Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What's the best thing to come out of Alabama?
I-20!

Actually it will be a PSU victory in a few weeks over the tide

But you guys are tough on poor Alabama, there are definately some pretty girls that I have seen from Alabama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Oringinally Posted by Kid Philly
I believe both Princeton and Rutgers are rated above all the GA schools mentioned on academics
Princeton's pretty tough but I wouldn't say Rutgers is rated higher than Georgia Tech or Emory. Not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I don't think most people realize just how great Georgia Tech is.

Ranked number 4 Engineering school in U.S. after M.I.T, Stanford, and Berkley by U.S. Today.
Rankings - Project - Graduate Schools - Education - US News

Consistently among the highest paid graduating students in the Nation. Best Engineering Colleges By Salary Potential

Top producer of Black Engineers in America. Georgia Tech named top producer of African-American engineers. - Free Online Library

Diverse Education (http://diverseeducation.com/cache/print.php?articleId=6326 - broken link)

A leader in Nano Technology Research and Development.
Georgia Institute of Technology :: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology : Laboratories and Facilities

All that and a National Championship contending Football Team. That's just about unheard of anywhere else.
And both Emory and Georgia Tech beat Rutgers when it comes to SAT scores of their entering Freshmen! http://www.stateuniversity.com/rank/...pctl_rank.html

Both are also ranked far ahead of Rutgers by U.S. News National University rankings with Emory near the top. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ities-rankings U.S. News College ranking has long been one of if not the most popular rankings of College and Universities in America.

I know Rutgers is a good school. I have a close relative that works there. But I don't think you realize that Emory is just about an Ivy League school and Georgia Tech has long been considered one of the very best and certainly most rigorous Engineering schools in the Nation and has top notch pay for graduates as a result.

Last edited by Galounger; 08-23-2010 at 09:19 AM..

Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Princeton's pretty tough but I wouldn't say Rutgers is rated higher than Georgia Tech or Emory. Not at all.

And both Emory and Georgia Tech beat Rutgers when it comes to SAT scores of their entering Freshmen! Top 500 Ranked Universities for Highest SAT 75th Percentile Scores

Both are also ranked far ahead of Rutgers by U.S. News National University rankings with Emory near the top. National Universities Rankings - Best College - Education - US News U.S. News College ranking has long been one of if not the most popular rankings of College and Universities in America.

There are also academic rankings that place Rutgers ahead (think grapico posted the links sometime back) I also think US News is a bit of popularity contest similar to many forbes lists

And I am not saying they are not good schools but outside of Football these days I believe Rugters is rated higher on academics and research and graduate level studies

other schools with National Championship Contention and high Academics that jump to mind are Va Tech, Michigan, PSU, Stanford, UCLA, USC...

Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
There are also academic rankings that place Rutgers ahead (think grapico posted the links sometime back) I also think US News is a bit of popularity contest similar to many forbes lists

And I am not saying they are not good schools but outside of Football these days I believe Rugters is rated higher on academics and research and graduate level studies

other schools with National Championship Contention and high Academics that jump to mind are Va Tech, Michigan, PSU, Stanford, UCLA, USC...
U.S. News partially does their rankings based on grades and SAT scores of entering Freshman. Some is based on amount of research done at school and part is based on how many students go to graduate school. Trust me Georgia Tech is no joke. I've heard so many graduate students say they found MIT or Stanford (The Harvard and Yale of Engineering Schools) to be no harder or easier than Georgia Tech. And Emory due to it's closeness to The Center of Desease Control does some of the most important medical research in the Nation. It doesn't take much checking around to see how legit the two schools credentials are.

BTW Emory doesn't have a football team and Georgia Tech (like Notre Dame used to be) is one of those rare schools that has great football despite being great and demanding in academics (not at the price of losing it). I don't know about PSU but most Georgia Tech students wish they had it as easy as Michigan's Engineering Students never mind their other students.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
U.S. News partially does their rankings based on grades and SAT scores of entering Freshman. Some is based on amount of research done at school and part is based on how many students go to graduate school. Trust me Georgia Tech is no joke. I've heard so many graduate students say they found MIT or Stanford (The Harvard and Yale of Engineering Schools) to be easier than Georgia Tech. And Emory due to it's closeness to The Center of Desease Control does some of the most important medical research in the Nation. It doesn't take much checking around to see how legit the two schools credentials are.

BTW Emory doesn't have a football team and Georgia Tech (like Notre Dame used to be) is one of those rare schools that has great football despite being great and demanding in academics (not at the price of losing it).

I am not saying they are not good schools, quite the contrary, it is just my opinion that NJ's are better, both should be proud of their schools. And maybe I am also emphasizing graduate studies

And Yes I know Emory does not but was demonstrating other schools high on academics and athletics similar to G Tech and UGA, I forgot ND on football, wow what some bad seasons will do, and a few others as well

Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I believe both Princeton and Rutgers are rated above all the GA schools mentioned on academics

Short Hills is probably more high end than the one in Buckhead (is it Lenox, can't remember) But really don't see the point in mall discussions both probably have good ones and they really all pretty much seem the same
according to the current rankings by us news for the top schools in the nation, it goes:

-princeton
-emory
-ga tech
-uga
-rutgers

....georgia has 3 schools in the top 60. new jersey only has princeton. not to mention that georgia also has the international SCAD (in savannah) and don't forget morehouse and spelman. so jersey may have THE best school, but georgia is all around a better college state in my opinion

and it's just my opinion that georgia has better shopping

Old 08-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
according to the current rankings by us news for the top schools in the nation, it goes:

-princeton
-emory
-ga tech
-uga
-rutgers

....georgia has 3 schools in the top 60. new jersey only has princeton. not to mention that georgia also has the international SCAD (in savannah) and don't forget morehouse and spelman. so jersey may have THE best school, but georgia is all around a better college state in my opinion

and it's just my opinion that georgia has better shopping

But there are academic rankings, not US News that place Rutgers above - again they are all good, Also Seton Hall, Trenton State, Montclair etc are also not being included in the comparison

The other part is NJs High Schools would be rated above GA as well

Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Why are people stuck on colleges- What about HS rankings?

NJ has some of the best public school systems in the nation. Having good colleges is nice, NJ has enough for its size (Princeton is one of the best), plus NYU, Columbia, and Penn State are all close by- They may not be in NJ, but I know plenty of people who live in NJ and go to college in NYC- so that shouldn't be an obstacle in this discussion.

HS Grad rates (not including people who went and got a GED)-
NJ- 75%
GA- 54%

NJ also has some of the highest black and Latino graduation rates.
GA has some of the lowest black/Latino graduation rates.

Nearly 90% of whites graduate in NJ
About 60% of whites graduate in GA

Out of the 15 most populated states- NJ has the highest graduation rates (tied with MI and MA)
GA has the lowest Graduation rates in the nation.

High School Graduation Rates in the United States | Table 1
~~

Best Educated states overall- NJ is #4, GA is #40
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 07:49 AM..

Old 08-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
^^^^^^ The article is from 2001...

Old 08-23-2010, 01:56 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
^^^^^^ The article is from 2001...

http://www.all4ed.org/files/Georgia_wc.pdf - 56%

http://www.all4ed.org/files/NewJersey_wc.pdf - 82%

I'm not trying to downplay GA- But colleges aren't the only measurement of education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City