Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF: More like LA or Manhattan?
LA 132 41.51%
Manhattan 186 58.49%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 02:27 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,514,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Here's an inconvenient fact that I'm sure never got brought up in this thread-San Francisco's population density is much closer to the San Fernando Valley portion of Los Angeles (the part that historically gets dismissed as a suburb) than it is to Manhattan. Like, way closer.
I've never been to Manhattan, though I have seen a few other Eastern cities. SF, while generally featuring a less car-centric lifestyle in the city itself and somewhat closer to Manhattan in that respect, the difference in density is huge. I didn't realize how huge until I Googled it just now. SF has ~800K people living in roughly 49 square miles, while Manhattan has ~2M people living within less than 23 square miles.

In terms of residential density, L.A. is obviously far more sparsely populated than either of the other two cities, although that can be deceptive in practical terms. Angelenos aren't evenly spread out over the city's entire 450 square miles, tend to be concentrated in certain neighborhoods and along certain traffic corridors. Then there's the density of traffic, which tends to be greater the farther people have to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 10:07 AM

961 posts, read 722,529 times
I kinda get both compares, but honestly SF feels more like Brooklyn to me than Manhattan. When I think of SF, I think more of the neighborhoods around the city with row house, some mid-rise and some low-rise, and the neighborhood bars and restaurants that make it famous. I get much more of that in Brooklyn than I do in Manhattan. Brooklyn is much closer on a density scale too, and it doesn't have the canyons of towers that much of Manhattan has (though it does have a pretty big downtown area of it's own).

But no east-west compare is perfect due to the climate/topography/etc. I'd say Brooklyn first, then Boston.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:23 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yup...Hayes Valley, Upper Market, North Beach, etc.and many neighborhoods are all quite vibrant on saturday evenings.
Could add Marina District and SoMa….and not all Manhattan neighborhoods are bustling with vibrant nightlife activity (UES and Battery Park come to mind).

Last edited by elchevere; 08-30-2022 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-30-2022, 10:39 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Could add Marina District and SoMa….and not all Manhattan neighborhoods are bustling with vibrant nightlife activity (UES and Battery Park come to mind).
Yeah, I was just in the Marina a few fridays ago and the night scene was very active.

I will say that New York has recovered much better than SF post pandemic as far as downtown vibrancy. SF's reliance on tech workers means that all the remote workers get to stay at home and so downtown is still well below what it used to be, however I do notice that things are starting to pick up.

On the other hand, the neighborhoods seem as busy as ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City