Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
It's all about the East Coast, you know it! 43 33.59%
It's all about the West Coast, you know it! 19 14.84%
I liked both, but I liked East Coast more. 44 34.38%
I liked both, but I liked West Coast more. 22 17.19%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

There should be a "tie" option in the poll.

Who can honestly say they'd take Ready to Die over All Eyez On Me? Or Doggystyle over Cuban Linx? I bang all of them with equal regularity on my iPod. It's a straight draw. I won't take a side!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 10:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,206 times
Do you wear baggy pants that hang down past your butt and wear your hat sideways too?

Old 08-30-2010, 10:24 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
The thing is, good artists from New York aren't getting any play these days either. Nobody is playing Papoose or Immortal Technique. Damn near any great NY artist that has gotten a lot of play has come from the 90s or before.
thats not true. jay gets play. cam and vado get play (i know because i've heard them on the radio in the south). nicki minaj gets play.

you might not consider them good artists...thats subjective tho. regardless, the above names are holding ny down on radio outside of the tristate.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Do you wear baggy pants that hang down past your butt and wear your hat sideways too?
The kids are wearing skinny jeans that hang past their butts these days. Get with the times, man.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:27 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,404,793 times
I like how you put "liked." I think Hip HOp is dead.

But from the Mid 80s to Late 90s.....it was all bout the East Coast.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 AM
eek

IMO it shouldn't be a tie. the east clearly has had the better hip hop over the years. if we're going to talk about the time frame where the east west stuff was going on, we still had the better hip hop.

the whole wu tang movement, the bad boy era, the rocafella era as well as us on neptunes beats, us on tim beats, etc. we just won, period, no matter the decade (up until 2004).

Old 08-30-2010, 10:30 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
IMO it shouldn't be a tie. the east clearly has had the better hip hop over the years. if we're going to talk about the time frame where the east west stuff was going on, we still had the better hip hop.

the whole wu tang movement, the bad boy era, the rocafella era as well as us on neptunes beats, us on tim beats, etc. we just won, period, no matter the decade (up until 2004).
It's subjective. I'd understand if both areas had the same sound, but they are different and one may prefer one over the other.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:32 AM
eek

its not really subjective to be honest. name all the west coast artists that you think/thought put out good music from 1979-2004 and then we can name all of the east coast artists from the same time. you would clearly run out of artists, hits, songs that got spins nationwide, etc.

the east clearly wins this easily. its just fact. even if YOU personally didn't feel the east coast, by sheer airplay spins/requests, sales, hits on the charts, impact on music, urban fashion, etc. in general, the east is the clear winner.

anybody that has been alive since before the 90's can tell you.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,987 times
Quote:
But like I was saying before, a lot of that music has lost it's original value because it has become somewhat of a minstrel show for suburban White folks. I was at the Rock the Bells concert in Maryland yesterday. I saw about 10,000+ suburban looking White people age 25-50 wearing Wu-Tang shirts. It's entertaining to watch a crowd full of uncool White people scream the lyrics to "C.R.E.A.M."; a song about sticking up White boys in ball courts, selling crack going to jail at the age of 15 and "kicking the truth to the young Black youth". Absolutely laughable.

I'm just glad I grew up in an environment where our music never was exposed to those types of squares. No packed arena full of dorks will ever be screaming anthems from my hood. Lakeview, San Francisco is in this batch:

Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

The East didn't have better hip hop during the relevant time period. When we say East Coast/West Coast, we're really talking Bad Boy/Death Row. Doggystyle and the Chronic were BOMBS. Illmatic, OBCL, 36 Chambers, Life After Death were all good albums, but Doggystyle and the Chronic just changed the game. We were all getting tired of the same East Coast sound, and the Chronic just came through and set fire to our eardrums. The sound was so different; we had never heard anything like it at the time. Then you add Pac to the mix...Makaveli, Gang Related Soundtrack, All Eyez On Me, man, that's a lethal combination. Snoop had Philly on lock the summer of '94. Every kid was walking down Germantown Avenue singing the chorus to Gin And Juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City