Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is #1?
Philadelphia 146 58.17%
Pittsburgh 105 41.83%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 02:01 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Definitely no rivalry. To be honest, I feel that the two cities are so far apart that they hardly think about each other. I would imagine that there's more of a rivalry between Cleveland and Pittsburgh than there is between Philly and Pittsburgh.
Wrong Again, outside of the Browns/Steelers and its more Steelers/Ravens these days .... there isn't any rivalry between Pittsburgh and Cleveland ..... so that puts it about on par with Philly, since there is Pens/Flyers.

PNC park receives far more visiting fans when Pirates are playing an NEC city team, than it does with any of the teams in the Central.

Pittsburgh trades majority of it population (both in-migration and out-migration) with the NEC than before any Midwest Cities, including Cleveland. So much for the Burgh being soooo totally and completely Midwest.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:03 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,208,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Philadelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the west, and Alabama in the middle. Thus quoth James Carville.
I've heard this saying before but I don't think central Pennsylvania and Alabama really have that much in common - other than being fairly conservative (AL more so) and dominated by rural areas and small to medium sized cities. The demographics, development patterns, economy, history, and climate are all very different.

Along similar lines, Birmingham has been called 'Pittsburgh of the South' due to the heavy industry background (which has long since transitioned in both areas) and the hilly terrain. But Pittsburgh is vastly larger and more urban oriented - and in my opinion, has little in common with anywhere in the South.

Just my thoughts ...

Old 10-29-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Maybe Pittsburghers(?) think about Philadelphia. I can't say that the concern is reciprocated. NYC, Baltimore and DC were more on the radar than Pittsburgh ever was for us. Pittsburgh is the same distance from Philly that Boston is.
Wrong again, maybe if you got outside of your i-95 bubble once and awhile. That's my problem with you Philly Boosters, you guys try to come off as some type of NYC-elitist because your 2hr from NYC. Need to eat some humble pie.

Philly boosters want to do to Pittsburgh, what NYC boosters have always done to Philly. Try marginalize the smaller city, nice try, won't work.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:07 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Wrong Again, outside of the Browns/Steelers and its more Steelers/Ravens these days .... there isn't any rivalry between Pittsburgh and Cleveland ..... so that puts it about on par with Philly, since there is Pens/Flyers.

PNC park receives far more visiting fans when Pirates are playing an NEC city team, than it does with any of the teams in the Central.

Pittsburgh trades majority of it population (both in-migration and out-migration) with the NEC than before any Midwest Cities, including Cleveland. So much for the Burgh being soooo totally and completely Midwest.
Place of Birth for Pittsburgh, PA MSA

South - 120,351
Midwest - 103,975
Northeast (outside PA) - 73,315

Old 10-29-2015, 02:09 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Wrong again, maybe if you got outside of your i-95 bubble once and awhile. That's my problem with you Philly Boosters, you guys try to come off as some type of NYC-elitist because your 2hr from NYC. Need to eat some humble pie.

So are you saying people in Philly think more about Pittsburgh than say DC or NYC?

am confused here, and in many ways I think you are right to certain extent, most people here will think more about the other 95 bubble cities and was the point and dont think most people think a ton oabout Pittsburgh, good or bad, may very well be the same case for folks in Pittsburgh not sure what point you are trying to make here

Quote:
So I'm from Philadelphia. And you're trying to tell me that we think about Pittsburgh as much as we do cities that are within a couple hours driving distance?

Elitism has nothing to do with it. It's a simple matter of geography.

1,031 posts, read 2,708,883 times
Quote:

You remind me of the poster from the other thread who was trying to convince everyone that Ohio was a northeastern state. lol

Old 10-29-2015, 02:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I've heard this saying before but I don't think central Pennsylvania and Alabama really have that much in common - other than being fairly conservative (AL more so) and dominated by rural areas and small to medium sized cities. The demographics, development patterns, economy, history, and climate are all very different.

Along similar lines, Birmingham has been called 'Pittsburgh of the South' due to the heavy industry background (which has long since transitioned in both areas) and the hilly terrain. But Pittsburgh is vastly larger and more urban oriented - and in my opinion, has little in common with anywhere in the South.

Just my thoughts ...
I've heard it Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Kentucky as well, which is probably more accurate. "Pennsyltucky"!

Quote:
Place of Birth for Pittsburgh, PA MSA

South - 120,351
Midwest - 103,975
Northeast (outside PA) - 73,315
South-includes W. VA and MD, both of which have borders with PA.
Midwest-includes Ohio-ditto.
Northeast-NY and NJ.

I don't know what Delaware is considered-PA's other US neighbor.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
You remind me of the poster from the other thread who was trying to convince everyone that Ohio was a northeastern state. lol

LOL ... and here comes another Philly Booster ... How many of you guys are there now .... 25 / 30? ... What is there some sort of "Bat" signal and all Philly Boost come out of nowhere, it's like F'ing Power Rangers with you guys ... Where's Rainrock, sure he'll be here soon.

You remind me of the Snobbish "You're Not One of Us" (Northeast) that Boosters try to Cheelerlead because you're not on i-95, never heard a Dumber argument.

Are Philly Boosters the overwhelming the majority of Boosters found in CvC these day? I know most NYC Booster have gotten tired and have disepated in total numbers.... Any other cities have just as many boosters as Philly on this board?

Everything seem to be __________ vs. Philly here, yet media hardly talks about Philly with any relevancy. That's what I mean by Boosters try to instill more influence in Philly than it actually has.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 10-29-2015 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
South-includes W. VA and MD, both of which have borders with PA.
Midwest-includes Ohio-ditto.
Northeast-NY and NJ.

I don't know what Delaware is considered-PA's other US neighbor.
This is true. My point was that there are more native Midwesterners living in the Pittsburgh metro than there are Northeasterners from states other than PA. That's only natural since Pittsburgh is 60 miles closer to Detroit than it is to Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City