Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of the West Coast Cities
Vancouver 5 5.81%
Victoria 0 0%
Seattle 13 15.12%
Tacoma 0 0%
Olympia 0 0%
San Francisco 27 31.40%
Oakland 2 2.33%
Los Angeles 23 26.74%
Long Beach 1 1.16%
San Diego 14 16.28%
Other 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,493 times

Advertisements

San Diego
LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 PM

221 posts, read 797,933 times
My favorites would be San Francisco and LA.

Least favorite would be San Diego. Far more superficial and annoying than LA!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
Santa Barbara, and a list of several other smaller coastal cities..From Op's list The City of Angels.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Haha, I put the vote in LA's favor! There's no place like home! (especially if you grew up in this place).

Here's also why I voted for LA (keep in mind, its almost 11 PM)

In my area, its 77.2 degrees right now (I live in the San Fernando Valley). I just don't like the City of LA's government. Valley Independence FTW! I am a HUGE fan of warm summer nights (anywhere between 70-80 is perfect!)

When I lived in the Bay Area, the cold summer nights got to me. I hated how it SOMETIMES got hot during the day, but no matter where you were in the Bay Area, it got so cold at night. It almost feels like you're cheated out of warm summer nights, which I love!

I just went for a run right now. It was epic!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:51 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
You my friend have the same taste as me.

San Diego is my favorite one amongst them all too with Los Angeles in second.

1. San Diego
2. Seattle
3. Los Angeles
4. Vancouver
5. The rest

6. San Francisco

I like how beautiful San Francisco is, but I kind of get tired of how over magnified the whole city is. It's beautiful, but it doesn't act like it is? If that makes any sense? This is my personal opinion though.

Plus Southern California >>>>> Northern California any day. I like San Jose a lot more than San Francisco oddly & I guess part of the reason is because of my cousin living in San Jose, so i have more to relate too there.
I agree. San Francisco is so rediculously praised on this board, it makes me want to punch someone San Francisco was ok to me, but in my opinion way too crowded for a city of it's size. The weather was so crummy and the city looked kind of dirty to me.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:54 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
My favorites would be San Francisco and LA.

Least favorite would be San Diego. Far more superficial and annoying than LA!

nah. that's San Francisco. The posters for that place act like it's the only city in the world or something.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
I agree. San Francisco is so rediculously praised on this board, it makes me want to punch someone San Francisco was ok to me, but in my opinion way too crowded for a city of it's size. The weather was so crummy and the city looked kind of dirty to me.
My cousin said at his work he in San Jose there were a lot of people going for the Lakers, and then when he had to commute to San Francisco for a meeting later in the week nearly all his colleagues there were for the Celtics.
What happened to support for your state first?

The city itself is quite nice, and I really don't want to look like I'm bashing it. But I'm just so annoyed of everyone making it look like some Utopian place when it's NOT, they've got a lot of problems (like any city) that they have to fix up. Yet everyone forgives them for having it and just pushes the dirt under the rug it seems, I don't even know if it's the locals or people who just love that place from elsewhere that do all the bragging but it gets done so much.

I hope no one mistook my post as a hate message because I certainly don't hate San Francisco at all, just think it's over magnified to the extreme.

I like Los Angeles for what it is, even if that means smogged (which it's declined on immensely), sprawled, no NFL, and negative connotation of Hollywood and spread out autocentric lifestyle. IMHO, it's a more "real" city in the sense that people see their faults and accept it.

I guess in my personal opinion, I've just connected more to one over the other. Or it could be my cousins resentment of San Francisco always overshadowing San Jose's prominence that makes me feel the way I do about it. San Jose is the capital of the Silicon Valley and it's MSA is the largest concentration of tech companies in the world. Unfortunately it gets overshadowed for that... not as badly as Oakland does though.

Before people jump on to bash- remember, this is a personal opinion, you don't have to feel the same way as me, doesn't mean you're wrong. (just a reminder)

But like I said, San Francisco is beautiful, I just wish it "acted" more like it looks. (If that makes any sense? lol)

Last edited by DANNYY; 07-14-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 09:20 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
My cousin said at his work he in San Jose there were a lot of people going for the Lakers, and then when he had to commute to San Francisco for a meeting later in the week nearly all his colleagues there were for the Celtics.
They're obsessed with hating Los Angeles.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
They're obsessed with hating Los Angeles.
I don't get that though, they'd rather support a team on the other coast than a team in their own state?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 AM

705 posts, read 1,660,971 times
Quote:

The city itself is quite nice, and I really don't want to look like I'm bashing it. But I'm just so annoyed of everyone making it look like some Utopian place when it's NOT, they've got a lot of problems (like any city) that they have to fix up. Yet everyone forgives them for having it and just pushes the dirt under the rug it seems, I don't even know if it's the locals or people who just love that place from elsewhere that do all the bragging but it gets done so much.

I hope no one mistook my post as a hate message because I certainly don't hate San Francisco at all, just think it's over magnified to the extreme.

I like Los Angeles for what it is, even if that means smogged (which it's declined on immensely), sprawled, no NFL, and negative connotation of Hollywood and spread out autocentric lifestyle. IMHO, it's a more "real" city in the sense that people see their faults and accept it.

I guess in my personal opinion, I've just connected more to one over the other. Or it could be my cousins resentment of San Francisco always overshadowing San Jose's prominence that makes me feel the way I do about it. San Jose is the capital of the Silicon Valley and it's MSA is the largest concentration of tech companies in the world. Unfortunately it gets overshadowed for that... not as badly as Oakland does though.

Before people jump on to bash- remember, this is a personal opinion, you don't have to feel the same way as me, doesn't mean you're wrong. (just a reminder)

But like I said, San Francisco is beautiful, I just wish it "acted" more like it looks. (If that makes any sense? lol)
You, like other Midwest posters come off like you have a serious axe to grind with California, and San Francisco in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City