Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington or Minnesota?
Washington 48 55.81%
Minnesota 38 44.19%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,519 times

Advertisements

Minnesota is beautiful. I actually pick Minnesota, I know it lacks a little but Minnesota is amazingly beautiful.I REALLY DONT CARE HOW COLD IT IS ONE THING I KNOW FOR SURE MINNESOTA IS A GREAT STATE TO LIVE IN.Washington has it lacks too. BUT I GUESS IT good too. Minnesota lacks are : bad roads and totally bad houses if those change THEN ITS PERFECT LOOK AT MINNESOTA'S city it WOW IT HAS : mall of AMERICA and VALLEY FAIR, a somailian mall and it has 10,000 lake so the must be so many parks etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 08:49 AM

12 posts, read 24,500 times
I currently live in Bellingham Washington and am currently in the process of moving to the Minneapolis area.
In Minnesota I've lived in: Minneapolis and Duluth. (I've also lived in Madison Wisconsin and Chicago)
In Washington I've lived in: Many different areas of Seattle...Queen Anne, Magnolia, Univ. District and Wallingford...I've also lived in Raymond, Issaquah and Bellingham Washington.

I was born and raised in Seattle but you'll never find me in that city again except for errands. The Land Rover dealership and PCC markets are down there along with the occasional retro Craigslist find. Otherwise I will never return to Seattle on any level whatsoever.
Too many people have moved there and completely ruined it. And I mean recently. At least with Chicago and San Francisco they absorb the newbies...for the most part. I'm sure there are people from both cities that will argue otherwise.
But with Seattle it's only the last twenty years and the cities answer to it? Mow everything down and put up brand new buildings. This is fine if you're a vacuous entity incapable of substance and lacking, more often than not, in character.
And that's what has happened to Seattle. I see entire swaths of the city that have disappeared. Ask any true Seattlelite and they'll express the same feelings. It is a shame indeed.

Washington is a great state. It's the only state I have found with such incredible diversity in both people and the topography. Various sets of mountains flank the entire state....In the center of the state you'll find a blank plateau, which is kind of nice. Pullman is a wonderful college town in that it doesn't act like one...for the most part. Spokane may as well be in Kansas for how the people are, the buildings appear and the basic mindset. It's still a great place...reminds me of a town built around trains. Like Chicago in the early days.
Going down to Aberdeen and the Raymond area you'll find a lot of wetness, bogs and trees. It can be beautiful and then suddenly, it's like a documentary about a waste planet gone awry.

More on Washington state later.

I love Minnesota because you get what you see. And you can see for miles. It's dry when it needs to be and rains when it should. The snow is a benefit for anyone who enjoys diversity. If you can't wake up at least a few times a year and go outside and have a good ol' fashioned snowball fight then you'd better move. Because there is nothing better than all of us coming into the mud room and smelling newly burnt wood from the fireplace and hot chocolate. Snow comes off of you whereas the wetness of many parts of Washington, does not. Here in Bellingham Washington it's been sunny these past few days but in many cases.....how would anyone know? The trees and hills and mountains are so plentiful that seeing anything beyond what's right in front of me is mostly impossible.
I get sick of the twists and turns and up and down and the west coast attitude.

That's what I wanted to talk about. Remember when I said they mowed everything down in Seattle? That includes craftsman style homes in order to fit three town homes made in a west coast style that is just not attractive. And because of the climate you'll find a lot of newer homes are shoddy at best.
I've watched them build several homes in Seattle and I find it's just a shame. Also, they wouldn't stand a chance in Minnesota. The people in Minnesota will stop in 10º temps to help out a fellow motorist. People, for the most part, especially on the west side, will get aggravated that you had the audacity to have car trouble in front of them.
Ridiculous. And I'm sick of it. Hence our move to the Minneapolis area. The Mosquito may be the state bird of Minnesota and it can get cold enough to kill you but that's fine by me...because it brings character to the table one won't otherwise find in a state without self instituted friction.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:36 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,672 times
Washington is more beautiful, and Seattle is a more interesting city than Minneapolis. However Seattle is way more expensive than Minneapolis, and has worse summer weather.

But I'd still take Seattle without hesitation, not that I have much love for Seattle.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:46 PM

172 posts, read 291,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs View Post
I guess I never really realized how similar these states are. I have been to Minnesota and not Washington, but I have been told a lot about Washington. Here are some thoughts.

Minnesota: Amazing summers, only amazing winters if you like snowmobiling; diverse state (forests, farms, cities, etc.); gorgeous landscape; Minneapolis is an underrated city.

Washington: Rainy; beautiful countryside; Seattle is underrated as well; more mild climate; also gorgeous landscape.

I would give the edge to MN, but both are pretty awesome.
Washington has better summers than Minnesota, hands down. Seattle has arguably one of the best summers in the country.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_ View Post
Washington has better summers than Minnesota, hands down. Seattle has arguably one of the best summers in the country.
Not really. It probably feels that way to someone leaving in Seattle because it's the first time you see your sun

Old 03-14-2015, 05:33 AM

12 posts, read 24,500 times
Default Seattle Summer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_ View Post
Yes, Seattle summers are THE best in the country...easily.

I have lived in Maryland, Louisiana, Florida, California, Minnesota, Chicago, Kansas City, Wichita, Burlington VT, Montpelier VT, Seattle, Bellingham WA and Hawaii.....There is no better summer time than in Seattle Washington.
Luckily I've had the opportunity to travel all over the country for 30 years and my birthday is June 15th. I point this out because I always remember what the weather was like on that day. It's about the best day of the year to have a birthday considering weather.
Seattle has never failed.....Ever.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryofjack View Post
I've been to Seattle in the summer, didn't see anything special about your summer. It's too cool, and if you're in love with those late summer nights, other areas get those too, like Minneapolis as an example.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:44 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryofjack View Post
I was in the Puget Sound area last July, and it was hellaciously hot the entire time (90s). The whole reason I had planned a Seattle vacation at that time of the year was because summers there are supposed to be mild. Needless to say, it wasn't as enjoyable as I had hoped.

I did spend some time at Olympic National Park, and that's what I would call an ideal summer climate. Upper 70s inland, 60s on the beach. Can't get any better than that!

Old 03-14-2015, 12:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I was in the Puget Sound area last July, and it was hellaciously hot the entire time (90s). The whole reason I had planned a Seattle vacation at that time of the year was because summers there are supposed to be mild. Needless to say, it wasn't as enjoyable as I had hoped.

I did spend some time at Olympic National Park, and that's what I would call an ideal summer climate. Upper 70s inland, 60s on the beach. Can't get any better than that!
Ah, you came during a heat wave. Yea, when Seattle has a heat wave it does suck because there's no breeze, nothing else to help make it more enjoyable. Its usually is upper 70s, low 80s.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:32 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Washington is more beautiful, and Seattle is a more interesting city than Minneapolis. However Seattle is way more expensive than Minneapolis, and has worse summer weather.

But I'd still take Seattle without hesitation, not that I have much love for Seattle.
Having lived in both Minneapolis and Seattle, I find Minneapolis to be more interesting: all four major pro sports, four fully-distinct seasons, unparalleled recreational opportunities within the city itself, a higher level of fine arts organizations. It simply meets my personal preferences better than does Seattle.

If I were young and single, Seattle would my preference. Seattle also has what is arguably the most scenic location of any major city in the country. The mountains on one side and the ocean on the other is hard to beat.

I don't really think either state stands out from the other in terms of overall scenic beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City