Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF: More like LA or Manhattan?
LA 132 41.51%
Manhattan 186 58.49%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:20 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
First off, what does my current location (I was born a New Yorker) have to do with the knowledge I have? You don't know me nor know the places I have lived/visited thank you very much.
The same was insinuated of me (by another poster). Perhaps we give each other a break then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:44 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
First off, what does my current location (I was born a New Yorker) have to do with the knowledge I have? You don't know me nor know the places I have lived/visited thank you very much.

Secondly, I wasn't suggesting that San Francisco's culture is a replica of LAs. It obviously has it's own culture specific to itself, just like any other city. But in terms of similarity, since LA and San Francisco are both in California, they are bound to have way more in common. I'm just not seeing this massive similarity to NYC culture some people are talking about in SF. Hell, they don't even have any Dunkin Donuts.
What are you talking about? San Franciscans are known for being loud, fast talking, no nonsense, say it like it is types! Youse a Dodger fan? FUHGEDDABOUTIT! You sound so Bridge and Tunnel!

Old 04-01-2015, 01:55 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Speaking of which, the Giants are from Manhattan and there are NY Giants championships flags flying at At&t park. If that doesn't scream West Coast Manhattan not sure what else you people need as proof!

Old 04-01-2015, 01:56 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What are you talking about? San Franciscans are known for being loud, fast talking, no nonsense, say it like it is types! Youse a Dodger fan? FUHGEDDABOUTIT! You sound so Bridge and Tunnel!
I think it must be the density of elite (or even "a-non" ones) minds that has me on the outside looking in to understand the overall perspective though oddly understood you reference

Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Why would you want to be the Manhattan of the Westcoast? For the life of me, I just can't understand why a city as unique as SF, would want to limit it's cultural distinction to "Manhattan of The Westcoast". Why do you wish to be New York so bad? Why not embrace being distinctly Californian?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think it must be the density of elite (or even "a-non" ones) minds that has me on the outside looking in to understand the overall perspective though oddly understood you reference
A lot of cities are "similar" on C-D when using broadstrokes.

-Manhattan and SF are liberal
-Manhattan and SF are highly educated
-Manhattan and SF are walkable
-Manhattan and SF are elitist
-Manhattan and SF are transit-oriented
-Manhattan and SF both have Little Italies
-Manhattan and SF have finance
-Manhattan and SF are geographically small
-Manhattan and SF are surrounded by water and connected by bridges

You could go on and on with more broad-based similarities. But most people who've experienced both know they are very different places. SF can have all of those things in common with Manhattan yet still not feel much like it (and in fact still feel more similar to LA).

Old 04-01-2015, 02:14 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
While Manhattan is an urban wonder, SF has the best combo of urban and natural beauty a US city can offer. If I was from SF I'd be pissed about other San Franciscans trying to limit us to "Manhattan of the Westcoast". SF is too geographically distinct from Manhattan. I'd be more prideful in my Californian roots. SF is distinctly Californian. You really couldn't mistake SF for a city in any other state. Even though Palms aren't as prevalent in SF as they are in LA, you still have districts in SF with palm lined streets. You'll find Dates, and Washingtonias and the like. There are also brown rolling hills all around from what I've seen. A descent pan-Asian, Pacific Islander, and Mexican population also. On that note, it seems like the minorities in SF and the Bay have a more statewide Westcoast pride, and a pride in SF being a part of the greater statewide California community. While the "We have an eastcoast vibe", "We're the Manhattan of the West" claim seems to be something more popular with the Whites in SF.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:27 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Los Angeles and San Francisco both have more strongly rooted Asian cultures than Manhattan. In 1930, 0.5% of Manhattan residents were classified as "Indian, Chinese or Japanese." 2.0% of Los Angeles County residents were classified as such (probably higher in the city) and 4.37% were in San Francisco.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:27 PM

104 posts, read 127,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
While the "We have an eastcoast vibe", "We're the Manhattan of the West" claim seems to be something more popular with the Whites in SF.
This is not my understanding at all. People across the board from SF and the Bay Area (Whites and minorities) are very proud of the fact they are part of California and distinctly West Coast. In fact, I've heard many locals say that they view the Bay Area as the "real California" since it was the original developed area and LA has a more superficial, less truly Californian vibe. Not saying I necessarily agree, but this idea that White people from the Bay Area identify more with NYC is nonsense.

I think the main argument anonelitist is trying to make is that - strictly in terms of urban layout and interface - SF has more in common with NYC than LA. And I would agree with that. However, if the argument is that there is more of a cultural similarity or that the topography, vegetation, attitude, etc. are more similar, obviously that's completely wrong. SF and LA are way more similar in those regards. But in urban layout and interface it is more similar to Manhattan.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:28 PM

104 posts, read 127,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Los Angeles and San Francisco both have more strongly rooted Asian cultures than Manhattan. In 1930, 0.5% of Manhattan residents were classified as "Indian, Chinese or Japanese." 2.0% of Los Angeles County residents were classified as such (probably higher in the city) and 4.37% were in San Francisco.
The Bay Area is also about 25% Mexican - that number is way lower in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City