philadelphia.

Why?

- Better airport
- More cosmopolitan
- Hotter
- Better location to access more cities
- Big city
- Has its own culinary scene with its own local cuisine (I don't even like Italian food at all but tolerate it just fine in Philadelphia, so that's saying something -- the bread and sauce seriously helps)
- More broader based economy and an ace in several knowledge based industries
- Works perfectly into my field in consultancy and programming
- Near the coast (I consider Philadelphia a coastal city, all you need are suburbs on the coast and I'm good with that)
- If I wanted to, I could theoretically transfer to a school in Philadelphia to finish graduate school there and the quality of the school would be on par with the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Given its relative affordability, I bet hot neighborhoods like Rittenhouse Square, Queen Village, Society Hill, and others in the core would be great places to invest in the city. It is not like you are paying Boston prices but you are getting amenities and a city on par with Boston. Makes it an investment opportunity, a unique one.

You get the point. Pittsburgh is the "prettier" city but with the relative isolation, the climate, the smaller market size, the less cosmopolitan nature of the city, I go with Philadelphia over it.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's not that close. Philly and Pittsburgh are on different levels in terms of cities. It's like comparing Atlanta to Savannah in the state of Georgia. They're just on different tiers. The gap widens even further when you include the surrounding suburbs of each city. Pittsburgh can't compete with that.

Wow. Hilarious.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...fans+in+sports

Every #1 worst is Philadelphia.

Of all the homerism in your post... I just couldn't let this go.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

again more generalization from Philly Boosters .... what is it with trying to Marginalize the smaller city ....

Philly is Atlanta and Pittsburgh is Savannah = UGH! .. I Didn't know Savannah had 3 major sports team with collectively has more Championship than the almighty Atlanta in the state of GA, 3 top ranked universities, etc ... Wow Savannah is really a sleeper.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
My two favorite cities.

- Penn (Phila) #9
- CMU (Pitt) #23
- Pitt (Pitt) #62
- Drexel (Phila) #101
- Duquesne (Pitt) #115
- Temple (Phila) #116

Parks - Tie.

Pittsburgh - 11
Philadelphia - 11

all fair

on education, I think the part that seperates the two is at the metro level

add in likes of

Villanova
Swartmore
Bryn Mawr
Ursinus
Arcadia
U of DE
etc

and some other like a West Chester plus you did not list St Joes and LaSalle plus Princeton but a story for to many other threads...

Also would give the nod to Philly on the Medical School front though with Pittsburgh not bad at all, especially for its size also on arts schools for Philly

I think Pittsburgh is under rated nationally, and puches above its weight for its size and is heading in the right direction, I like Pittsburgh a lot and prefer Philly but its home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City